Author Topic: Catagorizing Different Pizza Styles...  (Read 2344 times)

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
Catagorizing Different Pizza Styles...
« on: July 15, 2012, 09:52:52 AM »
...seems to be a lot like attempting to pigeonhole different types of music into a specific genre.   :-\

I don't know, this site is already driving me nuts.  Nothing's ever simple these days, huh?  LOL   ;D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 10:38:39 AM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Classifying Different Pizza Styles...
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 10:54:53 AM »
...seems to be a lot like categorizing different types of music into a specific genre.   :-\

Pete,

That is correct. When I joined the forum in early August, 2004, there were about 454 topics and 4177 posts. At the time, there were far fewer categories in the indexing system, and there were very few child boards. Nonetheless, Steve and the Moderators decided to have much greater granularity in the indexing system in anticipation that the forum might experience significant growth. Fast forward to this morning as I compose this post, there are now 18,459 topics and 195,620 posts. You can imagine what would have happened if all of those topics and posts were crammed into the original indexing system. Our members would be screaming and demanding that we break down the categories into smaller pieces.   

The above said, since the indexing system was reorganized, I believe we have added only two new categories, one for Specialty-Grain Pizzas and one for Gluten Free. In both of those cases, there was substantial debate among Steve and the Moderators before adding those two categories. We have always been sensitive about not having too many categories. But, as I see it, things could be much worse. For example, Steve could have elected to have a chronological system where posts are entered chronologically. That is the system used at the PMQ Think Tank (see, for example, http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewforum.php?f=6). That means that to find posts earlier than say, a few days, you have to scroll back through the pages in sequence or use the search engine (which happens not to be as good as our search engines). The negative of using an indexing system like ours is that someone has to look at every new post to be sure that it is in the right place. I estimate that this year alone we will be adding around 55,000 new posts.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Catagorizing Different Pizza Styles...
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 12:13:30 PM »
I'm a member of a few dozen forums and they all have this problem.The moderators do the best we can moving posts that have been placed in the incorrect sub-forums, but there are many posts that span multiple categories. One of the best things members can do is to have meaningful subject lines for new threads to make it easier for others to scan lists of posts. Example subject lines:

"You won't believe what I just made" - WRONG
"A New York style pizza with 3 kinds of mushrooms" - BETTER

BTW, I'm moving this thread into the "FORUM INFO" section.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 12:16:16 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 12:40:51 PM »
I second what Bill says about the topic headings. The forum's Advanced search feature allows one to search by using keywords found in topic headings. I often remember what I and others post in their topic headings and search just the headings for specific words. It is a great time saver.

Peter

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 09:27:39 PM »
I wondered where this thread got to...   :)

Anyway, I definitely get what you guys are saying.  That's why they came up with the Latin-based binomial classification system for plants and animals...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_nomenclature

I wonder if a similar system should be developed for pizza considering the myriad of different styles and sub-styles that exist today.  I'd hate to have to be the one who might attempt to create an evolutionary flow chart, however.   ::)

It took me like an hour to figure out where I should put my "Smokey Grill" thread.  That's why I brought this up.  LOL   ;D

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 01:55:35 PM »
This is merely a suggestion but...

...come to think of it, I just may have to nominate the "Trenton Style" tomato pie as a potential new catagory considering that appears to be the origin of the mid-Atlantic boardwalk-types and, of course, my beloved Papa Dino's here in southcentral PA.  The extensive use of mild cheddar with or without mozzarella and/or other cheeses would differentiate that particular variety from a typical New York-style Neopolitan-American.

The second-oldest pizza establishment in America just happens to serve the Trenton style...

http://www.papastomatopies.com/   ;D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 02:20:25 PM »
Pete,

There are several regional pizza styles, such as the Detroit, St. Louis, New Haven and Old Forge styles, that do not have a seat at the table. As I noted a few years ago, at Reply 10 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5994.msg53363/topicseen.html#msg53363, a couple members made a plea to have a board for the New Haven style. When I did a search for posts devoted to "making" New Haven style pizzas, as opposed to subsidiary aspects, I found only one thread. That was not enough to support a board devoted solely to that style. At one point, Peter Reinhart classified the New Haven style of pizza with the "elite" NY styles, as I noted at Reply 8 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15718.msg154500/topicseen.html#msg154500.

Peter

buceriasdon

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 06:07:50 PM »
I've always thought that thin and crispy has gotten the short end of the deal being lumped in with Chicago Deep Dish or in General. Oh well...........
Don

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 06:29:56 PM »
Don,

The Chicago thin style pizza has always been somewhat an anomaly. Actually, the Chicago thin style pizza is by far the predominant Chicago style, not the Chicago deep-dish style. Yet, the Chicago thin style pizza is not the same as the cracker-style pizzas that are embraced by the Cracker Style board, which generally tend to be more crispy and cracker like than the Chicago thin style pizza because the doughs used to make those pizzas generally contain a lot less oil or other fat than is typically used to make the Chicago thin style pizzas.

If you look at the recipes given at the PMQ Recipe Bank for the Chicago Cracker Style Pizza Crust at http://www.pmq.com/Recipe-Bank/index.php/name/Chicago-Cracker-Style-Pizza-Crust/record/57734/, courtesy of Tom Lehmann, who hails from the Chicago South Side, you can see how the doughs for the two Chicago styles can be quite similar. In fact, there are some Chicago pizza operators who use the same dough for both styles. Chicago natives are proud of their thin style pizzas and would like to keep them as a strictly Chicago tradition and not be grouped with the types of pizzas that are embraced by the Cracker Style board. One member, CDNpielover, went so far as to come up with a list of threads devoted to the Chicago thin style pizza. The new thread is under the Chicago Style board.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 08:16:50 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 10:08:03 AM »
Pete,

There are several regional pizza styles, such as the Detroit, St. Louis, New Haven and Old Forge styles, that do not have a seat at the table. As I noted a few years ago, at Reply 10 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5994.msg53363/topicseen.html#msg53363, a couple members made a plea to have a board for the New Haven style. When I did a search for posts devoted to "making" New Haven style pizzas, as opposed to subsidiary aspects, I found only one thread. That was not enough to support a board devoted solely to that style. At one point, Peter Reinhart classified the New Haven style of pizza with the "elite" NY styles, as I noted at Reply 8 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15718.msg154500/topicseen.html#msg154500.

Peter

Well geez Peter, "California-style" is nothing but a mish-mash of other types except it has fruits and nuts on it.  LOLOLOL   :-D

They do pretty well with hamburgers, however.   ;D

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 10:19:40 AM »
Well geez Peter, "California-style" is nothing but a mish-mash of other types except it has fruits and nuts on it.

Pete,

At one point some thought was actually given to doing away with the California Style category, because of low popularity on the forum, but that is a legitimate category so we left it in.

Peter

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 11:28:11 PM »
Pete,

At one point some thought was actually given to doing away with the California Style category, because of low popularity on the forum, but that is a legitimate category so we left it in.

Peter

HMMMM, once the place finally falls into the sea, that'll solve that problem now, won't it?  LOL   :P

Offline matermark

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 10:46:05 PM »
HMMMM, once the place finally falls into the sea, that'll solve that problem now, won't it?  LOL   :P

I guess I will have to count the hits on "Old Forge", "Victory Pig", "Revello's", "Pizza L'Oven", "Tommy's", "NEPA", "Arcaro", "Sizzle-Pi", "Club 17", etc. Add any others I may have forgotten Pete!

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 11:52:23 AM »

Pete, please throw life preservers, I live near the coast!

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

pizzapan