Author Topic: Papa Dino's Pizza Lancaster  (Read 15345 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Papa Dino's Pizza Lancaster
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2012, 10:18:21 PM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2012, 10:19:58 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2012, 10:30:52 PM »
I forgot to post in my last post that I timed a bake of a pizza today on my cellphone.  The bake time was 8 minutes 25 seconds.

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2012, 10:59:16 PM »
Pete and anyone else that might be interested,  

My daughter and I went to Papa Dinoís after traveling to the wine shop at the Pa. Renaissance Faire and Walmart today.  

I was the only one that ordered a ham boat, because I wanted to see if they tasted like they did years ago.  Well, the ham boats sure donít have the ham or mayonnaise that they did before, but the buns were toasted in the deck oven after the ingredients were put in the bun.  It was okay, but nothing special.  We also shared an order of French fries.  They were decent.  I think I could make better tasting hamboats at market if I experimented some.  

I checked out the trash and in their the only thing I saw that I recognized were empty 50 lb. bags of ADM Wheat Flour.  I also saw in the shop they only had Furmano tomato sauce and not the other sauce that I saw before.  I only recently (this week) saw the ADM Wheat flour at the Restaurant Store, but didnít check it out.  I never saw ADM Wheat flour before, so I have no idea of what protein content that is.

I also sampled some wines at the wine shop at the Renaissance Faire, and some of them tasted pretty good.  I never tasted ice wine before and thought that also tasted good.  Just a few pictures of the wine shop.  I have more pictures, but this isnít the place to post them.

Norma

Well, they used to use shredded lettuce on the hamboats, Norma, so that's one difference I noticed right away.  The french fries look the same as those they served up in Manheim, however.

ADM wheat flour, huh?  They've got a few varieties to choose from...

http://www.adm.com/en-US/Milling/USWheat/Pages/default.aspx

The pizza specific page...

http://www.adm.com/en-US/Milling/Pages/Pizza.aspx

I might have to talk Ann into a trip to the Renaissance Faire.  Maybe I can convince her to put on a corset as well.   >:D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 11:03:43 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2012, 11:11:07 PM »
I forgot to post in my last post that I timed a bake of a pizza today on my cellphone.  The bake time was 8 minutes 25 seconds.

Norma

HMMMM, thanks for observing that, Norma!!!  Part of the longer bake time with my clone attempt is used to preheat my oven so the serving tray I'm baking it on can get up to temperature quicker in order to try to simulate a deck oven.  I won't have that problem if I ever break down and go get a peel and a stone.  LOL   ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2012, 11:45:02 PM »

I might have to talk Ann into a trip to the Renaissance Faire.  Maybe I can convince her to put on a corset as well.   >:D
Pics or it didn't happen dude..... ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2012, 11:48:54 PM »
Well, they used to use shredded lettuce on the hamboats, Norma, so that's one difference I noticed right away.  The french fries look the same as those they served up in Manheim, however.

ADM wheat flour, huh?  They've got a few varieties to choose from...

http://www.adm.com/en-US/Milling/USWheat/Pages/default.aspx

The pizza specific page...

http://www.adm.com/en-US/Milling/Pages/Pizza.aspx

HMMMM, thanks for observing that, Norma!!!  Part of the longer bake time with my clone attempt is used to preheat my oven so the serving tray I'm baking it on can get up to temperature quicker in order to try to simulate a deck oven.  I won't have that problem if I ever break down and go get a peel and a stone.  LOL   ;D

Pete,

I know the lettuce on the hamboat wasnít shredded right.  I canít recall exactly how the French fries tasted before, but they were good today.  I hardly ever eat French fries anymore.   

Thanks for the links to the ADM flours.  I also checked the Restaurant store for the kind of flour that Papa Dinoís might be using at http://www.therestaurantstore.com/8935/bulk-flour.html and didnít see any bags that just said Wheat flour on the front of the 50 lb. bag.  I really donít think it matters what kind of flour Papa Dinoís is using, unless you really want to clone a Papa Dinoís dough.  I would think your pizza crust would taste much better than a Papa Dinoís crust.

