Author Topic: Cauliflower on pizza  (Read 9087 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Cauliflower on pizza
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 04:45:33 PM »
You can find broccoli rabe (aka rapini) at Central Market on Westheimer most of the time.  I've had better luck with a brief par cook, otherwise it's a bit dry/tough.

Yes, thanks, that's where I've seen it too, but that a good 30 mile drive for me.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2012, 06:51:22 PM »
Maybe not the first go, since it looks like you're set for that, but a piccata-style (lemon, white wine, capers, fresh parsley) could complement a cauliflower pizza well.  Perhaps with a bechamel or other white sauce?  Though I'd be inclined to try it dry first.... 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 08:00:09 PM »
Maybe not the first go, since it looks like you're set for that, but a piccata-style (lemon, white wine, capers, fresh parsley) could complement a cauliflower pizza well.  Perhaps with a bechamel or other white sauce?  Though I'd be inclined to try it dry first.... 

I think that is a really good combination. If you try it before I do, plese let me know.

I don't see me using bechamel. I'm not liking the idea of starch-based sauces on my pies. Have you tried it?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 11:21:37 PM »
No I haven't.  I've always been wary of the idea, but a little intrigued too.  In the fall, I want to try a bechamel with roasted winter squash and herbs, a lighter version of a gratin on crust.  My pull right now is drier, lighter pizzas.  Sauce-less.  Cheese and herbs or a small amount of veggies with oil and the like.  Unfortunately we've got events or trips the next few weekends so not sure if I'll fire again for a while...

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 12:14:02 AM »
Chopped fine and roasted sounds good.

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2012, 12:17:41 AM »
Scott, I think you're right on about Indian flavors

+1

Why didn't I think of that?  :)  Paneer defiantly enhances the vegetable flavors with out overpowering. Never made it before, but it looks about the same as ricotta. 2nd time around, it get better from the saved whey.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Paneer-%28Indian-Cheese%29

Perhaps we have the next monthly challenge started here?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2012, 06:39:45 AM »
Craig,

I don’t know if you decided what you want to use on your cauliflower pizza, but here are a few more links to look at about Jim Lahey‘s cauliflower pizza.

I don’t really think this is what Jim Lahey used on his cauliflower pies, but this recipe is on Slice with béchamel sauce.  http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-cauliflower-pizza-pie.html

This is another blog post about Jim Lahey’s cauliflower pizza and the recipe she uses.

http://www.chinesegrandma.com/2011/03/roasted-cauliflower-parmesan-olives/

And yet another blog post about the cauliflower pizza.

http://rcakewalk.blogspot.com/2010/11/lahey-project-kinda-cauliflower-pizza.html

Whatever toppings Jim on that slice of pizza that I ate at Sullivan St. bakery, I still crave another slice.  There was some kind of nice peppery zing, which I really can’t describe. 

Norma

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2012, 06:59:04 AM »
I like the bechamel deal, I'd add some cheddar and make the sauce a little cheesy. Nodody has mentioned any BACON, gotta have some bacon on there. I think about mom's cheesy cauliflower with bacon and those French's onions on top, that might be something too, those crunchy onions. Yes, blanch and roast or toast up in one of those grill woks. I'm thinking more of a comfort thing like mac and cheese deal. Something to ponder, may have to try this one on too!
Jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2012, 09:06:59 AM »
Nodody has mentioned any BACON, gotta have some bacon on there.

As shocking as this is going to sound - and believe me, I still can't belive I'm saying it - I'm finding that there are actually very few pizzas that I really like good old smoked bacon on. :o :-[

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2012, 09:49:16 AM »
Say 10 Our Father's and 10 Hail Mary's my son and God will forgive you for speaking such, go in peace and no more negative comments towards St. Bacon............. ;D

Jon
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2012, 11:18:04 AM »
PS...........Sausage, sauerkraut, onion with swiss and mozz blend and crumbled bacon on top.....Oh My!! Some corned beef in there someplace ain't bad either, but now I digress.   :-D

jon

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2012, 12:20:19 PM »
As shocking as this is going to sound - and believe me, I still can't belive I'm saying it - I'm finding that there are actually very few pizzas that I really like good old smoked bacon on. :o :-[

Blasphemy!
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2012, 12:44:28 PM »
Erhm, I'm sure Craig meant to say that the BACON was TOO OLD to use, right Craig??

