Author Topic: lehmann vs newbie w pics  (Read 1435 times)

Offline rscox62

• I Love Pizza!
lehmann vs newbie w pics
« on: October 20, 2005, 07:36:33 PM »
Even though I am new to this forum, I have been experimenting with the Lehmann recipe
and compared it with the recipe I use to make. I would have never made a great pizza if
didn't  stumbled on this forum. This forum is the best. I have almost read every subject.
I have posted some pics on my results. Both pizza's are made from

KASL
6 N 1
Polly O

The left one is on a 2 hour rise and the other one is on the lehmann 24 hour refrid rise. The lehman might look burnt
because I ate the really best parts. Anyway these are my results and you decide how to make your pizza.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: lehmann vs newbie w pics
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 09:26:44 PM »
rscox62,

I got a big kick out of your photos because they make a very good point, and the point is that it is hard to make a decent pizza in about two hours. And if you used the basic Lehmann recipe, it is almost impossible to do.

The basic Lehmann recipe uses very little yeast (0.25% IDY typically), it calls for no added sugar, and if you temperature adjust the water, the dough will be on the cool side. Starting from t = 0, it will take about 20-30 minutes for the yeast to acclimate to its surroundings and start to go to work. That leaves about an hour and a half for all the biochemical action and everything else to take place. That's not long enough for the enzymes to do their job and release enough sugar from the starch to feed the yeast and, at the same time leave enough residual sugar in the dough to promote crust coloration when the pizza is baked. Also, with a high-gluten flour such as the KASL, you will most likely end up with a fairly elastic dough. So, what you will get will look like the pizza slice on the left in your photo. It will have little volume, because the yeast didn't produce enough carbon dioxide, and it will have poor color, because there isn't enough residual sugar in the dough to contribute to browning. It will have that pale and emaciated look.

The photo on the right shows the marked improvement you can get if you give the dough enough time for all the biochemical actions to take place, even though most of the activity takes place during refrigeration. You will also get better crust flavor because of the byproducts of fermentation, which will be lacking for the most part in the 2-hour pizza because there wasn't adequate time for them to develop.

I might add that there is a way of making a better 2-hour pizza than the one you showed. That would be to use considerably more yeast, possibly some sugar, and much warmer water--and maybe even a lower protein flour. However, the resultant pizza will still be mediocre. The crust might have greater volume, because of the accelerated fermentation and carbon dioxide production, but the texture will be poor (because of poor gluten development) and will have little flavor because all of the events that contribute to flavor will not have occurred. Sometimes you will get lucky and at least get some color in the crust, but I wouldn't automatically count on it. In the end, you will have to masquerade all of the deficiencies in the crust by the sauce, cheese and toppings.

Peter

« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 09:33:27 PM by Pete-zza »