Author Topic: Papa Dino's Pizza Lancaster  (Read 12773 times)

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
Re: Papa Dino's Pizza Lancaster
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2012, 10:33:27 AM »
Pete,

You could have had some if you were at market later in the day.  :P  Maybe sometimes if you go to Papa Dino's you also could purchase a dough ball, sauce and cheese and see how your oven or outside grill would bake the same dough and dressings.   ::)

Norma

The heck with that, Norma.  LOL  I'll let those guys make me one.   :)

Maybe next Tuesday after my wonderful son and I hit the market.  He missed the last trip down.   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2012, 11:57:31 AM »
The heck with that, Norma.  LOL  I'll let those guys make me one.   :)

Maybe next Tuesday after my wonderful son and I hit the market.  He missed the last trip down.   ;D

Pete,

Are you coming to market next week with your son?  If you are, I think I am going to make a Mack's attempt some time in the afternoon.

I would be interested in knowing what you think of Papa Dino's pizza now.  From what I have seen they bake in a really low oven temperature, which in my opinion makes the crust drier.  Maybe you can even ask them what brand of cheese they use.   >:D

When I find time, I want to go to Papa Dino's again to try their ham boats.  I also want to travel the short distance from Papa Dino's to WalMart to see if they changed the Nutrition Information on the Pepe's dough balls.  I haven't had a chance to get to that WalMart for awhile.

Norma

Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2012, 10:36:21 PM »
Pete,

Are you coming to market next week with your son?  If you are, I think I am going to make a Mack's attempt some time in the afternoon.

I would be interested in knowing what you think of Papa Dino's pizza now.  From what I have seen they bake in a really low oven temperature, which in my opinion makes the crust drier.  Maybe you can even ask them what brand of cheese they use.   >:D

When I find time, I want to go to Papa Dino's again to try their ham boats.  I also want to travel the short distance from Papa Dino's to WalMart to see if they changed the Nutrition Information on the Pepe's dough balls.  I haven't had a chance to get to that WalMart for awhile.

Norma

Hopefully a little earlier in the morning, Norma, so my wonderful son Kenny gets a good shot at what might be available in the flea market area.  He has more money than I do at the moment and he's itching to spend some of it.  LOL   :)

We'll try to get over to Papa Dino's later but we might not have to because lookie at what I did today...   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2012, 10:42:35 PM »
Hopefully a little earlier in the morning, Norma, so my wonderful son Kenny gets a good shot at what might be available in the flea market area.  He has more money than I do at the moment and he's itching to spend some of it.  LOL   :)

We'll try to get over to Papa Dino's later but we might not have to because lookie at what I did today...   ;D

Pete,

It will be good to see you again and also meet your son.  There is lots of stuff over at the flea market that isnít expensive.  It will be interesting what your son finds at the flea market.   :P

I do see what you did today.  Did it taste like a Papa Dinoís pizza?  It sure looks like one.  :)  Care to share the juicy details?  >:D

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2012, 11:06:14 PM »
Pete,

It will be good to see you again and also meet your son.  There is lots of stuff over at the flea market that isnít expensive.  It will be interesting what your son finds at the flea market.   :P

I do see what you did today.  Did it taste like a Papa Dinoís pizza?  It sure looks like one.  :)  Care to share the juicy details?  >:D

Norma

The dough:  Bread flour, low salt, low oil (soybean), high hydration.  Once stretched it was covered with the mayo/mustard mix.  Salt was added to the prep flour.

The cheese mix:  50% cheddar, 25% provolone, 25% Swiss with extra salt added.

The sauce:  My own but I still need to get ahold of some of that Gangi and spice it accordingly to get it just right.

Bake temperature and time:  425 degrees for 16 minutes.

It was darn close, Norma!!!  I even got that yellow-orange grease out of it which was always came standard with a Dino's pie...   ;D  
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:08:09 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2012, 08:18:46 AM »
The dough:  Bread flour, low salt, low oil (soybean), high hydration.  Once stretched it was covered with the mayo/mustard mix.  Salt was added to the prep flour.

The cheese mix:  50% cheddar, 25% provolone, 25% Swiss with extra salt added.

The sauce:  My own but I still need to get ahold of some of that Gangi and spice it accordingly to get it just right.

Bake temperature and time:  425 degrees for 16 minutes.

