Author Topic: LBE / Ketle Pizza Combo  (Read 1094 times)

Offline FVG

• I Love Pizza!
LBE / Ketle Pizza Combo
« on: July 29, 2012, 02:24:41 PM »
Been experimenting with using the LBE with the Kettle Pizza Insert using both the gas burner and some wood for the last few weeks. My original post was under the LBE section of the forum:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4753.msg196332.html#msg196332

Set up this time was similar to my first attempt but strove to get the temperatures down a bit more for a longer bake with a NY style dough recipe. Previous attempts got me a bottom stone temperature of 625 and a top stone temperature of 750. This time around I got the bottom stone to around 550 and the top stone to around 650. Finding that the gas burner needs to be lowered before the desired temperatures are reached or it will go over before the top stone has a chance to heat up. Once the temperatures are reached the gas burner stays fairly low and uses just a small amount of wood. Bake times were in the 7 minute range.

While the Kettle Pizza Insert works OK out of the box with some fairly simple mods it works quite well. The combination of gas and wood balanced the temperatures very nicely and as with the previous attempts I get even cooking between the top and bottom of the pie.

buceriasdon

Re: LBE / Ketle Pizza Combo
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 03:07:16 PM »
Nice looking "American Style" pizza. Very ingenious adaptation. ;D
Don

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 05:35:50 PM »
Going by the pics, especially the ronis, it looks like you are not getting as much top heat to the center as the sides.  Have you considered adding a baffle to the grill to force the hot air down in the center?  This could take the shape of a metal dowel that goes through both sides with a flat "flag" attached to the center.  Adjustable by turning the dowel.

Also, I'm curious how you add wood when it's hot.  Do you just shove it in the front and let it drop into the basket, or do you lift off the KPI?

I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline FVG

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 07:10:46 PM »
For adding wood I just slide it across the bottom stone and push in in the into the basket - much easier than lifting the Kettle. Since I am only adding small pieces that works well. While the KPI can be lifted and I have done that when running only wood if I can avoid it I do.

Have not yet tried any baffling yet- interesting idea to have it moveable so  you adjust as needed while cooking. Looks like a good experiment to look at in the coming weeks.

pizzapan