Author Topic: My American Style Crispy Crust (with pics if they post)  (Read 4065 times)

Offline Mamma Mia

My American Style Crispy Crust (with pics if they post)
« on: August 01, 2010, 11:45:27 PM »
 I like crispy  American style. My basic dough is :

1 C King Arthur Bread Flour ( I store in Ziploc bags and metal tight seal can  to preserve freshness and find this very important to achieve my desired crispiness)
1/3 C Swan or Other Brand Cake Flour (in a box)
2 t GNC soy lecithin
1 t sugar
2 t IDY from Sam’s
3 T canola oil
2/3 C filtered tap water

I hand knead 5-10 minutes. Let rise in covered bowl for about 1 hour. I shape by pressing into an oiled 15 inch pan and let it rise another  30 minutes. I then par bake for 5 min in a preheated 450 degree oven on  bottom baking stone. Then cool on a rack for 5 minutes and then onto a white cornmeal dusted wooden peel.

I then top a light wipe of Olive Oil and then with Furmano Crushed Tomatoes or Sam‘s Ground Tomatoes. I use a cheese mix of 3 slices of provolone, 4 oz grated monterrey jack, and just under 8 oz of shredded moz part-skim. I use Pennzeys Turkish Oregano and toppings of your choice.

I then bake on a stone until desired brownness is achieved and then cool on a rack for about 5-10 minutes or until we can’t wait any longer!

Thanks to the posts on this board, I have recently started experimenting with the slow cold rise in the fridge. I have used anywhere from 1/8 t to ½ t yeast and from 24 to 72 hour rise. I put my dough in the fridge immediately and take out about 2 hours before forming.  My yeast is kept in the fridge and I use filtered tap water.

While doing the slow cold rise I also found I liked the crust and crumb if I made the pizza a bit more on the wet side than I had previously done.   I definitely liked the richer flavor from this approach and found my edge and bottom crusts browned nicer. The 1/2t and 72 hour rise was the best.

The pics are of my normal pizza method. I will take some pics of my slow rise on the next pizza.  The crust is thinner than the one shown.

Offline Zelodonio

Re: My American Style Crispy Crust (with pics if they post)
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 12:33:15 PM »
Looks very nice! Will try your recipe in about a week. :chef:

pizzapan