Author Topic: Texas Pizza Summit  (Read 10876 times)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: Texas Pizza Summit
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2012, 07:38:20 PM »
Well, I'll answer for me.  I am not a Neapolitan guy, and his pizzas were freakishly good. I mean good that transcends style, it stands alone as a wonderful food. The mushroom was my favorite, followed by the sausage/rabe pie.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2012, 07:43:47 PM »
Gene, is this your first time tasting Craig's pies? How do they compare to the other Neapolitan places you've been to? Does their vastly superior appearance translate into a vastly superior taste?
Yes.
As my taste evolves, I consider Neapolitan probably the most difficult to "reproduce" "properly".  There is just to much to it from beginning to end. It is not magic, it is just a style.  I don't really associate appearance and taste. (in a strict sense)  You could make a crappy looking pizza that taste pretty good, and a beautiful pizza that taste crappy.  Put them both together and you have something above the norm.

Even though I am new to Neo. and making pizza; I would put Craig's pizza up against anything that I have had.(Not in a production mode, but taste for taste) it is just simply good.  I think we had 3 new creations, they were very tasty, also. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2012, 07:55:08 PM »
I thought about the summit a couple times this weekend.
Man!, I wish I could have been there. :'(
I'm honored at least to have been invited. :D

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2012, 08:13:26 PM »
I'm honored to have been asked to do the design for the shirts, as well as be invited.  I'm happy with how the design came out, and proud to have been a (distant) part of the event.

Hey Ev, if we can't make it next year either, how would you feel about hosting the Midatlantic Pizza Summit?  Need a WFO and someone who can make it sing, and you're the guy around here!

Only change I'd request is that it take place during the fall - better camping and WFO weather!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 08:17:32 PM by pizzaneer »
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2012, 08:24:26 PM »

Craig, were you nervous at all about cooking for the 'big guns'? Am I missing something, but is 63% hydration new? Are you trying to chase some of that Cane texture?  And, if so, did you succeed? I didn't mention it in the Cane thread, buy in my experience, as the water increases, generally speaking, the tenderness decreases.

I was a bit anxious in the days before, but by the time I started baking I was in the groove. The dough looked good, and the oven was HOT, so I knew I was in good shape.

63% is new, and yes, my lunch at Cane Rosso did inspire me to push it up a touch (Id been at 61.5%).  I did 63% last weekend and I liked it, so I made it again for the Summit. It was very tender. On further reflection, I think my crust is as tender as Jays. What is different is I have a thin crispy shell where his really didnt. Again, very different crusts both very good.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2012, 08:25:03 PM »
You guys are all too kind.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2012, 08:28:51 PM »
I'm honored to have been asked to do the design for the shirts, as well as be invited.  I'm happy with how the design came out, and proud to have been a (distant) part of the event.

Hey Ev, if we can't make it next year either, how would you feel about hosting the Midatlantic Pizza Summit?  Need a WFO and someone who can make it sing, and you're the guy around here!

Only change I'd request is that it take place during the fall - better camping and WFO weather!

You did a great job on the shirt! Thank you!
Pizza is not bread.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2012, 08:42:33 PM »
Peter, where are you on Neapolitan pizza?  Ready to go WFO shopping?  ;D

scott123,

I live in a zero lot line neighborhood where back yards are very small. It is also possible that the association would not permit a wood fired oven. I almost never see any of my neighbors doing even the most basic backyard grilling, although I am pretty certain that there are no restrictions against it. Maybe it is because most of my neighbors are single working people or retirees. And no children.

I thought that Craig did a masterful job of making the Neapolitan pizzas, and he did it effortlessly. The pizzas themselves were truly outstanding. It would be easy to fall in love with Craig's pizzas. They are almost like a new food group.

Peter

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2012, 09:18:33 PM »
It would be easy to fall in love with Craig's pizzas. They are almost like a new food group

Just. Wow.

I need a drool towel. -k
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2012, 10:12:45 PM »
I'll secong the WOW!! and The Jealousy factor is quite high as well!! The Garage is now  on my Bucket list !  ;D The wines!  fuggetaboutit! worth a ticket for sure . Wish I could have been there. I will be  out in Salt lake end of August for a full week  if anyone has an itching for a " great salt lake summit " just let me know. The pies look Fantastic as allways and I am also wiping up the drool also Kelly! Nice gig guys!!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline future_itisnow

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2012, 10:39:01 PM »
Missing this gathering may go down as one of my bigger regrets of 2012.   If the rest of the crew is as laid back and friendly as Tscarborough is (and I'm pretty sure they are judging from the banter on here) than you couldn't ask for a better get together.   The pics of those pies speak for themselves, and as always Craig turns out some of the best looking WFO crusts I have seen.   

My question is, would you do it again and if so when?  If you guys will have me out next time I'd throw my Detroit Style into the ring and possibly a Roman pie as well...whatever it takes to get my hands on a well made Neo.  :D

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2012, 10:42:36 PM »
My question is, would you do it again and if so when? 

Yes. For sure. And, we don't need to wait a whole year either.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2012, 11:07:16 PM »

Definitely not out of the question. Fall is just around the corner after all.
 I'm not sure I deserve that much credit though, but thanks! :P

Offline MightyPizzaOven

• Supporting Member
    • Mighty Pizza Oven .com
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2012, 07:45:17 AM »
Amazing looking pies... great job on the t-shirt design and wine selection...

And thank you for taking the time to test MPO...
Bert,

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2012, 11:33:34 PM »
Gene, what are you, some kinda rock star diva? It seems that you are changing shirts more than the outfit changes at a Madonna concert.  ;D

Remember that Craig is on Tulsa time.  I was there for three days, and I wasn't responsible for keeping things straight.  Kinda like a DDD video, most things are scrambled.  One thing that was not scrambled was the pizza/Canadian bloody marry (Ceasar) with Clamato/ more Ceasar's and Tom's pizza for breakfast on Sunday morning.  Tom makes an excellent pie anytime I am sure, but for me, just when I needed it.  Kelly, you missed the sh@@, I hope to meet again.  Did I mention that Craig had a fresh batch of Lemoncello?  It was very "hot" like take your breath away and eat the enamel off your teeth, maybe he could bottle the stuff for a bathroom cleaner also. :-D :chef: :pizza:

Offline ringkingpin

« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2012, 11:40:24 PM »
the pizzas from the mighty look nice!
"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
 Brillat-Savarin

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2012, 11:51:40 PM »
the pizzas from the mighty look nice!
Well.....the Mighty had some pretty mighty operators....but even then.... ::)
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #57 on: July 31, 2012, 11:54:23 PM »
looks like it was a wonderful get together. the pizza and vino look like nothing but top shelf.i now know the garage is a shrine to get pete-zza to show his mug. craig, it won't be long and the garage will be the next pm.com to go public. that shirt has you potential logo, your mascot is a crowed pleaser and your pies are works of art. when are you giving up the day job???

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2012, 10:41:44 AM »
Last call on t-shirts. PM me. ;D :chef:

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2012, 06:19:37 PM »
It's great to see everyone getting together to share pies and learn  Those pizzas look like works of art.

Dave 

pizzapan