Author Topic: Cauliflower on pizza  (Read 5779 times)

Offline scott123

Re: Cauliflower on pizza
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2012, 04:08:51 PM »
Combine all and evenly spread the mixture on the dough and cook for 25-30 minutes until topping is golden brown.

I'm wondering if this is modified for the home baker, like he does with his other recipes.

If he is baking 25-30 minutes, then that is definitely an equivalent of a roast.

It sounds like you're not dead set on a Lahey clone, Craig, but, based upon the glowing comments on Slice, I would try something clone-ish at least once with the addition of a roast.

Offline scott123

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 04:14:08 PM »
Scott, I think you're right on about Indian flavors - heck it's almost like serving it right on the naan. I'll may try that next.

Naan usually has milk and yogurt, but, out of all flatbreads, I don't think anything comes closer to pizza crust than naan.  The fact that naan is usually baked at Neapolitan-ish temps (if it's good), only underlines the similarity.

Between crust's similarity to naan and mozz's similarity to paneer, I'm certain that no other nationality of food could make an easier transition to being pizzafied.  I can be a bit tunnel minded when it comes to pizza toppings, but if someone ever came up with a fast baked crust with a curried topping- I would be all over that.  Chicken pizza masala- forget about it!

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 04:17:09 PM »
I just did a search on Lehey's cavolfiore pie and here is what I found:

1 medium Cauliflower sliced with a mandolin set at 1/16
1/2 cup of green olives
2 large cloves of garlic (minced or crushed)
3/4 tsp. of salt
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/4 cup of olive oil
1 or 2 tbsp. bread crumbs

Combine all and evenly spread the mixture on the dough and cook for 25-30 minutes until topping is golden brown.

I forgot I own "My Bread" which is where this recipe is from.  :-[  The recipe also calls for 1/2 C parm, and for the olives to be finely chopped which sounds better than whole or halved.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2012, 04:20:44 PM »
I'm wondering if this is modified for the home baker, like he does with his other recipes.

If he is baking 25-30 minutes, then that is definitely an equivalent of a roast.

It sounds like you're not dead set on a Lahey clone, Craig, but, based upon the glowing comments on Slice, I would try something clone-ish at least once with the addition of a roast.

Just to be clear-in this book (My Bread) he is baking rectangle pizzas in 13x18 pans w 60% hydration. Maybe there is another cauliflower pizza in the new book which I don't own.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 04:25:12 PM by jeff v »

Offline JamieC

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2012, 04:36:31 PM »
You can find broccoli rabe (aka rapini) at Central Market on Westheimer most of the time.  I've had better luck with a brief par cook, otherwise it's a bit dry/tough.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2012, 04:45:33 PM »
You can find broccoli rabe (aka rapini) at Central Market on Westheimer most of the time.  I've had better luck with a brief par cook, otherwise it's a bit dry/tough.

Yes, thanks, that's where I've seen it too, but that a good 30 mile drive for me.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2012, 06:51:22 PM »
Maybe not the first go, since it looks like you're set for that, but a piccata-style (lemon, white wine, capers, fresh parsley) could complement a cauliflower pizza well.  Perhaps with a bechamel or other white sauce?  Though I'd be inclined to try it dry first.... 

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2012, 08:00:09 PM »
Maybe not the first go, since it looks like you're set for that, but a piccata-style (lemon, white wine, capers, fresh parsley) could complement a cauliflower pizza well.  Perhaps with a bechamel or other white sauce?  Though I'd be inclined to try it dry first.... 

I think that is a really good combination. If you try it before I do, plese let me know.

I don't see me using bechamel. I'm not liking the idea of starch-based sauces on my pies. Have you tried it?

Offline RobynB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2012, 11:21:37 PM »
No I haven't.  I've always been wary of the idea, but a little intrigued too.  In the fall, I want to try a bechamel with roasted winter squash and herbs, a lighter version of a gratin on crust.  My pull right now is drier, lighter pizzas.  Sauce-less.  Cheese and herbs or a small amount of veggies with oil and the like.  Unfortunately we've got events or trips the next few weekends so not sure if I'll fire again for a while...

