Author Topic: FireRock Oven Kit  (Read 3976 times)

Offline Barryhanson67

FireRock Oven Kit
« on: July 17, 2012, 10:06:31 AM »
Looking for any information or reviews on the FireRock outdoor oven kits?

Thank you,

Barry

Online TXCraig1

Re: FireRock Oven Kit
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 10:30:20 AM »
I don't think that oven has ever been discussed here. How much do they want for it?

Pizza is not bread.

Offline Barryhanson67

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:47:37 AM »
The retail price is $1,400.

Offline italdream

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 03:10:50 PM »
I wonder what their cabinets go for (http://firerock.us/products/outdoor-living-packages/cabinets/). It could be a nice alternative to regular cement stand or prefab metal stand. and certainly a lot more DIY friendly that regular cement slab.

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 03:34:45 PM »
At first glance, it doesn't look that bad. At 40", it's big enough. Looks like it has decent mass. The dome is probably a little higher than ideal for some styles of pizza. You would want to insulate it well when installing it.
Pizza is not bread.

scott123

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 07:47:20 PM »
The dome height is definitely too high for Neapolitan, but, of greater importance is the door height.  That could easily be a 20" high door.  That is insanely high.

My other concern is that no one on this forum owns this oven.  I would never buy an oven, especially a refractory oven, from a company that doesn't have a well established track record. Refractory is way too easy to mess up.

Offline Barryhanson67

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 10:17:34 PM »
The Arched door is 11 1/2 inches at center and 17 inches wide. The height of the access tunnel is 10 inches. I do not have the interior height, but the exterior height at the cap is 24 inches. The weight is 1200 lbs.

In researching WFO's I really like the Earthstone product but the 42 inch unit is just over $5,000 with shipping. Our local masonry supply company is a distributor for FireRock and I was quoted $750 for this kit with no shipping.

I have been making what are family thinks are great pizza's on the kettle pizza attachment.  We anticipate spending another $1,500 to $2,000 on the stone enclosure. So I am trying to decide would the Earthstone product really be $4k better?

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 12:16:39 AM »
Justmy  my opinion,  only from a guy with an earthstone for 6+ years . Yep Better - but why do you need the 42" unit ? the 90 is more than ample. less heat up time less wood...  I recommended this oven for many. They havent changed much for a reason, they got it figured out ! all round  good oven, and although other members  may differ. I think its neo capable for sure. and also Billsfnm can vouch for the overall cookability of these babies :0) he can work mircles in this oven for sure!  Heres mine  again 20-30 people no problem at all !
john
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 12:19:52 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 07:40:07 AM »
The material of a Firestone oven is an insulating material.  I called them and asked about this, but the technical support guy didn't have any idea what I meant by insulating VS thermal mass.  They took an excellent fireplace material and built a mediocre oven out of it is my opinion.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 10:19:34 AM »
Billsfnm can vouch for the overall cookability of these babies :0) he can work mircles in this oven for sure!  Heres mine  again 20-30 people no problem at all !
john

Earthstone 90 lover for 10+ years, but I do think I would have been happier with a larger oven. I can bake two pizzas at a time, but feel more comfortable doing only one. No way in the world I have enough skill to serve 20-30 guests. About 8 guests is the extent of my abilities.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 01:23:30 PM »
I would've went just a little bigger also but  40 inches is more than ample.I frequently do 50 to 75 people from a 40 inch mobile. piece of cake ! just takes a little (lot) practice  :)
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

scott123

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 06:15:20 PM »
The Arched door is 11 1/2 inches at center and 17 inches wide.

Respectfully, based on the photo (see below), I can't see how this is the case. The height of the door opening looks to be equal or more than the width.

scott123

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 06:22:25 PM »
The material of a Firestone oven is an insulating material.

Tom, are you talking about the FireRock oven?  I initially thought the same thing (too good to be true), but if you look at the 1200 lb weight, I don't see how this could be anything other than refractory. The Four Grand Mere F950B is 925 lb and a similar size and that's refractory and brick.  I can't speak to the quality of the refractory on the FireRock, but, by the weight, I don't think it's insulating.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 11:36:22 PM »
Yes, it is insulating material.  I am familiar with their fireplaces, and I confirmed that the oven material was the same.  It even touts the fact on their literature.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 11:38:36 PM »
And it IS refractory, it is a proprietary mix using pumice and whatever, but the fact remains that it is an insulating material, and as such has limited heat storage capability.

scott123

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 11:50:17 PM »
Tom, if this is insulating, then it's completely unacceptable, but I just can't see 1200 lb. in this size oven not producing at least some density/thermal mass.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 12:25:47 AM »
Look at the thickness of the unit, as also denoted by the weight.  It is an insulating refractory, and as such stores minimal heat for the mass.  It works great for fireplaces, but for a retained heat cooking unit it is mediocre at best.  If they thinned it down and lined it with firebrick, they would have something, since the material is also structural. From their website:

"Made of the same proprietary insulating materials as our fireplaces, the wood fired outdoor oven can sustain temperatures of over 900 degrees Fahrenheit."