Author Topic: What happens if you don't have time to let the dough warm to room temp?  (Read 3619 times)

Offline pbspelly

In other words, fridge to hot stone within 15 minutes.  As opposed to letting it warm for two hours. 

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
Actually, we're not letting it warm to room temperature, but rather temper AT room temperature for about 2-hours. The actual dough temperature after tempering at room temperature for 3 to 3-hours is in the 50 to 60F range. Unless your yeast levels are very low, when you take the dough directly from fridge to oven the dough typically exhibits a propensity to bubble/blister much more than it does if it is allowed to temper first. In many cases where this is a practice, we have found that there is a tendency for the dough to develop a gum line upon baking when the yeast level is reduced too low. This is due to the inability of the dough to support the weight of the toppings with an excessively low yeast level. In short, it becomes a bit of a balancing act between yeast level, and gum line if the dough is not allowed time to temper at room temperature for a period of time after being removed from the fridge. It's not a big deal for the home pizza maker, but at the pizzeria level it can be a real problem, especially when the pizzas are being baked in  an air impingement oven. In this case, when the pizza tries to transition into a pita, all of the cheese and toppings are forced into the top fingers of the oven making for a super neat mess that might also take out the next two or more pizzas following it (not a good situation).
One other thing, the tempered dough will typically be somewhat easier to form into a pizza skin than cold dough straight out of the fridge.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline pbspelly

Not sure what the gum line is. 

So if I know I won't have time to temper more than 15 minutes or so, do you have any recommendations for how much I should reduce the yeast in the following 2-pie recipe based on your standard NY recipe?

23.6 oz high gluten All Trumps flour
.08 oz sugar
.30 ounces IDY
.40 ounces salt
15.4 ounces cold water
.25 oz olive oil

Also, if I reduce the yeast in order to avoid bubbles, should I let the dough cold-rise longer in the fridge (I currently do two or three days), or will adding more time to the cold rise just negate the benefit of reducing the yeast?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Tom,

From time to time, our members report that their local pizza operators work with cold dough right out of the cooler, apparently without incident. And some members say that they do the same thing in a home setting, and are proud of it. I know from some of your past writings at the PMQ Think Tank that you will sometimes say something along the lines of "If it works for you, it is good for you". I don't know if that applies here but is there something that one can do if they want to be able to use their dough directly out of the cooler or refrigerator without encountering the types of problems you mentioned?

Peter
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:35:05 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline dmcavanagh

Try it once and find out. No better teaching/learning tool than experience.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
Try it once and find out. No better teaching/learning tool than experience.

Word.

Offline patdakat345

I've done it. It makes sense, because there is more area exposed in rolled out dough than in a dough ball.
I don't think you will get much of a rise when the time is limited from the fridge to the stone is only 15 minutes.
Other factors that limit rise, are cold toppings, such as the sauce. My own experience when doing this, is to allow
half an hour to let the yeast action to restart.

pat

Offline Jackitup

For doughs with higher hydration I actually prefer not letting them get too warm, much easier to handle the wetter doughs cold and as you get to the shape/thickness you want it warms up pretty fast. Stretch to shape, rest 15 minutes or so and top and bake.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline La Sera

I use a 54% hydration dough that's cold fermented 18 hours+ with 0.33% IDY and 1.2% sugar + alpha. I pull dough from the refrigerator as it's ordered. We're in a controlled maximum 26C temperature environment. We drop into our dusting mix and open slightly. We let it rest on the table a minute or so, then open and stretch to about half size, then let it rest a minute or so again. It only takes a few minutes until it very pliable and stretches easily to full size.

We use gas ovens (top and bottom source) with bottom stones. We do get blistering on the edge, but that's what we're after. It ends up with slightly dark patches that are cripsy and full of air. We want that. Sometimes we get slight blistering nearer the center, but not often.

I think a lot of factors influence results in everyone's case. Oven type, temperature, dough type, dough thickness, toppings, oil or no oil on dough before baking, type of any oil on the dough (for example, an EVOO coating inhibits cooking more than regular olive oil), cooking time, environment temperature and humidity, blah, blah, blah...

Pizza can be a struggle, or it can be fascinating, depending on your outlook.

pizzapan