Author Topic: Norfolk, Virginia's Azalea Inn Pizza  (Read 1803 times)

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
Norfolk, Virginia's Azalea Inn Pizza
« on: July 20, 2012, 11:33:58 PM »
Good stuff here!!!  Has anyone ever tried cloning this one?...

http://www.azaleainnrestaurant.com/ordereze/Default.aspx   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Norfolk, Virginia's Azalea Inn Pizza
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 09:58:28 AM »
Good stuff here!!!  Has anyone ever tried cloning this one?...

http://www.azaleainnrestaurant.com/ordereze/Default.aspx   ;D

Pete,

I donít know if you realized how difficult it is to clone or reverse engineer a pizza.  If there arenít Nutrition Facts and there isnít someone that can watch and know about what amount of toppings go on any pizza, what kind of oven it is baked in, the amount of time that the pizza is baked, types or brands of cheese (or cheeses), sauce (or sauces), etc. it can be extremely difficult to try to clone or reverse engineer any pizza.

I have been on some threads with Peter when he was trying to reverse engineer or clone pizzas.  It can take many months, or even years, to be able to try to reverse engineer different pizzas and even then sometimes it can't be done.  Someone has to understand how to change Nutrition Facts into hard numbers.  That can take a lot of searching and also being able to understand the math is something that also has to be done.  Unless there is an insider that know all of that stuff, it would really be hard.

I have been on the MM thread and the boardwalk thread trying to understand how to try to clone pizzas.  It can be fun, but also very challenging.  I have learned a lot on the threads where I was trying to help to learn about how to clone pizzas, and enjoyed those threads, but the time and expertise needed might blow you mind.   :-D

If you look at the Shakeyís thread you will see different members are still working on that for a long while.  :o

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 11:46:46 AM »
Pete,

I donít know if you realized how difficult it is to clone or reverse engineer a pizza.  If there arenít Nutrition Facts and there isnít someone that can watch and know about what amount of toppings go on any pizza, what kind of oven it is baked in, the amount of time that the pizza is baked, types or brands of cheese (or cheeses), sauce (or sauces), etc. it can be extremely difficult to try to clone or reverse engineer any pizza.

I have been on some threads with Peter when he was trying to reverse engineer or clone pizzas.  It can take many months, or even years, to be able to try to reverse engineer different pizzas and even then sometimes it can't be done.  Someone has to understand how to change Nutrition Facts into hard numbers.  That can take a lot of searching and also being able to understand the math is something that also has to be done.  Unless there is an insider that know all of that stuff, it would really be hard.

I have been on the MM thread and the boardwalk thread trying to understand how to try to clone pizzas.  It can be fun, but also very challenging.  I have learned a lot on the threads where I was trying to help to learn about how to clone pizzas, and enjoyed those threads, but the time and expertise needed might blow you mind.   :-D

If you look at the Shakeyís thread you will see different members are still working on that for a long while.  :o

Norma

I understand, Norma, but this is a pizza that could definitely be worth the effort, trust me!!!  LOL   :)

I cannot emphasize the fact enough that Azalea Inn would be the ONLY reason I'd ever pay that salty Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel toll again and return to the Tidewater area.  I'm glad to see it's still there.   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 12:44:23 PM »
I understand, Norma, but this is a pizza that could definitely be worth the effort, trust me!!!  LOL   :)

I cannot emphasize the fact enough that Azalea Inn would be the ONLY reason I'd ever pay that salty Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel toll again and return to the Tidewater area.  I'm glad to see it's still there.   ;D

Pete,

I trust you that Azalea Inn pizza might be worth trying to clone, but unless you are willing to invest a great amount of time and effort, or unless you are extremely lucky, have a person that has worked there before, I think you should just relax and sleep on trying to clone it.   :)

I donít think most members think about the time, expenses out of your own pocket, (for driving to the pizza business (maybe many multiple times), ingredients, time involved trying to clone a pizza, etc.) what all can go into something like this.

I know from prior trying to clone just a few pizzas, it is a lot more than you or any other members might think.  Many times I wish I just would have thought about trying to clone a pizza and spent the time doing something else now. :-D

Good luck though, if you decide to try and clone the Azalea Inn pizza.  I am glad you found a pizza you really like.  :)

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 09:27:24 PM »
Pete,

I trust you that Azalea Inn pizza might be worth trying to clone, but unless you are willing to invest a great amount of time and effort, or unless you are extremely lucky, have a person that has worked there before, I think you should just relax and sleep on trying to clone it.   :)

I donít think most members think about the time, expenses out of your own pocket, (for driving to the pizza business (maybe many multiple times), ingredients, time involved trying to clone a pizza, etc.) what all can go into something like this.