I also wouldnít rely on the bake time I took today.  Papa Dinoís years ago could have been using higher bake temperatures.

Good luck getting Ann to wear a corset if you both go to the Renaissance Faire on a hot day. :P  We did see many people coming out of the Faire that were dressed up.  I really like the Faire.     

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2012, 11:55:29 PM »
Pics or it didn't happen dude..... ;D

Gotta get it to happen before I can get pics, Bob.   ;)

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2012, 12:02:13 AM »
Pete,

I know the lettuce on the hamboat wasnít shredded right.  I canít recall exactly how the French fries tasted before, but they were good today.  I hardly ever eat French fries anymore.    

Thanks for the links to the ADM flours.  I also checked the Restaurant store for the kind of flour that Papa Dinoís might be using at http://www.therestaurantstore.com/8935/bulk-flour.html and didnít see any bags that just said Wheat flour on the front of the 50 lb. bag.  I really donít think it matters what kind of flour Papa Dinoís is using, unless you really want to clone a Papa Dinoís dough.  I would think your pizza crust would taste much better than a Papa Dinoís crust.

I also wouldnít rely on the bake time I took today.  Papa Dinoís years ago could have been using higher bake temperatures.

Good luck getting Ann to wear a corset if you both go to the Renaissance Faire on a hot day. :P  We did see many people coming out of the Faire that were dressed up.  I really like the Faire.    

Norma

Those tomatoes looked a little sad as well considering they're in season now, Norma.   :-\

A slower oven does use less gas or electricity.  LOL   ::)

Corsets on a hot day?  Isn't that why they invented hand fans and talcum powder?   :-X  :)  ;D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 12:04:22 AM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2012, 12:39:34 AM »
Gotta get it to happen before I can get pics, Bob.   ;)
Duh... ;)   Just setting the stage my friend...... >:D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline jonesyb

« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2012, 06:34:17 AM »
jonesyb,

I find it of interest that you live in Lancaster, but in the UK.   :)  I wonder what your Lancaster is like.

Norma

They do call Lancaster, Pennsylvania the "Red Rose City", Jonesy.  The City of York, Pennsylvania, across the Susquehanna River, is known as the "White Rose City".   :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancaster,_Pennsylvania   ;D

I did not know there is a York in Pennsylvania! York is just down the road from here.

I do know that Lancaster, Pennsylvania based their prison exterior on our castle (And also prison until last year). A fact I learned on this forum some time ago.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2012, 08:18:45 AM »
Those tomatoes looked a little sad as well considering they're in season now, Norma.   :-\

A slower oven does use less gas or electricity.  LOL   ::)

Corsets on a hot day?  Isn't that why they invented hand fans and talcum powder?   :-X  :)  ;D

Pete,

Yes, those tomatoes did look sad and were tasteless.  I know tomatoes are in the prime of the season in our area and I would think they could spare more than one slice cut into two on that hamboat.  Our bill for 2 small subs, 1 small french fries and 2 small drinks was almost 17.00.  I could have gotten a better meal for that price. 

Yep, the lower temp oven does save money.

Lol, all depends on how tight the corset is draw.  Some of those attendees to the faire yesterday were dressed to the hilt.  If you need a hand fan for your wife, I can lend you some.  I have a bunch of old ones.  They would go well with your wifes corset.   ;D :-D 

I searched more about that ADM wheat flour and don't know if they just make it for distributors without any other name other than wheat flour on the front of the 50 lb. bag.  I thought that was strange that there wasn't an other name than wheat flour on the front of the bag.  I know when I purchased ADM flours, there was always a name on the front of the bag.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2012, 08:30:45 AM »
I did not know there is a York in Pennsylvania! York is just down the road from here.

