Author Topic: Re: Meet and greet  (Read 427 times)

Offline Rockyraccoon82

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Meet and greet
« on: May 01, 2014, 07:36:20 AM »
Here's a picture of the oven I made.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 07:55:51 AM »
Here's a picture of the oven I made.
Love the oven Rocky - rustic and well seasoned.  It reminds me of the famed "PizzaHacker" AKA Jeff Krupman shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLC-SIGpZkE.  Jeff went on to own a restaurant which I reviewed here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=30007.msg299963#msg299963.

If you don't mind sharing, how did you construct that dome?

Dave

Offline Rockyraccoon82

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2014, 09:09:15 AM »
Thanks very much Dave. The first oven I made was a copy of jeffs. But there was a few issues which made it difficult to work with. This oven is a mixture of his and the the pizza kettle add on. I used the original lid which comes with the weber and welded a five inch ring of oil drum to the bottom. Then I insulated it and rendered it with some weather proof cement. I'll post some pictures of the construction when I get home.

scott123

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 09:13:48 AM »
I used the original lid which comes with the weber and welded a five inch ring of oil drum to the bottom.

Chris, could you expand on this a bit?  Are you saying that you added a false ceiling to the weber lid that's 5" in diameter?  What's your present dome height?

Offline Rockyraccoon82

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 10:32:48 AM »
Hey Scott. There is no false ceiling. The oil drum was used as a side wall for the lid to sit on, to lift the lid above the deck. Not a 100% on the height but I would say about 8 inches. Am using it at the weekend so I'll give it a measure.

scott123

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 10:50:53 AM »
Got it. So you cut a strip out of an oil drum and are using it as a wall.  I like that idea.

There's not a huge amount of information floating around regarding how Jeff built his Frankenweber, and, to make matters worse, he changed his design a few times, but, as far as I know, he never used the weber lid as the inner dome, but, rather, used the weber lid as a mold to cast his dome, filling the lid entirely with some kind of refractory mix.

By filling the lid, he reduced his final dome height, which is critical in any bottom/side heat scenario. Without the lower dome, you don't get as much radiative impact and the top of the pizza tends to bake much slower than the bottom.

Offline Rockyraccoon82

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 02:04:19 PM »
Yeah that's right. When I made the frankenweber I just winged it. It worked ok but nowhere near as consistent as this one. Am getting regular floor temp of 800f and ceiling temp off 850f to 900f. Here's some pictures to check out.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 07:52:41 PM »
that is a great idea.love the rolling flame.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 07:54:03 PM »
 where is the wood next to the pizza or under it?

Offline Rockyraccoon82

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2014, 03:28:01 AM »
There is a 4x10 inch gap at the side of the oven which drops down to the lower grate. I start a small fire down there and build it up the side wall so the wood comes over the pizza stone. I just keep piling wood at the side to keep it above the pizza stone. That way you get heat under your pizza stone and the flames roll over the top of the pizza. Normally I am looking at a 90 second bake.

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2014, 08:57:38 AM »
Nicely done Rocky.  Thanks for sharing.
Dave

Offline Adam T

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 09:06:39 AM »
Pretty cool Rocky.

I enjoyed reading the pizzahacker story and about his oven. I had heard a little of pizzahacker and of course the term frankenweber, but I didn't know the whole background to it.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 10:05:17 AM »
 i have a 26 inch webber knock off new in box do you have any other build pictures? what did you make your floor out of? this is a realy good idea and i like the fact no refractory is being used.

Offline Rockyraccoon82

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Re: Meet and greet
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 12:35:51 PM »
Cheers dave and adamt
Unfortunately thezaman I don't have anymore, but your half way there with your weber. I made a mould of the circumference of the grill and cut a bit of the side so it wouldn't foul where the wood goes down. I used a premixed firebrick mortar. You just put it into the mould and tamper it down, let it air cure and then cure it in your home oven for about three hours. Good luck.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 12:52:20 PM »
that i how you made your floor,yes??

Offline Rockyraccoon82

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Re: Meet and greet
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 01:13:12 PM »

pizzapan