Author Topic: Papa Johns?  (Read 10326 times)

Offline buzz

Papa Johns?
« on: October 19, 2005, 10:24:24 AM »
I've never had a Papa John's pizza, but lately they've been advertising their new pan pizza, which kind of makes me want to try it. What is the general consensus on the quality/taste of PJ's?

Offline Brandon

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Papa Johns?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2005, 12:44:45 PM »
I've not tried their deep dish pizza, but their regular pizza is my favorite of all the big chains by far.  Their crust is perfect.  I can get pretty close to replicating it with Randy's American recipie and KASL.

Offline buzz

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 10:28:29 AM »
Thanks--maybe I'll give it a shot. It's not like Domino's, is it?

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2005, 12:02:21 PM »
I tried Papa John's after reading on the forum that they had much better dough management and ingredients than most of the other chains.  I found it to be a step up from domino's, but unfortunately it was still quite similar. 

Offline luke

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2005, 06:43:33 PM »
The commercials suckered me in, and I tried one of the new deep dish pizza's from Papa John's.  Don't waste your money.  While I do think that Papa John's hand tossed is the best of the big chain's, the deep dish is utterly disgusting.  The crust was greasy, and not in a good way -- it tasted like cheap vegetable oil to me.  The sauce also left a lot to be desired, and IMO is a big step down from Papa John's regular sauce (which is decent)

Offline buzz

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 08:45:11 AM »
Thanks for the input--I asked a couple of people around here and got negative reviews, so I guess I'll stay away!

Offline Phillup

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 04:16:11 AM »
I worked at Papa Johns for 5 years, in 14 different stores.   If you haven't tried their large handtossed you should, but never order their ex-large pies.   They also have really good cheese sticks.  Its not bad for fast food pizza. 

I really enjoyed slapping and spinning dough while working for PJ's.   Can anyone recommend a dough recipe that yields a dough that is pliable enough to be slapped and spun?

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2005, 01:40:34 PM »
Here's a good post by Tom Lehmann:

I've had PJ's pizza a number of times and for the life of me, I can't see where there is anything really unusual or outstanding about it. It's just a plain old, well fermented, typical pizza dough that bakes up into a good tasting (fermented flavor) crust. Take a look in the RECIPE BANK for my regular thin crust dough formula. Modify the dough management procedure slightly by reducing the targer finished dough temperature to 75-80F, then allow the dough to remain in the cooler for two days rather than the recommended one day before using it. The dough should still be good to go for another three days (but I only recommend two days) after you get into it. I have found this to come pretty close to the PJ's crust. The formula doesn't look anything even remotely like the one posted the other day.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2005, 01:43:23 PM »
The recipe he's referring to is:

Traditional, American Style, Thin Crust Pizza

Ingredients:
Flour(a strong bread type flour with 12 to 13% protein) 100.00%
Salt:1.75%
Sugar:(optional) 2.00%

Compressed Yeast: 1.50%
Olive Oil/Vegetable Oil: 3.00%
Water (70 to 75F) 55 to 58.00%

How to Prepare:

Standard Dough Making Procedure:Put water into the mixing bowl, add the salt and sugar, then add the flour and the yeast. Mix at low speed for about 2 minutes, then mix at medium speed until all of the flour has been picked up into the dough. Now add the oil and mix in for 2 minutes at low speed, then mix the dough at medium speed until it develops a smooth, satiny appearance (generally about 8 to 10 minutes using a planetary mixer). The dough temperature should be between 80 and 85F. Immediately divide the dough into desired weight pieces and round into balls. Wipe the dough balls with salad oil, and place into plastic dough boxes. Make sure that the dough balls are spaced about 2 inches apart. Cross stack the uncovered dough boxes in the cooler for 2 hours as this will allow the dough balls to cool down thoroughly, and uniformly. The dough boxes can then be nested, with the top box being covered. This will prevent excessive drying of the dough balls.The dough balls will be ready to use after about 12 hours of refrigeration. They can be used after up to 72 hours of refrigeration with good results. To use the dough balls, remove a quantity from the cooler and allow them to warm at room temperature for approximately 2-3 hours. The dough can then be shaped into skins, or shaped into pans for proofing. Unused dough can remain at room temperature (covered to prevent drying) for up to 6 hours after removal from the cooler.Note: If using ACTIVE DRY YEAST (ADY) only half the amo0unt as compressed yeast. Then suspend the ADY in a small quantity of warm water (105 110F) and allow it to stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Add this to the water in the mixing bowl, but do not add the salt and sugar to the water, instead, add the salt and sugar to the flour, then begin mixing as directed.If using INSTANT DRY YEAST (IDY) us only 1/3 the amount as compressed yeast. Add the IDY to the flour along with the salt and sugar, and begin mixing as directed.
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline Iceman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 12:14:38 AM »
I'm not saying, I'm just saying. To each their own. I just don't seem to get any attraction to Papa John's or any other chain places like Domino's or Pizza Hut. As a matter of fact, I have a hard time even calling that type of food product pizza. I'm sorry if this sounds at all offensive. I'm just sorta cooling down after two(2) busy days.
It is better to eat pizza with friends than to eat sprouts alone.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 05:47:38 AM »
Not bad for delivery pizza.  Not great, but definitely not bad.  I like the small container of sauce that they throw in with the pizza box.

Offline stevenmhinde

• MMMM.....HAPPY JOES PEPPERONI
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 05:04:34 PM »
IMHO, as far as delivery/fast food pizza is concerned, PJ's can be pretty decent at times but it seems the last 3 or 4 times I've ordered from them it has been subpar, at best.  I don't plan on ordering from them again any time soon-if at all.

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 08:28:34 AM »
Their newer 'pan pizza' is not good at all and advise you stay away from it. There's something about the new crust and new sauce that turned me off. I lived on their regular pizza in college and it's okay but it's still a chain and consistency is still an issue as with all chains. Personally I think they are overpriced. I can get a medium one topping pizza at my favorite family owned pizzeria for the same price as a large one topping chain pizza, both are just as filling and the family owned pizzeria justs tastes better. My two cents.......

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 08:34:51 AM »
In my opinion, this is below domino's and pizza hut. Really rock bottom.

Offline Kidder

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 09:48:09 AM »
In my opinion, this is below domino's and pizza hut. Really rock bottom.

Off topic.....but your pizza looks really really good. Kudos to you for writing that guide. Awesome looking pies.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 10:09:08 AM »

pizzapan