Author Topic: pizza business  (Read 4362 times)

Offline osamapizza

pizza business
« on: July 24, 2012, 12:11:18 PM »
Hi everyone;

What do I need to open my own pizza place? I have zero knowledge in making pizza.

Are videos and tutorial enough for learning professional pizza making skills? Or should I attend professional pizza making courses.

Do I need lots of capital to start my business.

Is it profitable to own a pizza place?

Thanks.

Offline pizzablogger

Re: pizza business
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 12:57:56 PM »
Hi everyone;

What do I need to open my own pizza place? I have zero knowledge in making pizza.

Are videos and tutorial enough for learning professional pizza making skills? Or should I attend professional pizza making courses.

Do I need lots of capital to start my business.

Is it profitable to own a pizza place?

Thanks.

You need a business plan to start, among other things.

What style of pizza do you envision selling?

What type of pizza place do you envision opening (corner slice joint, sit down pizzeria, etc)?

Will it be pizza and salads only or will other items like chicken wings be included on the menu?

Will you serve beer and wine?

Videos and help from resources such as this forum, along with a lot of time spent going through the trials and errors to become proficient at making pizza are enough to make good pizza. A course is not necessary, but it may help ramp up your learning curve.

Why pizza? Do you have any desire to learn more about it? Is it a passion for you or is it simply a matter of addressing a need in your targeted area?

You may need lots of capital....that will depend on what type of a pizzeria you intend to open. The style of pizza would also impact your capital, as not all styles use the same types of ovens, mixers, etc. EDIT: Whether you decide to buy or lease a property would have a large impact as well.

It can be profitable to own a pizza place, in some instances very much so....particularly if you intend to serve beer and wine. I've now seen actual P&L statements from a few pizzerias...they run the gamut from decent to figures that would make most peoples eyes pop. -K

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 01:05:40 PM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline jeffereynelson

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 10:49:21 PM »
If you know nothing, why do you want to open one? Why not just keep eating it at your favorite place?

Offline osamapizza

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 12:09:15 PM »
@pizzablogger

Thanks for the information. I really like pizza a lot. So, I thought I can open a pizza place one day.

In your opinion. What is the most popular type of pizza? Is it Italian or American?

@jeffereynelson
Compared to making other type of food, pizza making is the easiest. I understand that I still need to learn the art behind it. But, my point is that the art behind making pizza is much much simpler than for example preparing various types of Italian dishes.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 02:32:20 PM »
Compared to making other type of food, pizza making is the easiest. I understand that I still need to learn the art behind it. But, my point is that the art behind making pizza is much much simpler than for example preparing various types of Italian dishes.

sigh...
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 03:36:18 PM »
yep..............what can one say.

sigh...

Offline Cdragon

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 07:07:11 PM »
Why don't you try working at a pizza joint and find out how easy it is. It could be the cheapest and fastest way to educate yourself about pizza.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 07:18:10 PM »
You should just buy an existing pizzeria.  Oh wait, they probably will be making suck pizza if they are for sale.  If you have a passion for pizza, work to the goal.  If you just have a passion for money, rob a bank.

Offline ThePizzaBiatch

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 04:12:39 PM »
@pizzablogger

Thanks for the information. I really like pizza a lot. So, I thought I can open a pizza place one day.

In your opinion. What is the most popular type of pizza? Is it Italian or American?

@jeffereynelson

This guy has to be baiting...  Really?

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 04:32:28 PM »
I'm going to be honest and without sarcasm.

Making GOOD pizza is not easy.  Making crap pizza is easy.  Staying in business selling crap pizza is not easy. 

It all comes down to you.  How much effort do you want to put into it?  If you put in the effort and make pizza that rocks, you can find backers to open a place.   If you don't want to put much work into it, and you don't care about quality, you will find it a very hard struggle, first to open, then to keep it going.

