Author Topic: Papa Dino's Pizza Lancaster  (Read 14195 times)

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
Re: Papa Dino's Pizza Lancaster
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2012, 02:41:54 PM »
Pete,

I agree.  ;)  We are all the same, no matter where we come.

Norma

Yeppers!!!   :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2012, 02:43:11 PM »
BTW Norma, have you ever heard of Daisy organic flour?  We have a mill right here in Annville...

http://daisyflour.com/   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2012, 02:43:20 PM »
Okay, now you talked me back into thinking about a visit, Norma.  LOL  I definitely understand that memories thing, huh?   :)

Still no word concerning a possible new location.   :-\

Let me do a little research on Kryol and I'll let you know, thanks!!!  Unbleached flour is my standard for just about everything I make.   ;D

Pete,

I do think you need to try Papa Dinoís again.  :) It does taste about the same as it did years ago, but something is missing, but that is only my opinion.

I wonder if any of the Groff family is going to start a new location and use everything they did before.  It will be interesting if they do.

Kyrol flour is a bleached and bromated flour.  It is like All Trumps and other flours that are bleached and bromated.  Kyrol is the flour I am using right now for my pizzas at market.  I might switch flours again, but am not decided right now.  I also have GM Full Strength flour at market if you also want to try that. Scott123 and other members recommend that flour for NY style pizzas.  I also used the GM Full Strength for my Sicilian pies.  It is up to you if you want to try both or one of the flours.

Norma  
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2012, 02:48:26 PM »
BTW Norma, have you ever heard of Daisy organic flour?  We have a mill right here in Annville...

http://daisyflour.com/   ;D

Pete,

I have heard and even looked about Daisy flour, but never really got into trying it.  I really don't know if other forum members tried it or not. 

I have so many experiments with pizza in mind, that I probably will never get them finished until I pass away.  :-D 

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2012, 10:02:36 PM »
Pete,

I have heard and even looked about Daisy flour, but never really got into trying it.  I really don't know if other forum members tried it or not. 

I have so many experiments with pizza in mind, that I probably will never get them finished until I pass away.  :-D 

Norma

I'm sure both of us will end up croaking with a belly full of pizza, Norma.   :)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2012, 10:24:32 PM »
I'm sure both of us will end up croaking with a belly full of pizza, Norma.   :)

Pete,

I agree, that you are probably right.   :)  Each week I tell myself I am not going to do so many experiments, but I am right back at it again.  :-D

I don't know what it is about pizza, but it certainly is interesting.

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2012, 09:57:58 AM »
Pete,

I agree, that you are probably right.   :)  Each week I tell myself I am not going to do so many experiments, but I am right back at it again.  :-D

I don't know what it is about pizza, but it certainly is interesting.

Norma

Our taste buds and stomachs certainly find it interesting, Norma.   :)

My latest clone effort ended up with too much cheese since I wanted to use it all up so I didn't get any pics.  When ordered with either extra sauce or extra cheese, the old Papa Dino's guys would apply those after the pizza was already half-baked like all the other standard toppings.   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2012, 01:11:53 PM »
Our taste buds and stomachs certainly find it interesting, Norma.   :)

My latest clone effort ended up with too much cheese since I wanted to use it all up so I didn't get any pics.  When ordered with either extra sauce or extra cheese, the old Papa Dino's guys would apply those after the pizza was already half-baked like all the other standard toppings.   ;D

Pete,

I guess you are right that our taste buds and stomachs do find pizza interesting, but so do other foods at least for me.  

Sorry to hear your extra cheese added didnít turn out right on your latest clone effort.  I also did that different times on the boardwalk thread.  I saw when Papa Dinoís made pepperoni pizza they added one layer of cheese and sauce, then baked the pie and next added more cheese and back into the oven it went.  I didnít want to arouse suspicion the last time I went to Papa Dinoís for the ham boat, but I saw the one pieman clean out the oven with the rake first, then put a wet rag on the rake and go over the oven deck a few times.  It sure did get lots of that grimy stuff off the stone.  The rag was pitch black.  :-D I thought that was interesting.  Maybe that is why the Papaís Dino pies now donít have that grime on the bottom crust anymore.  

