Author Topic: Has anyone tried exotic meats??  (Read 3089 times)

Offline pizzaoven dot com

Has anyone tried exotic meats??
« on: July 30, 2012, 09:05:57 AM »
I am debating on ordering some exotic meat specifically Zebra to put on a pizza. I read an article about a guy who runs a pizza joint in the UK that who serves all types of exotic pies. It said that he ordered from Kezie Foods http://www.keziefoods.co.uk/Catalogue/Exotic-Meats, however, they don't deliver to the states.

Anyone gone wild in the states? Who did you use?? I have eaten buffalo and Elk before I'm a littler nervous about Zebra meat though.  I will say that the cut that is shown on Kenzie looks pretty damn good
Christina Koller

Offline atom

Re: Has anyone tried exotic meats??
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 09:13:11 AM »
I would try it if I came across some meats. I have had buffalo before and it is quite delicious! I could see some joint opening up charging people way too much money to eat these wierd things on a pizza...

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 02:44:36 PM »
I would think you could find sausage made from different exotic meats. That might go well on pizza.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 02:53:52 PM »
I tried moose tenderloin with pesto, trumpet mushrooms and leeks... stupendous! It was a cast iron bake @ 425. haven't done too many in the cast iron, but it really was delicious. i also tried wild boar medallions, but don't remember the flavor combination.

Zebra!? that is indeed exotic. I'd love to hear about the results if you go for it.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 05:45:53 PM »
I can hook you up with some Golden Retriever or Black Lab if you like. :(

Italians eat Donkey, the Swiss love their horse. Aussies like the meat off the kangaroo tail. Croc is good down south. Buffalo is  easy to get now in the Midwest. Chinese also like their 4 pound toads. (and anything else that moves.) Goat is the most consumed animal on the planet.

Which market are you looking to baffle?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 08:30:57 PM »

That's not even funny.   :'(
Pizza is not bread.

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 10:30:46 PM »

Italians eat Donkey, the Swiss love their horse. Aussies like the meat off the kangaroo tail. Croc is good down south. Buffalo is  easy to get now in the Midwest. Chinese also like their 4 pound toads. (and anything else that moves.) Goat is the most consumed animal on the planet.

Which market are you looking to baffle?

That is so gross!! I draw the line at dog! I found some Kangaroo meat I can get easily, as well as, crocodile. The Zebra meat is hard to get in the states.
Christina Koller

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 10:34:56 PM »
I tried moose tenderloin with pesto, trumpet mushrooms and leeks... stupendous! It was a cast iron bake @ 425. haven't done too many in the cast iron, but it really was delicious. i also tried wild boar medallions, but don't remember the flavor combination.

Zebra!? that is indeed exotic. I'd love to hear about the results if you go for it.

Baking a Chicago style deep dish zebra pizza would be awesome. I think Zebra meat maybe impossible! I have found a local grocery store that carries Kangaroo, crocodile, buffalo, boar, moose, elk, and some other wild crap he rattled off on the phone.

I am up between the croc and the kangaroo. I was thinking if I went with the croc I could do like a mango based pizza sauce. The kangaroo would probably be a tomato based sauce.
Christina Koller

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 01:49:39 AM »
I used to live near this place, that says they ship- http://www.czimers.com/home.html
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 03:28:22 PM »
I used to live near this place, that says they ship- http://www.czimers.com/home.html

Site looks good that the same type of meat I can get locally. I do like the jerkey selection.
Christina Koller

Offline atom

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 08:19:14 AM »
Goat is the most consumed animal on the planet.

Oh yeah, I had tons of goat in Afghanistan! The goat burgers they had were better then anything you would get at a fast food joint in America, aside from the oncoming dysentery. Goat ka'babs were quite common as well. I also had pizza there, but it was so gross it wasn't even edible. Rock hard crust, and instead of sauce they use ketchup! You would see some cows out there too so who knows what kind of cheese it was.

Offline SinoChef

• Not delivery ha ....OMG you.... Digiornoed me
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 05:09:05 PM »
That's not even funny.   :'(

Was not going for funny, just my reality here. Off the cuff, flippant remark. Maybe better saved for the expat forums here. But it is a reality. They have about the same compassion you do for taking the back end of a blade to your catch of the days head, so it quits flopping around.

