Author Topic: Cook's Illustrated Canned Tomato Tasting  (Read 12559 times)

Offline dmcavanagh

Re: Cook's Illustrated Canned Tomato Tasting
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 10:22:54 PM »
Several people around here, I among them, have tasted and compared Classico's and 6 in 1 side by side. Both products are Heinz owned, both come from CA., and except for the fact that Classico's ground tomatoes are peeled whereas the most popular 6 in 1's ground are unpeeled, most feel they are about as identical as identical can be.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 10:05:06 AM »
For those who are interested, here are the relevant parts of the Nutrition Facts and the ingredients lists for the Classico peeled ground and crushed tomatoes and for the 6-IN-1 tomatoes:

Classico Peeled Ground Tomatoes
Ingredients: Peeled ground tomatoes, extra heavy tomato puree, salt
Serving size: 110 grams
Sodium, 210 milligrams
Total Carbohydrate, 7 grams
Dietary Fiber, 2 grams
Sugars, 5 grams
Protein, 2 grams

Classico Crushed Tomatoes
Ingredients: Unpeeled ground tomatoes, extra heavy tomato puree, salt
Sodium, 200 milligrams
Total Carbohydrate, 7 grams
Dietary Fiber, 2 grams
Sugars, 5 grams
Protein, 2 grams

6-IN-1 All Purpose Ground Tomatoes
Ingredients: Vine-ripened fresh unpeeled ground tomatoes, extra heavy tomato puree and salt
Sodium, 180 milligrams
Total Carbohydrate, 6 grams
Dietary Fiber, 2 grams
Sugars, 4 grams
Protein, 2 grams

It is unlikely that most people will be able to discern much difference between the three products although some may detect textural differences (e.g., peeled versus unpeeled) or the greater amount of natural sugars in the two Classico products. The difference in sodium values when related to table salt is de minimus.

Peter

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 11:07:15 AM »
Heh, I go to Capri Flavors every couple of months (with a cooler) and spend way too much money. I'm fortunate to live somewhat nearby and regularly have business near there. I've spoken with Signora Titina on several occasions. Her recommendations are gold. She'll be there with a hot crockpot full of one of here specialties, offering up servings to everyone. A great family business to be supported by this community.

If I were to do this list, this is what I would choose:

WHOLE TOMATOES ONLY

Quick sauces (5-8 minutes) and raw application on neapolitan pizza:

John
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 11:49:27 AM »
Mmmph

You are the second person I have seen who has recommended Titinas, wish I could get them locally, but such is not the case.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 04:15:46 PM »
I've opened cans of Classico and 6 in 1's side by side and they are virtually identical except for the fact that Classico's are "peeled", the 6 in 1's I opened next to them were NOT "peeled".

Offline Bill 001

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 12:24:33 PM »
I did NOT open them side by side, but the sauce I made 2 days ago used Classico crushed tomatoes, which are "unpeeled".  My experience is the same as Dave's, "virtually identical" with 6 in 1. 

BTW, what is the difference between crushed and ground?

Bill

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2012, 09:35:36 AM »
Crushed v ground? Technically I'm not sure, but in the case where a company offers both the ground are more puree like while the crushed are a little more "chunky". Sometimes when "crushed" tomatoes are a bit chunky you will notice they can be a bit "runny". Ground seem to be more consistently the same texture, with less seperation. Ground make a great sauce spooned on a dough right out of the can. Crushed can sometimes need to be slightly strained or blotted to remove some of the excess liquid. I often use Sclafani crushed tomatoes which are very heavy without being "chunky" or watery. No need to strain off any liquid. Hope that helps.

pizzapan