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2012, 02:18:19 PM »
  When ordered with either extra sauce or extra cheese, the old Papa Dino's guys would apply those after the pizza was already half-baked like all the other standard toppings.   ;D
Interesting, this cuts down on oven mess but ya gotta think it also changes the texture of the pie,no? Think I'm going to try this one...thanks.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2012, 10:36:37 PM »
Pete,

I guess you are right that our taste buds and stomachs do find pizza interesting, but so do other foods at least for me.  

Sorry to hear your extra cheese added didnít turn out right on your latest clone effort.  I also did that different times on the boardwalk thread.  I saw when Papa Dinoís made pepperoni pizza they added one layer of cheese and sauce, then baked the pie and next added more cheese and back into the oven it went.  I didnít want to arouse suspicion the last time I went to Papa Dinoís for the ham boat, but I saw the one pieman clean out the oven with the rake first, then put a wet rag on the rake and go over the oven deck a few times.  It sure did get lots of that grimy stuff off the stone.  The rag was pitch black.  :-D I thought that was interesting.  Maybe that is why the Papaís Dino pies now donít have that grime on the bottom crust anymore.  

Norma

LOL Norma!!!  They're still scraping the grime off the oven deck left by the previous owners.   ;)  :)  ;D

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2012, 10:37:52 PM »
Interesting, this cuts down on oven mess but ya gotta think it also changes the texture of the pie,no? Think I'm going to try this one...thanks.

The extra cheese would then be merely melted instead of cooked, Bob, and would completely cover the cheese and sauce which were originally applied before the pizza was first placed in the oven.   ;D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:42:40 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2012, 10:55:21 PM »
Gotcha...cheesy bliss!  8)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2012, 10:59:34 PM »
LOL Norma!!!  They're still scraping the grime off the oven deck left by the previous owners.   ;)  :)  ;D

Pete,

The oven deck didn't look too bad last week, and I did check it out!   :-D  I thought it was neat how the steam rose from the oven right after the wet rag went over the hot deck of the oven.  I even thought about trying that myself, but am not too sure about how that wetness would work on my deck.  :-\ Somedays stuff does get stuck on my decks too.  Steve and I use the rake and brush, but don't use a wet rag.  When I go to market to clean on Fridays, I even clean my oven out with a knife and bleach water, but that sure doesn't help on Tuesday.  With the reheats of many slices, that is what get my decks messed up.  

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2012, 11:12:58 PM »
My local slice joint reheats on an old thin metal serving plate...

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2012, 11:31:42 PM »
My local slice joint reheats on an old thin metal serving plate...

Bob,

Thanks for the idea, but reheating slices on my deck for about 20 to 30 seconds works well for me.  I need my full oven decks at all times and my small stand is crowded so much now, I couldn't fit anything else in it.

Norma 

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2012, 08:54:14 PM »
Brick cheese, with provolone and Swiss, and Gangi sauce doctored with salt, pepper, oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder...   :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2012, 09:16:01 PM »
She''s a beauty.....nice work!  8)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2012, 09:33:14 PM »
Brick cheese, with provolone and Swiss, and Gangi sauce doctored with salt, pepper, oregano, onion powder, and garlic powder...   :pizza: :pizza: :pizza: :pizza:

Pete,

Wow, that is a great looking pizza!  ;D  :pizza: What kind of flour did you use?  Did the pizza taste like a old-time Papa Dinoís pizza?  I sure wish I could have tried a slice.  ;) How much of the brick cheese did you use in the blend?

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2012, 09:49:26 PM »
60%?

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2012, 10:25:17 PM »
I cut back on the dough hydration a bit and the balls ended up a bit more spherical as a result (I used King Arthur bread flour again).  The cheese mix was the same as before, 50/25/25 brick, provolone, Swiss and slightly less than 2 cups shredded and slightly packed total for a 13-inch pizza (Papa Dino's small size).  A little dab of mustard in the mayonnaise and the Gangi (Thanks, Norma!!!) was thinned with about 2/3 as much water before doctored and applied.  The pizza was baked on a serving tray on the bottom rack starting at a 200 degree preheat turned up to 425 degrees for 15 minutes which is my trick to try to simulate a deck oven.  I could have left it in just a little longer, however.   ;D
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 10:28:59 PM by PowerWagonPete »

pizzapan