Author Topic: Candy's go'in bad  (Read 960 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Candy's go'in bad
« on: July 24, 2012, 07:16:21 PM »
Wondering if anyone else has recently experienced 28oz. Classico crushed or ground souring in the frig. after only 3-4 days. This has happened to my last 3 batches in 2 weeks time...nothing added and very clean containers. Is Wally try'in to pull a fast one on 'ol Bob?  Hmmm....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
Re: Candy's go'in bad
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 07:59:17 PM »
Not recently, but that's why I stopped buying Classico. I had a few batches that seemed to sour way too quickly in the fridge.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 08:16:29 PM »
Maybe this advice from Stanislaus might help explain the phenomena you both have been experiencing: http://www.stanislausfoodproducts.com/products/tomato-university/proper-sauce-handling-tips.

Peter

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 08:42:42 PM »
When I just use seasoned tomatoes, I only season what I use and store the unused tomatoes in the fridge unseasoned. I have heard of what Stanislaus mentioned about the spices contaminating the tomatoes.

I have been using 6-in-1 lately and I've never had any problem storing it for longer periods. I had some Classico a while back that had a slight sour smell when I opened them.

I bought a bunch of Classico when I found it real cheap at a local store. I ended up making cooked sauce with it because, depending what kind of pizza I'm making, I sometimes like a rich cooked sauce better than uncooked tomatoes.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2012, 11:13:54 AM »
My last 2 cans were not as bright red in color and the last can tasted a 'lil tinny. Man I hope this isn't a sign of things to come cause I swore off the Penn Mac Pirate Co.
Don, what type of pizza do you like using a cooked sauce on? Thanks.

"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 11:57:52 AM »
When I said that I had a few cans that had a sour smell when I opened them, I meant when I first opened them and not out of the fridge. This totally turned me off to the brand.

As to the cooked sauce vs. uncooked, sometimes I guess it's just what I'm in the mood for. It has more to do with the type of cheese and what toppings than the pizza's style. I think that if a pie has a lot of meat or other toppings that have a lot of flavor by themselves, a good rich-flavored sauce goes well with them. When I use dry or aged cheeses, I like when the cheese bubbles with the richer sauce. When I make more "delicate" pies like my NY Margherita, where I use fresh mozz, I definitely prefer uncooked tomatoes.

Some of my favorite pizzaria pizzas are my favorites because of their sauce. For me it is their sauce that sets them apart from everyone else. Many years ago, I used to like both Dominos and Pizza Hut because I liked their sauces. Now neither of them put enough sauce to even make a difference and if you ask for extra sauce, they go overboard and you end up with pizza soup.