Author Topic: Stanislaus 74/40 Tomato Filets  (Read 3837 times)

Offline Tommy T

Stanislaus 74/40 Tomato Filets
« on: July 16, 2012, 09:52:18 AM »
I'm a big fan of the 6 in 1 tomatoes.  Recently was at a restaurant and asked what kind of tomatoes they used in their sauce.  Was told 74/40.  They use it in their pastas and Neapolitan pizza.  You can get the Stanislaus 7/11 at restaurant depot but not sure on the 74/40.  It was a cooked sauce with spices and basil added.  I know some of you use the Stanislaus 7/11.  How about the 74/40?  I am assuming the 7/11 are a crushed version of the 74/40.  Anyone using these?
Thanks

Offline pizzablogger

Re: Stanislaus 74/40 Tomato Filets
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:37:48 AM »
Interesting that you posted this today.

I performed an "experiment" this very weekend using the 74-40. I was interested in seeing if I could use the 74-40 as a way to keep quality high but shorten the time it takes to make sauce.

So I took one 10# can of Stanislaus Alta Cucina tomatoes and rinsed, drained, hand crushed, drain and then pulse with a stick blender as normal. I then poured a 10# can of the 74-40 tomatoes, which I could tell had too much liquid. So I stained half of the can through an extremly fine screen and then pulsed the 74-40 tomatoes with the stick as well. I did not add any sea salt or other ingredients to the sauce....I wanted to taste the raw tomato flavor in the sauce.

Closed my eyes and had my wife give me a spoonful or two of each. I picked the AC toms. The taste of the Alta Cucina tomatoes were definitely more fresh and "brighter" than the sauce made from the 74-40 tomatoes. The 74-40 tomato sauce was also a little too "wet" for my tastes. I want to try this experiment again with the Stanlislaus Saporito Filetto di Pomodoro Strips and see what happens. It takes quite a long time for me to make sauce for the market (about 50 minutes to make sauce using 6 10# cans of Alta Cucina), but will not try to cheat time if it means sacrificing quality.

That being said, I did find that the 74-40 strips were of a very good quality and would be a very nice candidate as the tomatoes to use for a NY-Style or other styles of pizza. They are quite good. But for my personal preference with sauce, the Alta Cucina tomatoes are very difficult to beat in quality...and especially when considering they are often a third to half as cheap as San Marzano tomatoes and just as good in most instances. --K
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 11:39:44 AM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 02:40:04 PM »
Pizzablogger

I'm right with you on the Alta Cucinas. I asked the server at a favorite Italian restaurant of mine if he could tell me what they used for tomatoes because their sauce was so good and he said AC's. Since then I have been using them to make all my pasta sauce. I haven't used them for pizza yet, but intend to when my stocks of canned crushed tomatoes is depleted.

Offline TallStormCookinMD

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 11:05:29 PM »
The 74/40's are a combination of pear and plum tomatoes so they are Alta Cucinas and Valaroso tomatoes.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 01:39:20 PM »
I want to try this experiment again with the Stanlislaus Saporito Filetto di Pomodoro Strips and see what happens.

Do you know if the Saporito Filetto di Pomodoro strips are considered a little higher-end than the 74-40 and 80-40 strips? Judging by the way Stanislaus arranges the products on their web site, I'd be inclined to think so.

As you know, I've had good results with the Saporito. I'd like to try the other filet products, too, if I happen to see them available by the can somewhere. But if I get a confirmation that they are considered slightly lower-end than the Saporito, that'll probably tell me all I need to know.

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 02:05:09 PM »
Do you know if the Saporito Filetto di Pomodoro strips are considered a little higher-end than the 74-40 and 80-40 strips?

Yes, they are their higher end strip-tomato product based on the price per can or case. --K
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 03:11:34 PM »
We use the Stanislaus 74/40 Tomato Filets all the time, but not directly from the can, we first drain them very well and then add them directly to the pizza skin in place of a prepared sauce. The order of addition is as follows: brush the pizza skin with garlic infused olive oil, add sliced or diced garlic, then add several basil leaves, over that apply the 74/40 Tomato Filets, and then the cheese and other desired toppings, finish with a sprinkling of shredded Parmesan cheese. The tomato filets provide a great flavor and texture, and more importantly, my pizzas don't look commercial.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 04:12:55 PM »
We use the Stanislaus 74/40 Tomato Filets all the time, but not directly from the can, we first drain them very well and then add them directly to the pizza skin in place of a prepared sauce.

Any particular style of pizza?

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 07:42:44 AM »
Mostly N.Y. style, but I also use them on extensively on my Margarita pizzas as they really stand out when using pieces of torn Mozzarella and garnished with fresh basil leaves.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 03:47:42 PM »
Saporito di Pomodoro tomatoes are Alta cucina tomatoes filleted. FYI!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2013, 10:21:46 PM »
The exact same tomatoe as the alta cucina? hmn. Does it say that somewhere on the website? I will ask them at the expo this year.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2013, 11:11:31 PM »
same exact tomato cut different,I'm a representative for Stanislaus!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2013, 11:16:29 PM »
cool thanks ! Nice to have you see you at the booth !
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 01:20:12 AM »
I market to many Pizzerias in WA state. Everyone has their opinion and sometimes everyone claims to be the expert. However, many of the pizzerias use alta cucina tomatoes by stanislaus. IMO and others, they are many times just as good or even better than many of the higher priced San Marzano Tomatoes on the market.

My personal favorite by Stanislaus is Pizzaiolo. So hard to beat in flavor and quality. I keep several cans in my house at all times.

Pizzaiolo

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11739414&search=stanilaus&Mo=8&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Browse=1&Sp=S&N=5000045&whse=BD_767&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&Ne=4000000&D=stanilaus&Ntt=stanilaus&No=6&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&topnav=bdoff&s=1

Alta Cucina

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11710371&search=stanilaus&Mo=8&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Browse=1&Sp=S&N=5000045&whse=BD_767&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&Ne=4000000&D=stanilaus&Ntt=stanilaus&No=2&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&topnav=bdoff&s=1

7/11

http://www2.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11710378&search=stanilaus&Mo=8&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Browse=1&Sp=S&N=5000045&whse=BD_767&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&Ne=4000000&D=stanilaus&Ntt=stanilaus&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&topnav=bdoff&s=1

Other Products

http://www2.costco.com/Common/Search.aspx?Dx=mode%2bmatchallpartial&whse=BD_767&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&Dr=P_CatalogName%3aBC&in_dym=1&N=0&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&Ntk=Text_Search&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&Browse=1&lang=en-US&D=stanislaus&search=stanilaus&Ntt=stanislaus&topnav=bdoff
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:22:49 AM by TomN »