Author Topic: It's been too long.  (Read 1072 times)

Offline shuboyje

It's been too long.
« on: July 14, 2012, 06:20:41 PM »
Between driving 200 miles a day for work and spending my free time on a classic car I recently purchased it had been way too long since I fired up my oven.  Last night I made a couple pies for my wife and I.

This is a new dough I had been working on prior to my hiatus.  48 hr room temperature ferment using cake yeast and a re-ball.  I'm trying to get it to the point of not needing a re-ball, but even with a tiny amount of yeast it just didn't happen in this summer heat.  That said I was still very happy with the results.  This one cooked somewhere in the 40-50 second range in a oven with tons of top heat.  Both the top heat and the dough are my attempts to emulate some of my interpretations of Da Michele. 
-Jeff

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: It's been too long.
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 06:43:54 PM »
Is there a basil shortage in your area?!   Just kidding, that looks great.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 11:06:49 PM »
Little secret.  My wife opens the skins and dresses the pies.  She has a long background in the pizza industry, so when I built an oven and we started making pizza it just happened that she opened the dough and dressed the skins.  I love basil, she on the other hand tends to go light.  It's something we have disagreed about a few times in the past, lol.  Would you believe we have wonderful basil booming in the backyard right now?
-Jeff

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 12:40:30 AM »
Aside from the lack of basil, your pizza looks great. Now, tell me about the car! :P

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 09:37:39 AM »
Aside from the lack of basil, your pizza looks great. Now, tell me about the car! :P

I'd rather hear about the wife's long background in pizza. ;D
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 10:16:02 AM »
Jeff,

Great looking pie!  ;D

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 10:16:27 AM »
Well, the car is a 69' MG Midget.  It wouldn't come into a good idle and during my "investigation" I found poor compression.  Pulled the head and found some valves and guides in bad shape, so I rebuilt the head.  Got that back on and  now have good compression.  Still won't idle.  So now it's time to rebuild the carbs, lol.

As for my wife, she was general manager of Pizza Hut's for years.  I've posted about it in other places a few times.  She was there the sad day they removed the old hobart mixers from the store and went 100% to what they call commissary dough.
-Jeff

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 11:12:56 AM »
Sounds like a cool ride!

Unfortunately e ethanol gas we all get varnsihes very quickly. What does it have twin webers?  Pilot jet idle circuit jet and transition port are usually the first to clog since theyre so tiny. Did you happen to check the timing?
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 01:30:19 PM »
Beautiful pie Jeff.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 01:47:35 PM »
Sounds like a cool ride!

Unfortunately e ethanol gas we all get varnsihes very quickly. What does it have twin webers?  Pilot jet idle circuit jet and transition port are usually the first to clog since theyre so tiny. Did you happen to check the timing?

It's a neat little car.  My wife has wanted one for a while, and I'm into british engineering(if it's fair to call what they do that) and small cars, so it was a perfect fit.  I was looking for a project and found this before I could find the 67' Royal Enfield Interceptor 750 I've been drooling over for 10 years, lol. 

It is twin carbs, but not webers.  It has twin SU HS4's.  If you know anything about those you know carbs don't get much simpler.  I'm pretty confident it is a stuck needle, but will probably do a full rebuild.  That is just the way I am.  The guy I bought it from claimed to have rebuilt them, but they sure don't look it.

Thanks for the compliments on the pie.  It may be the last for a while again, I'm FINALLY gonna start to tile it soon, but have a small issue I have to address first...more on that later.
-Jeff