It was darn close, Norma!!!  I even got that yellow-orange grease out of it which was always came standard with a Dino's pie...   ;D  

Pete,

I am glad that you got really close to a Papa Dinoís pizza.  ;D I wouldnít have thought Papa Dinoís dough formulation was a high hydration one from the dough balls I had a felt, but I have no idea how a Papa Dinoís dough ball was like years ago.  I am also curious how that mayo/mustard mix tastes when it is baked on a pizza.  I see the orange grease you got with the blend of cheeses you used.  When you get to taste a Mackís pizza I would be interested in how close your clone Papa Dinoís pizza is to a Mackís pizza.

If you want a little of the Gangi sauce, (really not the exact type that Mackís uses) to try, let me know and I will bring a little over on Tuesday if I remember.  Gangi sauce is even hard for me to be able to source now since Bova stopped carrying it.   

Thanks for posting what you used and the extra pictures.  ;)

Norma   

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2012, 07:57:38 PM »
Pete,

I am glad that you got really close to a Papa Dinoís pizza.  ;D I wouldnít have thought Papa Dinoís dough formulation was a high hydration one from the dough balls I had a felt, but I have no idea how a Papa Dinoís dough ball was like years ago.  I am also curious how that mayo/mustard mix tastes when it is baked on a pizza.  I see the orange grease you got with the blend of cheeses you used.  When you get to taste a Mackís pizza I would be interested in how close your clone Papa Dinoís pizza is to a Mackís pizza.

If you want a little of the Gangi sauce, (really not the exact type that Mackís uses) to try, let me know and I will bring a little over on Tuesday if I remember.  Gangi sauce is even hard for me to be able to source now since Bova stopped carrying it.   

Thanks for posting what you used and the extra pictures.  ;)

Norma   

The dough and crust were dead on and the cheese mix was extemely close, Norma.  I think next time I attempt a Papa Dino's clone I'll try some Wisconsin brick cheddar instead to see if I can match the signature twang that way.  Once I get the cheddar exactly right, I might try switching out the provolone with mozzarella also to see if that makes any difference.

A wetter dough might make sense for a longer bake at lower temperatures.  It developed the correct crunchy skin and had the right texture and crumb.  I always figured they might have used some sort of vegetable oil instead of olive oil by the taste which, like I said, always reminded me of pretzels with oil added like those thins made by Sturgis.

The mayonnaise and mustard combo adds a slight bit of flavor and gives the pizza a silkier mouth feel.  I didn't use much but it does leave that oily deposit on the rim of the crust like I remember from Papa Dino's pies from way back when.

Hey, I'll trade you a couple of my sourdough pretzels for some of that Gangi since it's now difficult to get.  LOL  All I really need to do is taste some to see if it matches the Dino's base sauce but it would be better if I can try it on a pizza.  Who manufactures Gangi anyway?  Is that particular sauce formulation available under an alternate brand name?   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2012, 11:06:32 PM »
The dough and crust were dead on and the cheese mix was extemely close, Norma.  I think next time I attempt a Papa Dino's clone I'll try some Wisconsin brick cheddar instead to see if I can match the signature twang that way.  Once I get the cheddar exactly right, I might try switching out the provolone with mozzarella also to see if that makes any difference.

A wetter dough might make sense for a longer bake at lower temperatures.  It developed the correct crunchy skin and had the right texture and crumb.  I always figured they might have used some sort of vegetable oil instead of olive oil by the taste which, like I said, always reminded me of pretzels with oil added like those thins made by Sturgis.

The mayonnaise and mustard combo adds a slight bit of flavor and gives the pizza a silkier mouth feel.  I didn't use much but it does leave that oily deposit on the rim of the crust like I remember from Papa Dino's pies from way back when.

Hey, I'll trade you a couple of my sourdough pretzels for some of that Gangi since it's now difficult to get.  LOL  All I really need to do is taste some to see if it matches the Dino's base sauce but it would be better if I can try it on a pizza.  Who manufactures Gangi anyway?  Is that particular sauce formulation available under an alternate brand name?   ;D

Pete,

Glad to hear your dough and crust were dead on and the cheese blend was extremely close.   :)

A wetter dough does make sense for a longer bake to me also, but when I tried the recent Papa Dinoís dough balls they felt dry to me.  I know the former owners of Papa Dinoís probably used a different dough formulation.  Papaís Dinoís might have used vegetable oil, because it would have been cheaper than olive oil.  I recently made a pizza with vegetable oil, instead of olive oil and Peter told me he didnít think that would make any difference in the taste of the crust, or how my pizza turned out, because it was a low amount of vegetable oil in the formulation. 

