Author Topic: Pizza Garagista - TX pizza night!  (Read 1760 times)

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
Pizza Garagista - TX pizza night!
« on: July 30, 2012, 09:58:57 AM »
since i've been determined to raise my pizza game from very basic to authentic neapolitan, i've paid close attention to TXCraig's amazing body of work on this site.  i was recently invited to meet the master and sneak a peek behind the curtain in the pizza garage.  i must say, it was all i hoped it would be.  i left with a whole new list of things to work on.  i also got to meet some great like minded people - and people are what pizza night is all about!  i took a few photos, enjoy!
thanks Craig,
bill

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
Re: Pizza Garagista - TX pizza night!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 10:03:03 AM »
 i never knew 25 year-old first growths went so well with pizza!  that only made the night that much more special.  these were bucket list wines.  they clearly know how to do things right in Texas. 
thanks Pete!

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 10:10:32 AM »
Great photos!  What wines!  Not to mention Craig's pizzas.  Very jealous! Thanks for posting those.  Love the photo of the Acunto oven.  

Regards,

TinRoof
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 10:12:44 AM by tinroofrusted »

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 10:11:18 AM »
craig even let me sit behind the wheel a couple of times.  the acunto is a sweet oven, so soft yet powerful.  craig has the management worked out really well with long warm up and deeply saturated heat.  i made a delevecchia calzone as we talked about john and how we wished he could have been there.
cheers!
bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 11:03:59 AM »
Bill,

I am glad you got to meet the master and get a peak behind the curtain of the pizza garage.  ;D I am also glad that you left with a whole new list of things to work on.

Great pictures!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 02:40:43 PM »
thanks Norma!  As you know well,  like most things that are difficult to master, pizza is all about the tiny details.  the first 95% is easy, the last 5% not so.  That's what makes it fun though.  the best way to work on the last 5% is to watch someone else who's closer to the goal.  i'm feeling really lucky to have spent some time with Craig, Pete, Tom and Gene.  now i can't wait to cook again.
bill

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 08:44:23 AM »
I noticed the pizzas were pre shaped on the table and air stretched a bit as well. Some have told me that the pizza should never leave the table and others have insisted that it is best to let gravity do most of the work. Do these methods impart differing textures to the finality of the pie??

Offline Kermit

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 08:59:44 AM »
Very nice looking pizzas  :) Looks like a fun evening.

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 12:13:01 PM »
 i made a delevecchia calzone....

And it hit the spot, very light and flavorful.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 12:30:24 PM »
And it hit the spot, very light and flavorful.

It was the first leftovers I ate!
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 03:59:37 PM »
I noticed the pizzas were pre shaped on the table and air stretched a bit as well. Some have told me that the pizza should never leave the table and others have insisted that it is best to let gravity do most of the work. Do these methods impart differing textures to the finality of the pie??

I'm not sure how you could stretch the doughs without picking them up off the table.  i've never tried to shape one without doing that.  Craig's doughs (and mine too) are very soft and open without much effort.  no real neaoplitan slap required. 

i'm cooking Sunday.  can't wait to try a couple of things.  I got some brussels sprouts, but i'm still holding off on the truffle oil ;D
bill

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 04:02:07 PM »
I'm not sure how you could stretch the doughs without picking them up off the table.  i've never tried to shape one without doing that.  Craig's doughs (and mine too) are very soft and open without much effort.  no real neaoplitan slap required. 

i'm cooking Sunday.  can't wait to try a couple of things.  I got some brussels sprouts, but i'm still holding off on the truffle oil ;D
bill

Did you like the mushroom pie with the white truffle oil?

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 04:04:15 PM »
still not sold on the truffle oil part.  it was a great pie but i think i can still taste the truffle oil a week later! 
that stuff is full strength.

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 10:11:23 AM »

You sort of have to use both hands and spin and stretch the dough. Then you slide the peel under the disk in one motion. If done correctly with the right kind of dough it is actually faster than the Neapolitan slap. Not that speed is the most important thing, but it is important sometimes.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 10:18:00 AM »
Paulie Gee calls it the Egyptian move. I've seen several other videos with a smiliar technique.

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/11/the-piemans-craft-paulie-gees-egyptian-move-pizza-dough-stretching-technique.html?ref=title

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 10:30:22 AM »
Ah, I just watched that video too, this one is called the DJ,

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/01/mark-bello-pizza-a-casa-how-to-stretch-pizza-dough-dj-method.html?ref=title

Although I generally think it is best to never touch what you wish to become the cornicione.

I must admit to using gravity myself lately to help with the stretching  ;D

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 10:59:56 AM »
In Naples, Paolo from pizzeria mattozzi also called the DJ, he ask me if i used the DJ style to open the dough, so i said no i use the neapolitan slap, he said thank god!!.... it was funny.....
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci