Author Topic: greasy pizza  (Read 4803 times)

Offline chriss

• I Love Pizza!
greasy pizza
« on: October 18, 2005, 08:23:53 PM »
this may sound weird but does anyone know what makes pizzas greasy? i am allergic to wheat so i have to make all my pizzas by hand using other flours and i have really been craving a greasy pizza lately.. im talking about the kind where theres orange grease all over the top and sometimes dripping off the pizza. can anyone help me out?
-chris

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
Re: greasy pizza
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 09:00:55 PM »
That "orange" grease you are seeing is a combination of the oil from the cheese mixing with the sauce on the dough, this is quite common.

There are several places that have greasy pizza where I live, and it's due to the cheese they are using.  Some places where I live also mix oil in with the
sauce, not much but they do, which makes their sauces a bit more juicy, but lends a hand at that "orange" sauce you are seeing.

I don't know what to tell you about getting a greasy pizza though, - I'd try and go where you got one before  ;)

im talking about the kind where theres orange grease all over the top and sometimes dripping off the pizza. can anyone help me out?
-chris
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2005, 12:20:31 AM »
Chris, some brands of mozzarella just release more oil than others when they melt.  Try any whole milk processed mozzarella you can find locally, and one will probably give you what you are looking for. I could be crazy, but it seems like in general the softer whole milk cheeses release more oil.   The part skim variety's will probably not give you what you want.  Canadianbacon's suggestion of adding oil to the sauce would surely help as well, but oil on top of the pizza will give you an authentic old school effect.  Pepe's in New haven uses oil on top for a really good greasy pizza.

Offline chiguy

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2005, 02:14:21 AM »
 Hi Chriss
 A few sprinkles of olive oil over the cheese before it go's into the oven will help. Also, peperoni and sausage can add alot of grease. I have heard of raw sausage being used , in this case you may have to lower your baking  temperatue and keep it in for 30-35 mins. Try to add the sausage in small bits so it can cook through (on top of the cheese).
      Goodluck,  Chiguy

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2005, 08:11:41 AM »
I have heard of raw sausage being used , in this case you may have to lower your baking  temperatue and keep it in for 30-35 mins. Try to add the sausage in small bits so it can cook through (on top of the cheese).

Holy cow! That's what every single pizza place in Chicago uses. Please don't tell me that your pizza joints use pre-cooked sausage?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2005, 09:04:56 AM »
sad, but true.  I can only think of two places here that use raw on top.

If you break up the sausage into small bits and put it on last it should take the same amount of time to bake the pizza as you normally would.

Offline chiguy

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2005, 11:28:50 AM »
 Hi, Scottr
sad, but true. I can only think of two places here that use raw on top.

If you break up the sausage into small bits and put it on last it should take the same amount of time to bake the pizza as you normally would.
   I tend to bake my pizzas at 550 about 6 1/2 minutes which is a short time, I have never added raw sausage on my N.Y. Stlye. It just never seemed long enough  to try it. Maybe you have different experiences. I also feel that my home oven can not replicate what a commercial oven can do as far as baking properly.  I do use a thin layer of raw sausage patty on my Chicago Deep Dish that is baked at 375 Deg. for about 40 minutes. It has always worked out fine. I also wanted to address Lilbuddypizza,yes most Chicago places are using raw sausage but some are not. I spent some time at the Pizza Expo and there are a few companies that sell good quality pre-cooked frozen sausage bit's, not like Domino's or Pizza Hut. Hey, there's a couple of places in Chicago that dont use raw fresh sausage. A matter of fact it might not be sausage at all ???.

Offline chriss

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 01:40:12 PM »
Thanks a lot guys! Ill definitely try some of these.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2005, 12:01:42 AM »
chiguy, I really think you will be fine on the NY style with the 6.5 minutes at 550.  Again, just make sure the sausage goes on last, and take the time to rip the sausages into smaller bits.  I used to do this all the time (back in my 550 days) with my light baked pies.  i have never been one to love well done pies.  I prefer my cheese to not be browned much if I can help it.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2005, 09:51:15 AM »
Being in the meat industry, I would say that raw is the standard(probably 85% in Chicago). Precooked is used for mostly chains,non-pizza restaurants, schools, etc. There's nothing really wrong with the other stuff, it just has added soy flour and is precooked, which takes away from adding more flavor to the sauce.
Also, if using raw, you can use it under the cheese. Just remember how much heat is in there. The stone is super hot and the heat of the oven combine to cook from the top and bottom very efficiently. I use either thick but small bits of sausage, or big flat (the thickness of 1-2 quarters) pieces about 2inches wide. I preheat the stone for an hour at 500 and then on broil for 15 minutes before cooking. This has always produced thoroughly cooked sausage.

Offline chiguy

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2005, 11:22:59 AM »
 Hi, Lil Buddy& Scottr
 Thanks for all the info on the raw sausage subjet, it is a real confidence bulider. I am sure you have cooked or grilled for someone who constantly hounds you about their meat being cooked?? Is that burger cooked?? Is that burger done?? Alot of chicago has the sausage under the cheese and it's excellent this way.The original question was for a greasy pizza top, in which i said to add raw sausage to the top of the cheese. The sausage seems to add alot of grease to the top as well as a good pepperoni. Lil buddy it is nice to hear you have knowledge on the meat Industry i am sure there are alot more interesting things going into processed meat besides soy flour. :-X :-X
                                   Chiguy

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2005, 10:50:28 AM »
Dude-
Yeah, I HAVE to have well done. Pink pork is not good. Some places where I order from tend to undercook the pie(where the cheese is still white). I have it well done all the time.

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2005, 06:51:24 AM »
For a nice greasy pie use a lot of pepperoni too! ;)

A lot of of the orange color also comes from the 'oleoresin of paprika' used to color the pepperoni. ;)
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline RockyMarciano

• Go Sabres! Go Bills!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2006, 04:21:59 PM »
use a regular pizza pan instead of a screen, add more oil to the dough, use more pepperoni and cheese!

pizzapan