Author Topic: Via Napoli at Epcot  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Bob1

Via Napoli at Epcot
« on: June 28, 2012, 12:48:04 PM »
I just got back from a vacation in Orlando.  It was very nice.  I swore after my visits to Disney in the late 90's and early 2000's I would never return.  At that time Disney was an out of control money machine and I felt personally violated, if you no what I mean.  I thought I was going to just Discovery Cove, Sea World, and Universal, but the wife had other plans.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that Disney cleaned things up and provided a nice experience.  Don't get me wrong, it was not cheap, but it was not gouging as before.  Their quality of food at all the places I ate was very good.  In Epcot I decided to try the Neo Pizza at Via Napoli.  I am not an authority but I have viewed many different pies over the last few years and have tried few other places.  I liked the pies at Amano in Jersey and was using them for comparison.  I was a little apprehensive when I saw pictures of the pies and did not see much char, but decided to go anyway.  Their crust is not as puffy and light as Amano but it was still very digestable and had a slight one day fermented flavor.  When my pie came out it did not have a lot of char on the top but it was lightly charred on the bottom and very consistant.  I found it better than Amano for the char taste because of this, but I loved both places.  My only complaint would be more basil. We also had the table salad and that was very good. Sorry I did not take better full shots of the slices but you should get the idea from these.  Overall, I would definitely look forward to a return visit.

The funny thing is that the same restaurant group that created this place also did Naples 45 in New York.  http://www.patinagroup.com/restaurants.php
If you look at Peter Taylor's review of 45 you will basically see the same pie as I am posting, so I suggest you try their pie if you are in the area.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2924.0.html 
I can tell you that the ovens were hot and you could feel them 30 feet away.  I did not time any.

Bob

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Re: Via Napoli at Epcot
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 07:12:49 PM »
Finally, a reason to take my kid to Disneyworld.  I was there in the early 80's and absolutely hated it.  Glad to hear it's gotten better.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 09:21:16 AM »
I was there in Feb. 2011. I loved the look of the ovens and how they were named after famous Mediterranean volcanos. The pizza was just a little better than just ok for me. I thought the crust was a little tough and bland. The rest was fine. I think I got the 3 meat pie. IIRC it was kind of expensive, almost $50 for a pizza, table salad and a couple iced teas. But hey, it's Disney, right?
 I also went to Peter Taylors place in Tampa on that trip. We had three much better pies there, and Peter was a most gracious host.

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 09:17:27 AM »
Heading to Disney this October.  Looks like I am going to Italy to eat   :D :pizza:  Just wondering if they are going to have smaller portions since it will be the Food & Wine festival.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 09:27:04 AM »
Heading to Disney this October.  Looks like I am going to Italy to eat   :D :pizza:  Just wondering if they are going to have smaller portions since it will be the Food & Wine festival.

I doubt it.  I am sure they want to make the money per seating and that would probably cut down on the profit.  The plain pie is $28 so between three people it's not that bad for in park.  I think Ev's pie was much higher because of all the toppings.  Let us know what you find.

Bob

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2012, 09:40:32 AM »
I doubt it.  I am sure they want to make the money per seating and that would probably cut down on the profit.  The plain pie is $28 so between three people it's not that bad for in park.  I think Ev's pie was much higher because of all the toppings.  Let us know what you find.

Bob

Bob,
I checked the info on the food and wine vendors and you are right, they don't have them outside with a little stand (atleast so far) so I made reservations for the wife and I.  Already hungry just thinking about it!    ;D  I will let everyone know about it after the trip.
tom