Author Topic: Dealing with the unfortunate side effects of pizza love  (Read 6716 times)

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
Re: Dealing with the unfortunate side effects of pizza love
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2012, 12:40:06 PM »
I need to pledge to spend less time on this awesome but addictive forum so that I can get my computer work done and get off my fat a__ and do something more physical.  :-\
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2012, 01:09:18 PM »
I actually used to do that kind of thing a lot.  I was into wilderness "survival", though that's just the popular term for living off the land.  Shelters, wild food, cooking with hot rocks...  thems were good times.  

I've never lived off the land. My thing is more about traveling (tramping/hitchhiking) and meeting people, surviving via the kindness of strangers. When you do that, you walk a lot, eat much less than usual, and drink WATER. It's hard to live that way, but in the end it's amazing.

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2012, 01:18:47 PM »
Actually the answer is yes.  You can change your metabolism by what and when you eat, and when you exercise. Nutritionists recommend smaller more frequent meals because your body does not go into "fat" storage mode as readily as it does when you eat only a few large meals.  Your metabolism is increased because you have a constant source of energy available vs. sporadic less frequent sources.  The physiology is obviously more complicated but you have some ability to control your metabolism.

See the following article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14802091/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/can-you-really-change-your-metabolism/#.UAbWwJGFCwE

That has actually proven to be a myth many times over. Technically as long as everything you eat fits into your macros/micros your all set. But you have to figure out what your macros are for a daily basis and if you are trying to maintain, cut or bulk. You could eat 3 meals spaced out within 1 hour of each other and it would be the same exact thing if you as 5 or 6 meals spaced out within 3-4 hours. There is to difference. As long as it fits your macros. "IIFYM". This is all from a bodybuilding standpoint.

I've never lived off the land. My thing is more about traveling (tramping/hitchhiking) and meeting people, surviving via the kindness of strangers. When you do that, you walk a lot, eat much less than usual, and drink WATER. It's hard to live that way, but in the end it's amazing.
There is a documentary coming out of a guy who did just that http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/craigslistjoe/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 06:51:48 PM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 01:34:10 PM »
Has anybody ever tried cauliflower pizza dough? If you do an Internet search for it you will get thousands of hits. It is very popular amongst low carb dieters and those with celiac disease because it has no carbs or gluten.

I have never made one but I have tasted it. It actually is pretty good. If you are trying to make something that is going to have the look/taste/feel of the crust that you are used to, you will probably be disappointed, but it isn't bad in its own right. The crust gets crispy around the edges and it didn't at all end up being the way that I thought it would.

I certainly don't think that I could replace my weekly pizza fix with it, but on occasion it could be a healthier alternative.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 05:38:56 PM by Colonel_Klink »

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2012, 01:50:34 PM »
Actually the answer is yes.  You can change your metabolism by what and when you eat, and when you exercise. Nutritionists recommend smaller more frequent meals because your body does not go into "fat" storage mode as readily as it does when you eat only a few large meals.  Your metabolism is increased because you have a constant source of energy available vs. sporadic less frequent sources.  The physiology is obviously more complicated but you have some ability to control your metabolism.

See the following article:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14802091/ns/health-diet_and_nutrition/t/can-you-really-change-your-metabolism/#.UAbWwJGFCwE
Thanks Rip, I am a diabetic and the doc has been telling me for some time to eat many small meals/snacks during the day.....guess it's finally time to pay attention.
That has actually proven to be a myth many times over. Technically as long as everything you eat fits into your macros your all set. But you have to figure out what your macros are for a daily basis and if you are trying to maintain, cut or bulk. You could eat 3 meals spaced out within 1 hour of each other and it would be the same exact thing if you as 5 or 6 meals spaced out within 3-4 hours. There is to difference. As long as it fits your macros. "IIFYM". This is all from a bodybuilding standpoint.
It may be a myth as related to metabolism and weight loss, but as Bob's doctor was telling him, eating small meals and snacks throughout the day is important for a diabetic in order to keep their blood sugar from spiking. Both my wife and father-in-law are diabetic and I have heard this many times from doctors, endocrinologists, and diabetic nutritionists.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2012, 01:53:20 PM »
Has anybody ever tried cauliflower pizza dough? If you do an Internet search for it you will get thousands of hits. It is very popular amongst low carb dieters and those with celiac disease because it has no carbs or gluten.

I have never made one but I have tasted it. It actually is pretty good. If you are trying to make something that is going to have the look/taste/feel of the crust that you are used to, you will probably be disappointed, but it isn't bad in its own right. The crust gets crispy around the edges and it didn't at all end up being the way that I thought it would.

I certainly don't think that it could replace my weekly pizza fix with it, but on occasion it could be a healthier alternative.

