Author Topic: Blodgett Oven to Propane  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Pizza De Puta

Blodgett Oven to Propane
« on: July 19, 2012, 11:21:59 PM »
I have the opportunity to pick up a old Blodgett Gas pizza oven, I believe it is 48" wide w/10" high single deck.  It comes with a stone deck and the price is CHEAP.  The unit is not only old, it is dirty and banged up but the owner says it still works fine.  The stones appear to be ok, as well.

I think this might make a good practice oven to perfect an awesome NY recipe.  However, I live in the country and use propane.  Does anyone know if this oven can be converted to propane use?  And if so, will it heat to an acceptable temperature?  Also, would anybody have any idea what it would cost to make a propane conversion?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:23:33 PM by Pizza De Puta »
RE

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Blodgett Oven to Propane
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 05:04:00 AM »
Conversion kit:
http://www.sharpteksupply.com/servlet/the-1921/Conversion-Kit-for-Blodgett/Detail#.UAkeVBVBlYM

Will need model # for more specific info, but this will give you a ballpark.  Theres also ways to tweak the thermostat to give you the 3-4 minute bake.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 10:16:39 AM »
Pizza De Puta,

In addition to Brianís excellent advice, my Bakerís Pride deck oven was converted from natural gas to propane, but I didnít do it.  I had a professional do the conversion.

Norma   
Always working and looking for new information!

scott123

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 08:34:17 PM »
RE, older ovens can be better, but not always.  In order to make a proper assessment, you/we need specs.

Btus
Baking area dimensions
Hearth thickness/material
Ceiling height
Peak thermostat temp

I'm not all that optimistic that this will give you the NY bake times that you're looking for.  Gas ovens, even old-ish gas ovens, tend to be iffy. If it doesn't give you the bake times, though, all is not lost.  If it has the BTUs, then you can try adding a brick ceiling and you can also probably mess with the thermostat.