I know from prior trying to clone just a few pizzas, it is a lot more than you or any other members might think.  Many times I wish I just would have thought about trying to clone a pizza and spent the time doing something else now. :-D

Good luck though, if you decide to try and clone the Azalea Inn pizza.  I am glad you found a pizza you really like.  :)

Norma

Thanks, Norma!!!  It's been quite awhile since I enjoyed this particular pizza being that it was one of the highlights of my time in Norfolk as a member of Uncle Sam's Canoe Club many moons ago.  There is a reason it was voted the best in the Hampton Roads area, however, and I thought it deserved to be brought to the attention of our membership here.   :)

Deciding which particular pizza to invest the time and effort into duplicating is always a personal decision.  As far as I'm concerned, I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would want to clone a cheapened modern corporate chain pizza like those offered by Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Domino's, Godfather's, and the like considering the myriad of chemicals which are added to the "product" in order to increase profits for investors.  After all, where in the heck am I going to find the silicone cheese?  LOLOLOL   ;D  
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 09:36:29 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 09:54:55 PM »
Thanks, Norma!!!  It's been quite awhile since I enjoyed this particular pizza being that it was one of the highlights of my time in Norfolk as a member of Uncle Sam's Canoe Club many moons ago.  There is a reason it was voted the best in the Hampton Roads area, however, and I thought it deserved to be brought to the attention of our membership here.   :)

Deciding which particular pizza to invest the time and effort into duplicating is always a personal decision.  As far as I'm concerned, I can't for the life of me figure out why someone would want to clone a cheapened modern corporate chain pizza like those offered by Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Domino's, Godfather's, and the like considering the myriad of chemicals which are added to the "product" in order to increase profits for investors.  After all, where in the heck am I going to find the silicone cheese?  LOLOLOL   ;D  

Pete,

Any good pizza deserves to be brought before the membership to see if they might be interested in helping to clone a pizza.  :) Unless there are other members that are also interested in trying to clone the pizza though, it can be hard for one member to be able to do it.  I agree that deciding which particular pizza to invest the time and effort into duplicating is always a personal decision.  A member might even have to go dumpster diving and try to find all the ingredients that they use in their pizzas.  :o

Peter has posted many times that members usually only join this forum to find a quick recipe (and maybe not in bakerís percents).  Those members usually just want a quick dummy method and never even report back most of the time how their pies turned out.  They are the members that usually donít help this forum by posting or helping other members.  Usually those members that just sign up to be able to search, and usually donít stay long.  I agree with you about the cloning efforts of different pizzas that do add different chemicals, but they are the pizzas that most people come here to be able to try and make.  

I donít know if you ever tried Papa Johnís formulations here on the forum, but they are more tasteful than a real Papa Johnís pizza.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 08:11:59 AM »
Pete,

The reality is that some of the most popular threads on this forum are those that are devoted to clones or copycats of the chain pizzas. Most of those pizzas are the American style. To show you how populat those threads are, even with little current activity, take a look at the page view counts for the threads on the American board at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/board,36.0.html. I would say that the bulk of those page views are because of recipe seekers who have found this forum through the use of search engines (most notably, Google).

Reverse engineering and cloning the dough recipes and pizzas of small independent pizzerias is extremely difficult because there is usually very little public information available on such doughs and pizzas. And trying to reverse engineer and clone doughs and pizzas from photos alone is a lot harder than people might think. The Mack's exercise was a lot like that but we at least had some information on the flour and tomatoes, and Norma and other members were able to purchase Mack's pizzas for the purposes of inspection and analysis. It is highly unlikely that I will ever go through a Mack's type of cloning exercise again, at least openly on the forum. The ones who most benefit from that type of effort are those who join the forum solely to look for clone recipes and then leave once they have printed them out.

To add to the above, I agree with Norma that clones of the chain pizzas can be made at home that are, in my opinion, better than what the chains make. Most of the chain pizzas can be replicated without using additives and conditioners and, in most cases, using better cheeses than many of the chains use, especially the biggest chains like Papa John's who use cheeses from industry giants like Leprino's. Some of the smaller chains, like Mellow Mushroom and Jet's, use quality Grande cheeses. And many of the chains, both large and small, use fresh-pack tomatoes from sources such as Stanislaus and Escalon. And their flours are quality flours. In many cases, the ingredients used by many of the chains are better than those used by many small independents. To be sure, there are some chain pizzas that are deserving of criticism, such as Domino's (because of extensive use of additives and conditioners) and Pizza Hut (mainly because of the use of frozen doughs with a lot of additives and conditioners), but even their doughs can be replicated without all the chemicals.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 04:29:00 PM »
.  After all, where in the heck am I going to find the silicone  
Whaaa....did you not see their "Our wonderful staff" photo gallery? Dat's a spicy meatballa!   >:D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 01:48:01 PM »
Whaaa....did you not see their "Our wonderful staff" photo gallery? Dat's a spicy meatballa!   >:D

We could always try cloning a few of those also, huh Bob?  Stepford pizza girls, you bet!!!   8)

Being in Upper Carolina, you're almost close enough that you could check the place out sometime.   :)

Looks like they're still serving pizzas on those pedestal trays which always seemed to be quite popular in the Tidewater area.   ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 02:06:25 PM »
I'll meet you there bruddah!   >:D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"