(Psst Craig, RUN! They're putting up a post and piling firewood around it!!)
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

scott123

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 06:35:38 PM »

I bow down to the bacon altar just as much as the next guy, but, I too, can't seem to muster a great deal of excitement about bacon on pizza.  You can't get a more classic combo than bacon and tomatoes (BLT), but something about bacon on pizza just doesn't resonate with me. The bacon might be clashing with the fresh basil or perhaps the mozzarella.  Whatever it is, I like to save my precious for other endeavors.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2012, 02:37:27 AM »
Say 10 Our Father's and 10 Hail Mary's my son and God will forgive you for speaking such, go in peace and no more negative comments towards St. Bacon............. ;D

Blasphemy!

Before you brand me a heretic and burn me in a WFO, know that I probably eat as much or more bacon than any of you. Considering that I've had unlimited access to free bacon for most of my adult life, I would put my lifetime bacon consumption up against just about anyone.  :angel:

My 2 boys and I ate 9 pounds of bacon in 6 days when fishing in Canada last week... certainly that buys me a get out of jail free card with st. bacon  ;D

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2012, 04:56:01 AM »
Had to bust your balls anyway :P. Not to make this a bacon thread, but have you ever made homemade bacon from pork shoulder/butt? Just awesome. I cheat and use my LT-40 vacuum tumbler and it's in the smoker in a few hours vs 10 days curing. Meat to fat ratio is pretty much reversed. Maple syrup one is my favorite smoked with hickory.
Jon

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2012, 07:10:52 AM »
Had to bust your balls anyway :P. Not to make this a bacon thread, but have you ever made homemade bacon from pork shoulder/butt? Just awesome. I cheat and use my LT-40 vacuum tumbler and it's in the smoker in a few hours vs 10 days curing. Meat to fat ratio is pretty much reversed. Maple syrup one is my favorite smoked with hickory.
Jon

Once St. Bacon is invoked, he stays around. Why? Think about bacon. The sweet, smoky smell, the delicate crisp in your fingers as you pick it up, that indescribable first taste as you crunch into your first bite of salty tender goodness - your tongue just goes AHH! and it's a party in your mouth.

Ok. Now stop thinking about bacon. Stop it! Just stop! Don't think about running out to get a breakfast sandwich with bacon!

Think about cauliflower instead. If you can.  8) :P

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2012, 10:46:43 AM »
I'm sorry, but whether it's Oscar Mayer, Canadian bacon, or Jon's butt bacon, it still beats cauliflower on pizza hands down!

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2012, 11:31:35 AM »
Ahem.  >:D ;D

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2012, 12:15:54 PM »
:o Somehow I don't think that they would have any trouble "bringing all the boys to the yard" without the bacon, but as I've always said, everything is better with bacon!

Hey Craig, maybe you could cook the cauliflower in bacon grease.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 12:24:53 PM by Colonel_Klink »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2012, 03:44:18 PM »
Hey Craig, maybe you could cook the cauliflower in bacon grease.  ;D

I'm guessing that would be rather tasty.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2012, 10:14:38 PM »
Maybe we can just say bacon and cauliflower may be great, but not what Craig is looking to do on this pie.

Craig-did you try this yet?
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2012, 10:32:36 PM »
Maybe we can just say bacon and cauliflower may be great, but not what Craig is looking to do on this pie.

Craig-did you try this yet?

No not yet.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #48 on: July 21, 2012, 12:41:16 PM »
I just went and bought some cauliflower and other ingredients to try.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2012, 01:51:14 PM »
Here is how I prepped the cauliflower (I am just making tiny taster pizzas, so I just did a little of each):

Clockwise from upper left:

Minced cauliflower and garlic lightly roasted.

Raw, small florets

Raw, coarse chopped

Browned in bacon fat small florets

I am going to continue in the Anarchy thread so I do not have to double post.