Oh yeah, I had tons of goat in Afghanistan! The goat burgers they had were better then anything you would get at a fast food joint in America, aside from the oncoming dysentery. Goat ka'babs were quite common as well.

The Muslim Chinese do thee most amazing kebobs here. Just.........Damn! Caramelized fat with stank ass goat.

Also most ,if not all kebob stands are selling big sacks of hash. ;D. Their clientele are mostly foreigners for the hash. Which takes me about 10 minutes to explain..."No,no  I am really here for the food, put the drugs away man".

(They do shoot people here, you know, dead....... for possession)

Sorry pizzaoven, my original post was just trying to say, "One mans moose, is another mans kangaroo". I have never had "roo" meat, and my Aussie friends have never had white tail deer. I would love to try it, as they get excited about describing how to cook it correctly.

Living in China, if it moves, and you can put a skewer through it, its on the BBQ.

How about poached veal sweat breads with Camembert? Or some other soft and stinky cheese? Make a paste out of it, and spread it out for a sauce base? Poach your tomatoes in Pernod. Go all 3 star on people.

Just a thought
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:10:52 PM by SinoChef »

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 06:10:59 PM »
If you want to get your goat on, try this next time you are in Chicago
The chef, Stephanie Izard was the Top chef winner a few years ago
In a town of great restaurants, this is one of the hardest reservations and one of the best meals I've had.
Small plates and very casual, and just wonderful.

http://www.girlandthegoat.com/

IMHO, Goat has the flavor and moistness to stand up on a pizza.

From what the web site says about zebra, it sounds a lot like ostrich....very, very lean and needs to be served rare to have a chance.
That, and Wilbur would be very upset if you ate Mr. Ed.

http://www.snopes.com/lost/mistered.asp
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 06:17:07 PM by pizzaboyfan »

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 12:33:53 PM »
If you want to get your goat on, try this next time you are in Chicago
The chef, Stephanie Izard was the Top chef winner a few years ago
In a town of great restaurants, this is one of the hardest reservations and one of the best meals I've had.
Small plates and very casual, and just wonderful.

http://www.girlandthegoat.com/

IMHO, Goat has the flavor and moistness to stand up on a pizza.

From what the web site says about zebra, it sounds a lot like ostrich....very, very lean and needs to be served rare to have a chance.
That, and Wilbur would be very upset if you ate Mr. Ed.

http://www.snopes.com/lost/mistered.asp

HAHA!! The Zebra was a no go and I was bummed!! :( I could not get it sent to me. I did go look at Kangaroo and attempted to make a pizza but it turned out really bad... I mean really really bad! I don't know if I over cooked the meat or what but it was like having chunks of rubber on the pizza. I am looking into better ways to cook it now.

SIDENOTE: When you watch someone eat pizza with rubber meat chunks the facial expressions are priceless!!

Christina Koller

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 03:22:40 PM »
If you really want to go out on a limb, go to the web site for Exotic Meats USA, they have a wide assortment of just about anything that moves, or moved, and might be considered edible (and it's all legally farmed). Caution: Just two weeks ago a restaurant in Wichita, Kansas was planning to offer lion meat on the menu for a special dinner treat, but the idea was shot down by a bunch of animal lovers. I love animals to.....medium well please!
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 08:25:10 AM »
Iguanas are apparently taking over in Puerto Rico.  What to do? Eat them!
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444900304577580053253903354.html?mod=googlenews_wsj#articleTabs=article

One potentially interested iguana buyer is Anshu Pathak, owner of Perris, Calif.-based Exotic Meat Market, which sells everything from antelope to zebra meat. He says there is a healthy appetite for iguana meat in the U.S., especially among Latin American and Asian immigrant groups.

"I sell every iguana I get," he says. He touts the animal's supposed aphrodisiac qualities to potential buyers, he says. "Sex is my main selling point," he says. "Everybody likes sex, right? So please eat my iguanas."
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

buceriasdon

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 09:04:40 AM »
Parts of Florida have also become overun with iguana. I've had it twice here in Mexico, once in pozole another time in tacos. More chewy than chicken but a tad more flavorful but if I didn't know what it was I'd think it was tough chicken.
Don