I will try to remember the Gangi sauce.  I donít recall where I posted on the Mackís thread about where I found out who manufactures the Gangi sauce, but think it might be manufactured in California.  I think ERASMO also posted about it.  I will have to look on the Mackís thread more.  I donít think the Gangi sauce is available under a different brand name.  Gangi sauce almost looks and tastes like a paste.

Norma

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2012, 11:38:59 PM »
Wow, that's amazing...please do keep us informed... ;)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: August 11, 2012, 07:56:21 AM »
Pete and anyone else that might be interested,

I searched and this is what I found on the boardwalk thread about the Gangi sauce.  These are the posts, at Reply 442 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg105784.html#msg105784 and at Reply 39 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg96060.html#msg96060  Reply 53 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg96120.html#msg96120 and ERASOís post at Reply 54 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg96121.html#msg96121

I donít know if I am missing any posts about the Gangi sauce or not, because the boardwalk thread is so long.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #70 on: August 11, 2012, 08:27:48 AM »
I donít know if I am missing any posts about the Gangi sauce or not, because the boardwalk thread is so long.

Norma,

I don't know if you are aware of it, but if you go to the NJ Boardwalk thread and enter the word Gangi into the search box at the top of the page, and assuming that the forum's search engine is working properly, you should get all of the posts on that thread that include the word Gangi. I tried that this morning and got three pages of hits.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »
Norma,

I don't know if you are aware of it, but if you go to the NJ Boardwalk thread and enter the word Gangi into the search box at the top of the page, and assuming that the forum's search engine is working properly, you should get all of the posts on that thread that include the word Gangi. I tried that this morning and got three pages of hits.

Peter

Peter,

I am aware if you go to a thread and put in search words, the posts will come up with that word.  I put the words Gangi California in the search box on the boardwalk thread.  I will try the word Gangi without California in the search box.  Guess I have to go though 3 pages now.  :-D  Thanks for the tip.   :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: August 11, 2012, 09:51:48 AM »
This is another post about where to find the Gangi Supreme Pizza Sauce with basil if anyone is interested in pursuing the Gangi sauce more at Reply 935 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg177593.html#msg177593  If anyone wants to look for more posts about the Gangi sauce they can use Peterís post at Reply 70 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20093.msg201167.html#msg201167  as a guideline.

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2012, 12:52:33 PM »
Gangi is manufactured by California Fruit and Tomato Kitchens which is based out of Modesto, California.  Jerry posted that tidbit on Page 23 of the Boardwalk thread.  Thank you very much, guys!!!   :)

Anyway, I don't know what the big difference might be between it any any similar Stanislaus product so I just may be barking up the wrong tree here.  Lying in bed last night, where many of us come up with our best brainstorms, I began to contemplate which Mediterranean-type spices I may have never used in pizza sauce before.  I now believe the ingredients I'm looking for may be found in this particular recipe right here...

http://www.food.com/recipe/Ultimate-Pizza-Sauce-114392

HMMMM, fennel and bay leaf...   ;)

As far as that mystery cheese goes, what Norma had me try at the market somewhat reminded of the flavor of Cooper, a processed cheese popular here in the northeast.  This is why I'll be choosing Wisconsin brick cheddar for the next round of experiments...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_cheese   ;D  

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2012, 02:04:53 PM »
Gangi is manufactured by California Fruit and Tomato Kitchens which is based out of Modesto, California.  Jerry posted that tidbit on Page 23 of the Boardwalk thread.  Thank you very much, guys!!!   :)

Anyway, I don't know what the big difference might be between it any any similar Stanislaus product so I just may be barking up the wrong tree here.  Lying in bed last night, where many of us come up with our best brainstorms, I began to contemplate which Mediterranean-type spices I may have never used in pizza sauce before.  I now believe the ingredients I'm looking for may be found in this particular recipe right here...

http://www.food.com/recipe/Ultimate-Pizza-Sauce-114392

HMMMM, fennel and bay leaf...   ;)

As far as that mystery cheese goes, what Norma had me try at the market somewhat reminded of the flavor of Cooper, a processed cheese popular here in the northeast.  This is why I'll be choosing Wisconsin brick cheddar for the next round of experiments...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brick_cheese   ;D  

Pete,

I did try my Saporito Stanislaus paste product with basil on the boardwalk thread.  Just to taste the Saporito plain (with nothing else added) it tastes a little sweeter than Gangi. 