Yeah, I don't know, Don.  Why waste perfectly good cauliflower making something unnatural with it?  Have some cauliflower with balsamic vinegarette, a slice of Craig's margehrita, and a glass of good red wine for dinner instead.   :D
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2012, 01:59:45 PM »
Have some cauliflower with balsamic vinegarette, a slice of Craig's margehrita, and a glass of good red wine for dinner instead.
Man, I wish I could have a slice of Craig's Margherita, but the 1300 miles between us makes it difficult.

Offline Riprazor

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2012, 02:23:22 PM »
That has actually proven to be a myth many times over. Technically as long as everything you eat fits into your macros your all set. But you have to figure out what your macros are for a daily basis and if you are trying to maintain, cut or bulk. You could eat 3 meals spaced out within 1 hour of each other and it would be the same exact thing if you as 5 or 6 meals spaced out within 3-4 hours. There is to difference. As long as it fits your macros. "IIFYM". This is all from a bodybuilding standpoint.
There is a documentary coming out of a guy who did just that http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/craigslistjoe/

Please state your source.  I have seen numerous doctors as well as nutritionist who support this theory and never heard anyone claim it is a myth?

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2012, 02:32:15 PM »
Please state your source.  I have seen numerous doctors as well as nutritionist who support this theory and never heard anyone claim it is a myth?
My guess is that the source is the Internet...so it has to be true.  ;)

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2012, 02:32:51 PM »
Search anything on Youtube or the internet about "If it fits your marcos(IIFYM)". BB's have been living off this principle for years. I don't have any direct source because I've never bookmarked anything but a quick search will show a lot of results. I eat 4 main meals space 2 hours apart from each other and I've lost almost 50lbs in the last 4 months. That's all coupled with training and the right nutrition and my psychotic determination and my couch. I haven't done cardio in the last 3 weeks because my Hams are done and I'm still losing about 2-3lbs a week. But when I first started; the weight loses was much more rapid because of the water weight lost in the first month or so.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 02:36:20 PM by BrickStoneOven »

Offline The Gizz

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2012, 05:49:18 PM »
When it's all over your titties will be gone.

ROTFLMAO
Well thanks for that Ryan. I almost choked on my orange juice after reading that line.
Thanks........Tee

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2012, 02:26:44 PM »
You can do incredible interval training in the pool - it's probably the best place to do it.

I often run 8-10 miles, and yet a couple hard laps in the pool is is enough to near kill me.

THIS IS THE TRUTH! The gym I belong to is near Arundel Mills and has a full size pool. It is empty when I go. That thing alone has helped me drop many pounds (many more to go) I am 44

Offline cnkymnky

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2012, 08:28:51 PM »
Success story.....I lost 274 pounds in less than a year, no surgery, exercise and diet....you can do it....went from 451 pounds down to 177 pounds....have since put about 40 back on, on purpose....177 was way to skinny for me, I am 6'2" and very large build....i felt and looked very bad at 177 pounds, feel much better at 220

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2012, 08:40:37 PM »
That's freaking nuts, man. Wow!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2012, 08:54:05 PM »
Success story.....I lost 274 pounds in less than a year, no surgery, exercise and diet....you can do it....went from 451 pounds down to 177 pounds....have since put about 40 back on, on purpose....177 was way to skinny for me, I am 6'2" and very large build....i felt and looked very bad at 177 pounds, feel much better at 220
Congratulations Ray...so very good for you!!  Absolutely inspiring is all I can say.
If you would....please tell what your exercise regime entailed, thanks.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2012, 11:01:27 PM »
Glad I saw this thread.

I have been posting here very sporadically and haven't made a single pie for myself since January, the month I started a diet and new workout regimen. I've made pizzas but none were for me.

So far I'm right on track with my weight loss. Of course, weight does fluctuate daily and keeping that in mind I only step on a scale twice a week. I don't deprive myself of foods I enjoy I just eat less and watch my daily calorie, fat and sodium intake. Only one day a week, Sunday, I eat whatever I crave but still keep a somewhat careful eye on the nutritional info. No "Blooming onion" for me at Outback Steakhouse, for example. A buddy of mine ate the whole dam thing by himself (2000cal/ 161 gr fat/ 48 gr saturated).

I do all my workouts early in the morning, 5x a week. Mondays are usually saved for a 2-4 hour hike here in the Marin Headlands and the other days alternate between hiking and cardio/weights in the gym. I switched to a light beer and cut out hard liquor & wine altogether. 3-4 liters of water during the day and fruits as a snack.

That pretty much sums it up. I'm glad I'm not the only one who realized that it's time to get back in shape.

Here's a good read:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/matt2.htm

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2012, 12:02:41 AM »

.... Mondays are usually saved for a 2-4 hour hike here ....

Let me guess, your either unemployed or wake up at 3 to go hike?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2012, 12:31:04 AM »
It's not the pie ....

It's the suds it gets washed down with  >:D :-D :pizza:
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2012, 01:06:55 AM »
Maybe he's independently wealthy man....sorta like you Gene!  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2012, 10:50:20 AM »

JD,

Neither. I'm off on Mondays.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

pizzapan