Author Topic: Mozzarella cheese in a carton??/  (Read 1834 times)

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
Mozzarella cheese in a carton??/
« on: October 19, 2005, 12:24:14 PM »
I ate at a pizza place yesterday with a friend and I noticed they were using shredded mozzarella cheese that came out of a "milk carton" type container. I was wondering if anyone here had ever seen moz cheese that came in a container like that. I was thinking it would be horrible but it was good.  go figggurrrrr  ??? ??? ???

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Mozzarella cheese in a carton??/
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2005, 12:12:17 AM »
sounds like something I must try!   did you notice a brand name?

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2005, 10:06:38 AM »
Hi Scott,
  It was too far away from me to see the label clearly (there was a label)when he took it out of the frig but I will keep looking. I could see it was written in script which makes it more difficult to read from a distance..maybe I'll go to the counter to get some extra peppers etc.,,,the next time I go in there. I was pretty shocked to see it but th texture/taste was similar to Grande. That's why I was surprised it was in a carton.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 12:00:34 PM »
scampi, I asked on of the foodservice guys I deal with about the cheese and he has never heard of it.  You know, sometimes just starting up a conversation with the pizzamaker about your hobby can lead to finding out secrets that you would never think they would reveal.  You might just try asking!  Also, do me a favor, if that does not work let me know what city you are in, as I might do a little sleuthing on my own.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2005, 12:07:13 PM »
Some pizza operators use attachments on their Hobarts to shred their own cheese. Maybe that is what happened, and a milk carton type container was used to hold the shredded cheese. With experience, you would get to know how far in the container to dip your hand to scoop out just the right amount of cheese. It's also possible, I suppose, that the pizza operator just transferred cheese from one container to the milk-type container, for convenience.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 12:24:07 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2005, 04:44:22 PM »
Laticini used to do Baffala  in a milk type carton.Here is the link to a very old press article regarding this :
http://www.lionimozzarella.com/htm/pages/press/nymagazine.cfm
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2005, 07:04:43 PM »
David

That Mozzarella from Monfragone is Mandara's. It is packed in Tetrapack containers and it is available like that at Naples' Capodichino Airport ready to go...

Ciao

Offline scampi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2005, 02:55:12 PM »
Scott, I'm in Irvine Cal. I will probably go back inthe next week and keep my eyes open. The carton had "script" writing on it so I couldn't make it out from a distance. I believe you guys when you say the food service people have never seen it because neither have I. I'll keep you posted.

pizzapan