Your recipe you posted could make a tasty sauce for pizza.  Give it a try sometime.   ;D

I donít know if you saw Novemberís pizza sauce recipe, but it is very tasty.  I posted about it at:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17013.0.html   I never got around to trying the Classico sauce in that thread.  Maybe, when I find a little more time I will try it. 

Lol, donít tell me your best brainstorms come up while you are lying in bed.  :-D When I go to bed I am tired and usually go to sleep in about a minute. If you want to go though that whole boardwalk thread you will see I did try Cooper cheese and that sure wasnít the cheese, unless it might be blended with one or other cheeses. 

Norma

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2012, 03:00:59 PM »
100% unrelated but I live in Lancaster, in the UK. Hope this pointless fact is of interest.

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2012, 03:32:42 PM »
Pete,

I did try my Saporito Stanislaus paste product with basil on the boardwalk thread.  Just to taste the Saporito plain (with nothing else added) it tastes a little sweeter than Gangi. 

Your recipe you posted could make a tasty sauce for pizza.  Give it a try sometime.   ;D

I donít know if you saw Novemberís pizza sauce recipe, but it is very tasty.  I posted about it at:  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17013.0.html   I never got around to trying the Classico sauce in that thread.  Maybe, when I find a little more time I will try it. 

Lol, donít tell me your best brainstorms come up while you are lying in bed.  :-D When I go to bed I am tired and usually go to sleep in about a minute. If you want to go though that whole boardwalk thread you will see I did try Cooper cheese and that sure wasnít the cheese, unless it might be blended with one or other cheeses. 

Norma

The sweetness of the base sauce doesn't concern me right now since I don't think that's a factor on the flavor I'm looking for, Norma.   :)

Thanks also for the link concerning the sauce!!!  I've seen whole fennel seeds in some pizza already but not in Papa Dino's so if they did use it, it had to be ground.  All I'll do is add it first and maybe the bay leaf second to the homemade Redorta sauce I already have prepared.   ;)

Brick cheddar is supposed to be a bit tangier since they use the Limburger bacterium culture on it so we'll see what happens.  I remember you had tried Cooper so you were probably thinking along the same lines I am now but yes, since that's a processed cheese it won't melt and oil out the same as a real cheese.   ;D

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2012, 03:40:41 PM »
100% unrelated but I live in Lancaster, in the UK. Hope this pointless fact is of interest.

They do call Lancaster, Pennsylvania the "Red Rose City", Jonesy.  The City of York, Pennsylvania, across the Susquehanna River, is known as the "White Rose City".   :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancaster,_Pennsylvania   ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 10:42:11 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2012, 10:11:14 PM »

jonesyb,

I find it of interest that you live in Lancaster, but in the UK.   :)  I wonder what your Lancaster is like.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2012, 10:16:42 PM »
Pete and anyone else that might be interested, 

My daughter and I went to Papa Dinoís after traveling to the wine shop at the Pa. Renaissance Faire and Walmart today. 

I was the only one that ordered a ham boat, because I wanted to see if they tasted like they did years ago.  Well, the ham boats sure donít have the ham or mayonnaise that they did before, but the buns were toasted in the deck oven after the ingredients were put in the bun.  It was okay, but nothing special.  We also shared an order of French fries.  They were decent.  I think I could make better tasting hamboats at market if I experimented some.   

I checked out the trash and in their the only thing I saw that I recognized were empty 50 lb. bags of ADM Wheat Flour.  I also saw in the shop they only had Furmano tomato sauce and not the other sauce that I saw before.  I only recently (this week) saw the ADM Wheat flour at the Restaurant Store, but didnít check it out.  I never saw ADM Wheat flour before, so I have no idea of what protein content that is.

I also sampled some wines at the wine shop at the Renaissance Faire, and some of them tasted pretty good.  I never tasted ice wine before and thought that also tasted good.  Just a few pictures of the wine shop.  I have more pictures, but this isnít the place to post them.

Norma