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 12:14:02 AM »
Chopped fine and roasted sounds good.

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2012, 12:17:41 AM »
Scott, I think you're right on about Indian flavors

+1

Why didn't I think of that?  :)  Paneer defiantly enhances the vegetable flavors with out overpowering. Never made it before, but it looks about the same as ricotta. 2nd time around, it get better from the saved whey.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Paneer-%28Indian-Cheese%29

Perhaps we have the next monthly challenge started here?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2012, 06:39:45 AM »
Craig,

I don’t know if you decided what you want to use on your cauliflower pizza, but here are a few more links to look at about Jim Lahey‘s cauliflower pizza.

I don’t really think this is what Jim Lahey used on his cauliflower pies, but this recipe is on Slice with béchamel sauce.  http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-cauliflower-pizza-pie.html

This is another blog post about Jim Lahey’s cauliflower pizza and the recipe she uses.

http://www.chinesegrandma.com/2011/03/roasted-cauliflower-parmesan-olives/

And yet another blog post about the cauliflower pizza.

http://rcakewalk.blogspot.com/2010/11/lahey-project-kinda-cauliflower-pizza.html

Whatever toppings Jim on that slice of pizza that I ate at Sullivan St. bakery, I still crave another slice.  There was some kind of nice peppery zing, which I really can’t describe. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2012, 06:59:04 AM »
I like the bechamel deal, I'd add some cheddar and make the sauce a little cheesy. Nodody has mentioned any BACON, gotta have some bacon on there. I think about mom's cheesy cauliflower with bacon and those French's onions on top, that might be something too, those crunchy onions. Yes, blanch and roast or toast up in one of those grill woks. I'm thinking more of a comfort thing like mac and cheese deal. Something to ponder, may have to try this one on too!
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2012, 09:06:59 AM »
Nodody has mentioned any BACON, gotta have some bacon on there.

As shocking as this is going to sound - and believe me, I still can't belive I'm saying it - I'm finding that there are actually very few pizzas that I really like good old smoked bacon on. :o :-[

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2012, 09:49:16 AM »
Say 10 Our Father's and 10 Hail Mary's my son and God will forgive you for speaking such, go in peace and no more negative comments towards St. Bacon............. ;D

Jon

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2012, 11:18:04 AM »
PS...........Sausage, sauerkraut, onion with swiss and mozz blend and crumbled bacon on top.....Oh My!! Some corned beef in there someplace ain't bad either, but now I digress.   :-D

jon

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2012, 12:20:19 PM »
As shocking as this is going to sound - and believe me, I still can't belive I'm saying it - I'm finding that there are actually very few pizzas that I really like good old smoked bacon on. :o :-[

Blasphemy!
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2012, 12:44:28 PM »
Erhm, I'm sure Craig meant to say that the BACON was TOO OLD to use, right Craig??

(Psst Craig, RUN! They're putting up a post and piling firewood around it!!)
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline scott123

« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2012, 06:35:38 PM »

I bow down to the bacon altar just as much as the next guy, but, I too, can't seem to muster a great deal of excitement about bacon on pizza.  You can't get a more classic combo than bacon and tomatoes (BLT), but something about bacon on pizza just doesn't resonate with me. The bacon might be clashing with the fresh basil or perhaps the mozzarella.  Whatever it is, I like to save my precious for other endeavors.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2012, 02:37:27 AM »
Say 10 Our Father's and 10 Hail Mary's my son and God will forgive you for speaking such, go in peace and no more negative comments towards St. Bacon............. ;D

Blasphemy!

Before you brand me a heretic and burn me in a WFO, know that I probably eat as much or more bacon than any of you. Considering that I've had unlimited access to free bacon for most of my adult life, I would put my lifetime bacon consumption up against just about anyone.  :angel:

My 2 boys and I ate 9 pounds of bacon in 6 days when fishing in Canada last week... certainly that buys me a get out of jail free card with st. bacon  ;D

pizzapan