I do know that Lancaster, Pennsylvania based their prison exterior on our castle (And also prison until last year). A fact I learned on this forum some time ago.

jonesyb,

Yes, the Lancaster County Prison was built to resemble a castle in Lancashire, England.  http://www.fandm.edu/david-schuyler/lancaster-in-1850/the-lancaster-county-prison  It sure isnít a castle though.  :-D  Yep, a town name York only about 25 minutes from Lancaster too.  :)

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2012, 12:51:48 PM »
Yep, a town name York only about 25 minutes from Lancaster too.  :)

And you can always figure out if someone is from Pennsylvania, Jonesy, because we tell distance by time.   8)

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2012, 01:11:38 PM »
Pete,

Yes, those tomatoes did look sad and were tasteless.  I know tomatoes are in the prime of the season in our area and I would think they could spare more than one slice cut into two on that hamboat.  Our bill for 2 small subs, 1 small french fries and 2 small drinks was almost 17.00.  I could have gotten a better meal for that price. 

Yep, the lower temp oven does save money.

Lol, all depends on how tight the corset is draw.  Some of those attendees to the faire yesterday were dressed to the hilt.  If you need a hand fan for your wife, I can lend you some.  I have a bunch of old ones.  They would go well with your wifes corset.   ;D :-D 

I searched more about that ADM wheat flour and don't know if they just make it for distributors without any other name other than wheat flour on the front of the 50 lb. bag.  I thought that was strange that there wasn't an other name than wheat flour on the front of the bag.  I know when I purchased ADM flours, there was always a name on the front of the bag.

Norma

HMMMM, we'd best cease and desist discussing corsets for the moment, Norma.  I don't want any undesirable toppings on my next Papa Dino's clone.   :-X  ;)  :)

You are doing an excellent job, however, of talking me out of trying the place even though that's one of the few locations I never ate at.  LOL

I think I'll just stick with my good ol' Ceresota and King Arthur when it comes to the flour.   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2012, 01:36:37 PM »
And you can always figure out if someone is from Pennsylvania, Jonesy, because we tell distance by time.   8)

Pete,

When someone asks me how far something is away I always answer in time. For example if someone asks me how far I am from home I'd say 20 mins. Not that amount of miles.  Is that right Pete?  ;D I think we have many quirks in our area that other people might not even know about.  I know I write many things unique to our area and am even embarrassed about it sometimes.   :-[

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2012, 01:44:08 PM »

You are doing an excellent job, however, of talking me out of trying the place even though that's one of the few locations I never ate at.  LOL

I think I'll just stick with my good ol' Ceresota and King Arthur when it comes to the flour.   ;D

Pete,

Maybe you should try the Papa Dinoís pizza again.  I am only one person telling you what it is like.  When we were at Papa Dinoís yesterday, there was a family sitting behind us.  The children were saying that Papa Dinoís pizza was the best pizza they have ever eaten.  You know how memories start.  :)

If you want any Kyrol flour when you are at market Tuesday, let me know.  That is what I am using for the Mackís thread.  I can give you some to try if you like.

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2012, 02:23:43 PM »
Pete,

When someone asks me how far something is away I always answer in time. For example if someone asks me how far I am from home I'd say 20 mins. Not that amount of miles.  Is that right Pete?  ;D I think we have many quirks in our area that other people might not even know about.  I know I write many things unique to our area and am even embarrassed about it sometimes.   :-[

Norma

Wherever I've been, people can be unique but deep down we're all the same, Norma, and when I get on the internet, I certainly ain't shy about letting others know where I'm from.  ;D  

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2012, 02:31:17 PM »
Pete,

Maybe you should try the Papa Dinoís pizza again.  I am only one person telling you what it is like.  When we were at Papa Dinoís yesterday, there was a family sitting behind us.  The children were saying that Papa Dinoís pizza was the best pizza they have ever eaten.  You know how memories start.  :)

If you want any Kyrol flour when you are at market Tuesday, let me know.  That is what I am using for the Mackís thread.  I can give you some to try if you like.

Norma

Okay, now you talked me back into thinking about a visit, Norma.  LOL  I definitely understand that memories thing, huh?   :)

Still no word concerning a possible new location.   :-\

Let me do a little research on Kryol and I'll let you know, thanks!!!  Unbleached flour is my standard for just about everything I make.   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2012, 02:34:45 PM »
Wherever I've been, people can be unique but deep down we're all the same, Norma, and when I get on the internet, I certainly ain't shy about letting others know where I'm from.  ;D  

Pete,

I agree.  ;)  We are all the same, no matter where we come.

Norma

pizzapan