It all comes down to your efforts and mindset.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 04:41:41 PM »
Making GOOD pizza is not easy.  Making crap pizza is easy.

Isn't it funny, though, how when you actually try to make crap pizza, it usually ends up being awesome?

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 04:54:58 PM »
It all comes down to you.  How much effort do you want to put into it?  If you put in the effort and make pizza that rocks, you can find backers to open a place.   If you don't want to put much work into it, and you don't care about quality, you will find it a very hard struggle, first to open, then to keep it going.

It all comes down to your efforts and mindset.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there. For almost a decade I've done tons to show SOMEONE that I know my stuff and that I'm willing to bust my ass like no one else. Not just that I know my stuff when it comes to making pizza, but also about marketing and customer service and all the things that actually make pizzerias either profitable or unprofitable. I even walked across the United States, basically just to prove that I can do anything I say I can do. Nobody noticed and nobody cared.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 06:31:53 PM »
Ryan, I don't know your history and what you've gone through.   Maybe it would make sense to work in the industry for a while in a management position to show your experience dealing with money, as well as your passion for pizza.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 06:48:28 PM »
OP put this up a month ago and hasn't been seen  since......guess he changed his mind. Wonder if he maybe bought a KFC franchise..... :'(
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 07:14:25 PM »
Ryan, I don't know your history and what you've gone through.   Maybe it would make sense to work in the industry for a while in a management position to show your experience dealing with money, as well as your passion for pizza.

I'm a different person than I was two years ago when I was finishing up the walk. Ironically, I now have a very hard time walking, thanks to MS. Due to this disability, I'm not really pursuing any pizza avenues for the time being. Still, I haven't given up on ever doing anything in the pizza business. Most of what I have to offer is not in my legs, anyway; it's in my head.

Eventually maybe I'll somehow team up with someone who needs and recognizes what I have to offer, but right now I'm just making pizza every day and spending a big chunk of my time on these boards.

Offline pizzaneer

« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2012, 07:54:02 PM »
I'm a different person than I was two years ago when I was finishing up the walk. Ironically, I now have a very hard time walking, thanks to MS. Due to this disability, I'm not really pursuing any pizza avenues for the time being. Still, I haven't given up on ever doing anything in the pizza business. Most of what I have to offer is not in my legs, anyway; it's in my head.

Eventually maybe I'll somehow team up with someone who needs and recognizes what I have to offer, but right now I'm just making pizza every day and spending a big chunk of my time on these boards.

I can only say.. that sucks.  That really, really sucks.  To be so active, then be facing a lifetime of dwindling abilities... I don't know how you cope.  I'm handicapped as well, but my 95% hearing impairment is a lifelong condition, and I've never known anything else.  I hope to get out of what I'm currently doing as well.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2012, 09:05:37 PM »
as they say in Latts and atts (great cruising rag)

"Live your Dream, don't Dream your life !"

and yes 100% passion before profit  ;)
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 09:31:44 PM »
I can only say.. that sucks.  That really, really sucks.  To be so active, then be facing a lifetime of dwindling abilities...

Yup. You pretty much nailed it there, especially because it all started about two weeks after I finished the walk. (Well, I now realize it actually started much earlier, but it suddenly got worse after the walk.) One day you're a freaking machine, and two weeks later it's hard to pick up your feet or stay balanced.

Somehow I still managed to walk 350 miles through New England last September, though, even though I could barely walk more than a few hundred feet at a time when I began. So that gives me some hope that I might be able to get myself in better condition. But it's gonna take a lot of work, probably on a treadmill.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 09:34:49 PM »

John

I've lived a lot of dreams, man. Not just my own dreams, but the dreams of millions of guys who always wanted to do the things I've done but never had the balls to try it. I could probably write at least four books about it, too. And I just might.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 09:39:58 PM »

John
Did they cruise off into the sunset.....

http://www.sailnet.com/forums/latitudes-attitudes/88844-latts-atts-gone.html
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan