Author Topic: cold rise abnormal smell  (Read 882 times)

Offline air540g

cold rise abnormal smell
« on: July 25, 2012, 05:02:09 AM »
Sorry for my poor english..

I have made dough using the following formula.  320g each dough ball

Flour 100%.   1000g
Water 50%.      500g
Salt 1.7%.         17g
Sugar  2%.         20g
vegetable Oil 3%.            30g
SAF semi dry yeast  0.5%.   5g

After mixing I placed the dough balls in the sealed plastic envelopes, and then in the refrigerator for 48hour cold rise.

Out from the oven, there were some abnormal small in the dough, I think the smell was flour smell or fermentation smell.

I tried many kind of flours, all with this kind of smell. Who cantell me what is this smell?

This smell is very strong. 
how can I make a pizza without this smell? Or less strong?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 05:18:49 AM by air540g »

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
Re: cold rise abnormal smell
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 01:43:42 AM »
I like to use ZIPLOC Double Zipper heavy duty freezer bags that are made by  S.C. Johnson. (the Gallon Size) I purchase them at Costco Wholesale. They work very well for me.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11099772&search=freezer+bags&Mo=1&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Browse=1&Sp=S&N=5000045&whse=BD_767&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&Ne=4000000&D=freezer+bags&Ntt=freezer+bags&No=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_767&topnav=bdoff&s=1

I coat the dough ball with Extra Virgin Olive Oil before putting it into the bag, then into refrigerator. I make sure the bag is sealed well. I never have any problems with the smell.

I am wondering if you have anything else in the refrigerator that might kick off a strong odor? perhaps next to garlic, onions, something that might be spoiled and you didn't realize it? Also, I am using a freezer bag, not the thinner sandwich bag.

Finally, is your yeast fresh / not expired? What about the rest of your ingredients? Make sure your flour has not been setting next to something on the shelf that is over powering. Flour can also absorb odors, kind of like baking soda does. It goes without saying, that your mixing bowl needs to be completely cleaned before using it. Make sure there is no detergent residue left on it either, before you begin mixing everything.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:04:52 AM by TomN »

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 05:59:44 PM »
*THAT SMELL is something I am specifically looking for. Could you describe what type of yeast you used? I am not familiar with SAF semi dry yeast.

You're probably smelling the products of fermentation. That is fairly long fermentation period.

The plastic "envelopes" you're using, do they close with glue or any adhesive? or are they the zipper style bags?

Offline Cdragon

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 11:31:28 AM »
Is it alcohol from the fermentation?

buceriasdon

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 12:24:02 PM »

" I am not familiar with SAF semi dry yeast. "

Dan, It's a very popular brand of Instant Dry Yeast:      http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/saf-red-instant-yeast-16-oz

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 01:05:40 PM »
I am familiar with SAF instant yeast, it was the "semi-dry" comment that had me curious. Is that what they call this? I was thinking it was a compressed form from the description.

buceriasdon

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 01:24:51 PM »
Dan, I think the confusion comes from the OP not quite getting the right term for saf-IDY. No biggie. It comes in a vacuum packed bag so it feels compressed.