Author Topic: What is your Favorite NY style dough recipe and preparation method?  (Read 1035 times)

Offline eiram21

Hello all!

I've been wondering if you might share your favorite recipe and also your method of preparation for NY style dough? I'm assuming that there are many slight variations out there for yeast percentages, order of ingredients added, bulk rise times, cold rise or not, use of sugar/oil, type of oil, length of fermentation, oven temp and configuration etc. It would great to hear about a your favorite go-to recipe!

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Marie
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 11:20:54 AM by eiram21 »
Marie

buceriasdon

Re: What is your Favorite NY style dough recipe and preparation method?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 12:26:09 PM »
A good place to start reading is Peter's Roadmap here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1453.0.html

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:09:29 PM »
Marie,

For non-Lehmann NY styles, you might take a look at the compilations given at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11860.msg110288.html#msg110288. I would say that the Glutenboy NY style is perhaps the most popular non-Lehmann NY style based on feedback. The JerryMac NY style is also a favorite although it is not as classic a NY style as others (it uses a preferment, an above average hydration value and a fair amount of sweetener). abilak's NY style is another big favorite based on member feedback.

A good starting point would be to look at the photos shown in the links referenced above, and those in any other threads that strike your interest, to see if the photos inspire you to make a selection.

There are also countless versions of the basic Lehmann NY style. Maybe some of our members with their favorite versions will step forward and reveal them.

Usually, to make it into the compilations, the NY styles listed had to have compelling reasons to make the lists. That usually means strong positive member feedback. I periodically update the compilations but it is possible that there are some good examples that I have missed. Our members are so prolific that it is hard to keep up with them, and my mind isn't always on the matter. So, I invite our members to alert me via PM to missed non-Lehmann NY style recipes that should be considered for inclusion. For newer recipes, I usually wait to see if they gain traction among the members, with good feedback and high marks. I did include several Peter Reinhart recipes for his NY style even though I don't consider them to be in the classic NY style mold. If someone calls their recipe a NY style, I take their word for it and leave it to others to accept or reject.

Peter

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 06:35:25 PM »
Here is my favorite recipe out of the 50 or so I have tried.  Be sure to do the 15hr room temp poolish beforehand.  Everything u need is in this thread.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15563.0.html
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 07:12:38 PM »
Here is my favorite recipe out of the 50 or so I have tried.  Be sure to do the 15hr room temp poolish beforehand.  Everything u need is in this thread.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15563.0.html

Nate,

John (fazzari) posted the recipes you referenced on the General Pizza Making board, not the NY style board. But, to be fair to John, who has previously indicated that he has never had a real NY style pizza, his recipes do line up reasonably well from a baker's percent standpoint with the NY style even though honey and preferments are not normally used to make a classic NY style pizza. Also, I calculated a thickness factor of 0.10823 for John's 12" pizza. That is quite a bit higher than most NY style pizzas but it is not completely out of the ballpark. Also, again to be fair to John, he acknowledged that the crust could be thinner, as by stretching the skin to make a larger pizza. That would lower the thickness factor and possibly bring it into the range used to make a classic NY style pizza.

In many respects, and apart from the use of honey instead of sucrose (ordinary table sugar) and a preferment and a slightly thicker crust, John's total dough formulation falls within the ambit of a basic Lehmann NY style dough formulation, especially when one elects to ferment the dough for several days, which is when the honey (or sugar) kicks in.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 08:51:03 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline eiram21

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 08:11:11 PM »
Thanks, all!  I'll check out the links that were posted.

Peter, right after I began this thread I noticed a sticky on the board regarding non-Lehmann recipes. I am going to try the second one listed (I can't recall the author, sorry - I think Jerry Mac). I wanted to also try the first one listed but it mentions that it is best suited for higher temps (600s), which I can't achieve in my home oven.

Marie

Marie

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 09:13:59 PM »
Peter,

I stretch the Reinhardt recipe out super thin and it tastes like new York to me however the crust flavor far exceeds any basic ny dough I have tried due to the preferment.  What makes a pizza new York anyways?  It's just hydration and thickness right?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 09:28:12 PM by pythonic »
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 08:45:23 AM »
What makes a pizza new York anyways?  It's just hydration and thickness right?

Nate,

There really is no single NY style dough formulation or pizza. The reason is that the NY style pizza evolved over a period of many decades. The common denominator of all of the iterations of the NY style pizza through history is flour, water, yeast, salt, a fairly thin crust and a large size (18" is typical). No sugar and no oil (they came later with the invention of the commercial deck oven). If you are interested in the evolution of the NY style pizza, there is a very informative thread on the subject at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14920.0.html. If you read that thread, I believe that there is enough information there to allow one to make NY style pizzas that are targeted to several different points in time during the evolution of the NY style. Ingredients (e.g., flours, yeast, etc.) and equipment (e.g., commercial mixers, refrigeration and ovens) changed over time as they came into being or were invented, but one might still come reasonably close to the NY style pizzas that were made at different times during the evolution of the NY style.

I would characterize the fazzari Reinhart-inspired dough recipe that you and John (and several others) used with good results as a more recent version of the New York style, particularly the version that John first described without the preferments. In all of his versions of the recipe, John substituted honey for sugar, which I would say is rare for a commercial NY style as sold in NYC, and he made his pizzas 12" with a crust that was somewhat thicker than is used for most commercial NY style pizzas sold in NYC. However, as he noted, and as you demonstrated with your own pizzas, it is possible to make the pizzas larger than 12", which would automatically make the crusts thinner. However, to be more in line with the NY style, you would make the pizzas much larger, say, 18". In a home setting, of course, the 18" size is not always possible. I have also discovered that once you get out of NYC, you can expect to see pizzas sold as NY style pizzas that are just about any size, from 8" to over 20". Many of these pizzas are imitations of the true NY style, and in many cases, poor imitations.

If you used the preferment versions of John's recipe, that makes the pizzas more of an artisan NY style, since preferments came out of artisan breadmaking, not the pizza making art. In your case, the use of the preferments and the honey, along with a long room-temperature fermentation period, may have been responsible for the improved crust flavor that you mentioned. But preferment-based NY style pizzas are not at all common commercially. Other than Norma, the only pizza operator I can think of at the moment who uses a poolish preferment with commercial yeast to make his version or representation of the NY style is Brian Spangler at Apizza Scholls.

Since I have concluded that John's recipe fits the NY style better than any other style, I decided to move his thread to the NY style board. I have also added the recipe to the collection of non-Lehmann NY style pizzas.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 08:47:03 AM by Pete-zza »