Author Topic: Papa Dino's Pizza Lancaster  (Read 14892 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Papa Dino's Pizza Lancaster
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2012, 12:50:56 PM »
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2012, 12:51:53 PM »
Papa Dino's sauce I purchased after it was taken out of their container.

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2012, 02:21:02 PM »
HMMMM, that sauce concoction should have a bit of an onion aftertaste as well, Norma, if they're following the original recipe.   :)

Swiss cheese?  I had completely forgotten about this but my lovely wife Ann prepared a stromboli once using American processed, mozzarella, and Swiss which ended up tasting very similar to the Papa Dino's cheese mix so we may very well be on to something there.   8)

I have quite a few older Papa Dino's pizza pictures locked up on a disabled hard drive which I hope to have recovered shortly after tax refund time this winter.  If I remember right, the Groffs would apply the sauce in more of a random circular pattern instead of laterally back and forth as demonstrated in your photo.  Even so, the overall effect appears to be basically the same.   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2012, 02:34:52 PM »
HMMMM, that sauce concoction should have a bit of an onion aftertaste as well, Norma, if they're following the original recipe.   :)

Swiss cheese?  I had completely forgotten about this but my lovely wife Ann prepared a stromboli once using American processed, mozzarella, and Swiss which ended up tasting very similar to the Papa Dino's cheese mix so we may very well be on to something there.   8)

I have quite a few older Papa Dino's pizza pictures locked up on a disabled hard drive which I hope to have recovered shortly after tax refund time this winter.  If I remember right, the Groffs would apply the sauce in more of a random circular pattern instead of laterally back and forth as demonstrated in your photo.  Even so, the overall effect appears to be basically the same.   ;D

Pete,

I really didn’t taste any onion in the sauce, but will taste it again later.  I have no idea if the Lincoln Highway Papa Dino’s is following the original recipe of Groff’s for the sauce.

Peter mentioned about the Swiss cheese on the Mack’s thread.  I decided not to try it, but might revisit that post again.

Good to hear you have some older Papa Dino’s pizza pictures locked up.  Hope to see them sometime.  I also thought the ring first with the sauce and then laterally back and forth sauce application produced about the same results as a Mack’s pizza.  Interesting to say the least.

Norma

Offline communist

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2012, 02:51:33 PM »
The place I recall was on Lincoln Highway East where it first started just on the beginning of the east side of Lancaster, still in the city.  Ambiance was on the ratty side, and pie was pretty good at times, not so good at other times.  Norma, do you remember a little restaurant called "wish you were here" in downtown Lancaster.  A crazy little place with an eccentric female head cook and owner.  Great veggie fare and killer veggie gyros?  Mark

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2012, 02:53:47 PM »
Pete,

I really didn’t taste any onion in the sauce, but will taste it again later.  I have no idea if the Lincoln Highway Papa Dino’s is following the original recipe of Groff’s for the sauce.

Peter mentioned about the Swiss cheese on the Mack’s thread.  I decided not to try it, but might revisit that post again.

Good to hear you have some older Papa Dino’s pizza pictures locked up.  Hope to see them sometime.  I also thought the ring first with the sauce and then laterally back and forth sauce application produced about the same results as a Mack’s pizza.  Interesting to say the least.

Norma

If you look at your sauce picture carefully, Norma, you can see quite a few tiny white particles in it.  While they could be small milled pieces of tomato seeds, I believe some of it is onion as well.  I've had Papa Dino's pies already at various instances where they may have added a little too much of both onion and/or black pepper into the sauce and could definitely taste it.   :)

Yeah, those pics on my old drive, if I can get them back, will give us something to look forward to during middle of the prime pizzamaking season this winter.  LOL   ;D

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2012, 03:00:31 PM »
The place I recall was on Lincoln Highway East where it first started just on the beginning of the east side of Lancaster, still in the city.  Ambiance was on the ratty side, and pie was pretty good at times, not so good at other times.

LOL Mark!!!  Remember those little red and white signs plastered all over the store?...   :)

"Order here."

"Pick up here."

"Fresh pizza takes time to prepare.  Please wait 15 to 20 minutes for your order."

"Please don't throw our baskets and trays away."

...or something like that, at least at the old Lebanon and Lititz Pike locations.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:03:46 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline communist

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2012, 04:01:25 PM »
LOL Mark!!!  Remember those little red and white signs plastered all over the store?...   :)

"
  Yes, I do - it was a "cheesy" place!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2012, 09:03:53 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for telling me that the location you visited was the same one I did yesterday.  I don’t recall a place in downtown Lancaster that made great veggie fare killer veggie gyros.

I agree that Papa Dino’s was and is still a “cheesy place”.  :-D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2012, 09:11:05 PM »
Pete,

I just checked the tomato sauce over carefully and there are no onions in the sauce that I can see or taste.  The white particles you saw in the picture were tomato seeds. 

