Author Topic: toppings on top or under cheese  (Read 4346 times)

Offline padroneseast

toppings on top or under cheese
« on: October 08, 2012, 01:36:39 AM »
just wondering the public opinion on whether the toppings should go on top of the cheese or under the cheese thanks

Offline petef

Re: toppings on top or under cheese
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 04:24:24 AM »
just wondering the public opinion on whether the toppings should go on top of the cheese or under the cheese thanks

Your question is too general to answer properly. It all depends upon the style of pizza you are baking.

For thin crust tomato pies where I want a crisper crust, cheese first, and splashes of sauce on top. I try not to bake it to the point where the cheese bubbles and totally combines with the sauce. I prefer the splotches of sauce to remain intact.

For medium crust NY style pies, its sauce first and cheese on top. I bake it until the cheese bubbles, and rises and it all combines together.

For toppings such as Sausage & Mushrooms, I bake the pie until the cheese begins to bubble & rise, then I add the S&M and finish the bake. I do this because I prefer the S&M toppings stay on top and not become submerged in the melted cheese.

---pete---

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 08:35:34 AM »
Your question is too general to answer properly. It all depends upon the style of pizza you are baking.

For thin crust tomato pies where I want a crisper crust, cheese first, and splashes of sauce on top. I try not to bake it to the point where the cheese bubbles and totally combines with the sauce. I prefer the splotches of sauce to remain intact.

For medium crust NY style pies, its sauce first and cheese on top. I bake it until the cheese bubbles, and rises and it all combines together.

For toppings such as Sausage & Mushrooms, I bake the pie until the cheese begins to bubble & rise, then I add the S&M and finish the bake. I do this because I prefer the S&M toppings stay on top and not become submerged in the melted cheese.

---pete---

+1, all good tips
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 09:12:29 AM »
padroneseast,

For more on this topic, see this fairly recent thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20254.msg199011.html#msg199011.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 09:32:17 AM »
If putting pepperoni under the cheese is not a crime, it should be.  :-D
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 10:02:59 AM »
If putting pepperoni under the cheese is not a crime, it should be.  :-D

Craig,

Buddy's, the famous Detroit style pizza maker, places the pepperoni "under the cheese to enhance flavor and prevent charring": http://www.buddyspizza.com/documents/Carryout111.pdf (see the Meats choices).

Peter

Offline Woodfiredovenpizzero

• Nothing like a WFO Pizza in the backyard!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 10:10:48 AM »
Shrimp under the cheese to avoid overcooking. And yes I'm sending the pizza police to Buddy's :) IMO some char in the pepperoni enhance its flavor

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 10:27:23 AM »
No crispy pepperoni? Why would anyone want that? It would just be flaccid then and floppy.

And I always add my mushrooms right at the beginning because if I don't they always come out raw-ish in taste and texture. Same with sausage.

And I can attest to the shrimp thing, I made one a while back and they turned into rubber since they were on top and under the broiler. Next time I'd go under the cheese or brown them in a pan and add them after the pie comes out or right at the end of the bake. No one likes rubber shrimp balls.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 11:07:33 AM »
I bet "rubber shrimp balls" is on the menu at Buddy's!
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 11:09:19 AM »
padroneseast,

If making a Greek style pizza, I really donít think it matters if the pepperoni, or maybe sausage is placed under the cheese, or cheeses.  This is one Greek style pizza I made with sausage placed under the cheese at Reply 284 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,691.msg151440.html#msg151440

I think Steve also placed pepperoni under the cheese somewhere on the Greek thread, but am having problems trying to find that post.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 12:37:32 PM »
I'm trying to think if I've ever put anything under the cheese except for sauce, and nothing is coming to mind. Grimaldi's doesn't even put the sauce under the cheese.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline padroneseast

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 10:51:02 PM »
thank you all we make a new york style pizza with med crust not crispy the previous owner put the toppings under the cheese which i dont agree with but before i make changes and potentially make customers mad i wanted to get a feel for what people thought

Offline 3.14 Guy

• THIS GUY loves great pizza!
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 04:34:12 PM »
My Detroit style has the pepperoni under the cheese, then other toppings on top, then sauce on top of the toppings.  Detroit Style Pizza Co. keeps their sauce heated and adds it to the pie after it's been completely cooked; no sauce during cooking at all.

Anyways, I find that the pepperoni under the cheese almost dissapears, but the taste is there and maybe even stronger!

I do love a nice pepperoni cupped up full of grease on my round pizzas though!
Making great pizza, outstanding beer and fantastic BBQ.  This is my passion!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 04:47:18 PM »
Chicago style pizzas.....underneath.
Exception: thin pies get certain things on top(pepperoni, bacon) if the joint knows anything. Back in the day EVERYTHING went on top.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline La Sera

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2012, 06:03:43 PM »
I think almost everyone in the pizza business would say that anyone who puts cheese on top needs to learn how to make pizza. A little extra cheese to cover shrimp is common.

Naturally, Chicago pizza is the exception...

pizzapan