Author Topic: Noob question about chicago style thin crust dough  (Read 1135 times)

Offline DigitalBathing

• I Love Pizza!
Noob question about chicago style thin crust dough
« on: June 10, 2013, 02:04:16 PM »
I'm looking to find out what kind of dough ration/recipe to use for a Chicago/Sicilian type thin crust pie. Would also love to know what type of flour would be best, what kind of yeast (IDY/ADY/Etc..), fermentation/proofing details and really anything else I should/need to know. I've made pizza for a few years now but have never handled the dough making duties and am looking to start my own shop and would love some help/advice/suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Offline DigitalBathing

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Noob question about chicago style thin crust dough
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 02:08:03 PM »
Should also probably mention I will be using stone ovens.

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2013, 04:45:07 PM »
There's a section of the forum entitled "Chicago Style", that's a good place to start.

Offline CDNpielover

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 01:58:19 PM »
You can find a list of Chicago-style thin crust dough formulas here: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,16422.0.html

I would recommend Garvey's Pizza Factory clone: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17662.msg171274.html#msg171274

but a couple of Pete-zza's formulations are great as well:

Vito and Nick's clone: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6368.msg117149.html#msg117149
Pete-zza's Monical's clone: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,600.msg53313.html#msg53313

I'm sure many of the others there are great as well, but I haven't tried them all!

Offline pizza is love

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 09:12:24 PM »
I 2nd Garvey's!!!! my daughter and I just killed one a few minutes ago

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 04:24:15 PM »
I'm looking to find out what kind of dough ration/recipe to use for a Chicago/Sicilian type thin crust pie. Would also love to know what type of flour would be best, what kind of yeast (IDY/ADY/Etc..), fermentation/proofing details and really anything else I should/need to know. I've made pizza for a few years now but have never handled the dough making duties and am looking to start my own shop and would love some help/advice/suggestions. Thanks in advance!
What is a Chicago/Sicilian pie?   Maybe just a terminology issue here...name a popular Chicago pizza joint that makes the type of pie you like best.

Bob
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline redox

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 05:52:41 PM »
Garvey's Pizza Factory clone is a work of sheer pizza genius! It is my favorite so far.  :drool:

Offline redox

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 06:52:20 PM »
You seemed so interested 18 days ago. I hope you didn't get your big toe stuck in the faucet of your Digital Bathtub.  :D

Offline mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 07:43:34 PM »
"You seemed so interested 18 days ago. I hope you didn't get your big toe stuck in the faucet of your Digital Bathtub.  (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/Smileys/enhanced/cheesy.gif)"

:-D :-D :-D :-D
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 07:59:33 PM »
I've commented, even started a thread about these kinds of posts before. Noob signs in, posts their greeting post and then wants to know EVERYTHING about something without expending any effort on their own part. And then they dissappear! :-\

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 08:24:16 PM »
Maybe it would be better if we just went over to their house and made them pizza.

pizzapan