I never really remembered what Papa Dino’s sauce tasted like from years ago.  They still have those white signs plastered all over the store.  The line is still there also where many people used to wait to place their orders, even at the Lincoln Highway location. 

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2012, 11:18:40 PM »
Pete,

I just checked the tomato sauce over carefully and there are no onions in the sauce that I can see or taste.  The white particles you saw in the picture were tomato seeds. 

I never really remembered what Papa Dino’s sauce tasted like from years ago.  They still have those white signs plastered all over the store.  The line is still there also where many people used to wait to place their orders, even at the Lincoln Highway location. 

Norma

I don't know, Norma.  That sauce might be missing some of the greenery as well.  Maybe the Groffs held back a little bit on these guys but hey...  LOL   :-X

I suppose I'll just have to get down there one of these days and check for myself.   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2012, 09:28:47 AM »
I don't know, Norma.  That sauce might be missing some of the greenery as well.  Maybe the Groffs held back a little bit on these guys but hey...  LOL   :-X

I suppose I'll just have to get down there one of these days and check for myself.   ;D

Pete,

I don’t know if the Groff’s held back at all on the recipe.  Maybe the new owners just went with what was available to them, since they aren’t as large now.  You know I mentioned that my distributor told me that he heard Papa Dino’s used a special blend of cheeses when Papa Dino’s was a lot larger.  I really wonder now if Papa Dino’s is using the special blend, or trying to blend any other cheeses.  I really don’t know, but I brought home a piece of the AMPI mild white cheddar home from market yesterday and grated it.  My youngest daughter was at my home and we both tasted the AMPI mild white cheddar and the Papa Dino’s cheese and both of them tasted exactly alike to us.  I don’t think AMPI sells the mild white cheddar in blocks,  but could be wrong.  Maybe my distributor just doesn’t carry the big blocks.  Cheddar cheese is so hard to just taste and know if it is the same brand.  I wish I knew what brand of cheddar that big block was.

My youngest daughter also liked Papa Dino’s from years ago and she thought the pizza tasted about the same as it did before.  I gave her a slice last evening.  Maybe though she really can’t remember either.  She had lived in Brooklyn, NY for about 15 years and ate many different NY style pizzas from NY.  Trying to remember what something tasted like years ago can be somewhat challenging.   

As for the sauce, you would have to taste Papa Dino’s pizzas now to see if you think the sauce is different.  I really can’t remember what their sauce tasted like years ago.  How long would it take for you to get to Papa Dino’s?  I don’t think it would take you that long, but could be wrong. 

Maybe later this coming week, if I find time, I will go back and check out the ham boats and look around some more.   

I can take a closer picture of the sauce if you want me to.  I am going to freeze it later tonight though. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2012, 01:49:08 PM »
I used the Papa Dino’s frozen dough ball yesterday to make a pizza.  I had frozen the dough ball for a 12” pizza the next day after I purchased it.  I took the frozen dough ball to market on Monday, and just had it in a plastic bag, and then placed it in the deli case .  Until yesterday morning it didn’t look like the dough ball had fermented any.  I removed the dough ball from the deli case and left it at room temperature (which was hot) for about 3 hrs.  It still didn’t look like it fermented much, but the dough ball did soften up.  I probably should have used the dough ball sooner to make pizza, but wanted to get an idea of about how much yeast was used in a Papa Dino’s dough ball, if I could in watching how it fermented.  I know freezing the Papa Dino’s dough ball didn’t help the yeast and probably killed some of it.  I still have no idea of how much yeast Papa Dino’s uses in their dough formulation, but would guess it isn‘t a lot. 

I tried to press out the dough like the pieman did at Papa Dino’s and also apply the cheese and sauce like I saw him do it.  For some reason the pizza wanted to stick to the peel a little and didn’t want to launch exactly right.  I think it might have stuck because the dough ball then felt moister.  I think the pizza did bake faster than Papa Dino’s and then the resulting crumb was moister, even though the rim was fairly flat.  Steve and I thought that the dough could have used more salt.   

My friend, and a customer of mine, was at Root’s last evening and remembers Papa Dino’s pizzas.  He said the pizza did taste like a Papa Dino’s pizza, after I gave him a slice.  He also hasn’t eaten a Papa Dino’s pizza for awhile. 

I think the next time I attempt a Mack’s pizza the sauce is going to be a lot thinner, something like Papa Dino’s.  At least Papa Dino’s sauce did help with how I might prepare the Mack’s pizza sauce thinner the next time.  :) I think I learned something new from Papa Dino’s sauce.

I sure don’ know how the Groff’s decided on what kind of pizza to make, but think the Papa Dino’s pizza must have some kind Trenton roots, in how the sauce and cheese are applied. 

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2012, 01:50:25 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2012, 01:51:12 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2012, 01:52:32 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2012, 01:53:30 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2012, 01:54:10 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2012, 01:55:01 PM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2012, 01:56:26 PM »
Norma

pizzapan