Author Topic: WHAT IS ARTISAN PIZZA? Has anyone made this Sauce??  (Read 7344 times)

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
WHAT IS ARTISAN PIZZA? Has anyone made this Sauce??
« on: July 30, 2012, 01:05:28 PM »
I am listing this topic in the sauce section because Artisan Pizza sauce seems so basic, but has anyone tried to make it before?? There is a restaurant in town that advertises that this is the style of pizza that they make. I had to google this to understand what it is. i am providing a paragraph from the article that explains the sauce. Has anyone ate this kind of pizza before and has anyone ever made this kind of sauce??? Thank you.

WHAT IS ARTISAN PIZZA?
The pizza arrives still steaming from the wood burning oven. The crust is super thin, with a black blistered crown, it is chewy and crisp all at once. The aroma of garlic and basil is dreamy. The soft, milky richness of the mozzarella yields to the sweet and sour finish of a fine sauce made from tomatoes, a touch of oregano, marjoram and good olive oil. The sausage is spicy but not too much, sweet but just a little, juicy and full of flavor with a licorice hint of fennel seed. Vibrant sweet peppers play against the bitterness of chopped broccoli rabe. Each bites sings. Each ingredient tastes so much like what it is. The flavors, so well balanced that even the subtle sour of the dough comes through. The textures are a riot of soft, crisp and everything in-between. Even if you didnít know that the fennel sausage is made from scratch with a Berkshire breed of naturally raised pork. Even if you couldnít care less that the tomatoes, the herbs, the peppers and the broccoli rabe are all grown locally. Even if I never told you that the dough is made with a biga that ferments for twentyĖfour hours, you would nevertheless know that what you just ate was marvelously delicious. Just maybe the best pizza youíve ever had. This, my friends, is Artisan Pizza!

Offline rcbaughn

• Supporting Member
  • Love my pup and pizza!
    • My Facebook
Re: WHAT IS ARTISAN PIZZA? Has anyone made this Sauce??
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 09:48:13 PM »
Artisan is a word that is typically overused if you ask me, anything homemade can be claimed as "artisan." But that type of sauce sounds like any other cooked or uncooked sauce that I have seen on the site, no ingredients that are out of the norm. Sounds pretty generic.
More is better..... and too much is just right.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 10:12:24 PM »
Tom,

A few years ago, Evelyne Slomon, the author of The Pizza Book, discussed her views on what an artisan pizza is or should be, at Reply 606 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,576.msg41054/topicseen.html#msg41054. Previously, at Reply 20 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3443.msg29398.html#msg29398, she had bemoaned the possibility that a big pizza chain would come up with a pizza that would be called an Artisan pizza. That came to pass when Round Table came up with its New Artisan Pepperoni pizza, as shown at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3797.msg31646.html#msg31646. A while back, Domino's started selling its own versions of "Artisan" pizzas.

I believe that Cory is right. The word "Artisan" can be twisted and turned to mean just about anything.

Peter

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 10:21:48 PM »
An "artisan" pizza is one made up of the same basic ingredients as a standard pizza, baked in any one of several different types of ovens like a standard pizza, is consumed, digested, and excreted like a standard pizza but then, you end up paying four times as much compared to a standard pizza.   ;D

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »
An "artisan" pizza is one made up of the same basic ingredients as a standard pizza, baked in any one of several different types of ovens like a standard pizza, is consumed, digested, and excreted like a standard pizza but then, you end up paying four times as much compared to a standard pizza.   ;D

Also if you get it to go, it comes in a light tan box with a picture of a brick rather than the white box with red lettering.  ; :-D

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:49:30 AM »
Artisan is a word that is typically overused if you ask me...

Agreed, but I'll go so far as to say 'artisan' is nothing but a marketing term, used by makers of bad pizza to trick consumers into thinking their bad pizza is something special. Much like 'gourmet.'

EDIT: ...which I guess is pretty much what everyone else has already said, now that I've read the other responses.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 10:52:54 AM by AimlessRyan »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 11:02:05 AM »
By the way, that paragraph makes me wanna puke. Please don't give them any of your money.

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 11:36:18 AM »
I just caught something else in the paragraph you quoted.

WHAT IS ARTISAN PIZZA?
...The soft, milky richness of the mozzarella yields to the sweet and sour finish of a fine sauce made from tomatoes, a touch of oregano, marjoram and good olive oil...

For such a detail-heavy paragraph, they sure do leave out a lot of important details. Like brand and type of mozzarella. Same thing with tomatoes. I would expect to see words like 'Grande' or 'buffalo milk' or 'San Marzano' or 'Italian' in a piece of work like this. Those are some important details, y'know, even if the target customers don't know what any of it means.

But those words aren't there. And for a marketing paragraph that was obviously very well thought out, it's a big red flag for me to not see any of the terms I listed. Because that stuff is pretty good evidence that they're using substandard ingredients, and also that they really don't know what they're doing.

It's a scam, dude. That is, unless they use Pizzaiolo "tomatoes." But since they didn't list Pizzaiolo tomatoes specifically, I think it's safe to assume they use tomatoes that don't quite meet that standard.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 11:46:25 AM »
sauce made from tomatoes, a touch of oregano, marjoram and good olive oil.

My apologies to everyone, if I did not make my original posting very clear. I was trying to focus on the SAUCE. I was wondering if anyone else has used MARJORAM in their sauce. This is one spice that i have not used in pizza sauce. Also, the sauce for Artisan pizza, according to this article, seems very basic. I would have thought more should have gone into it.

buceriasdon

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 11:47:46 AM »
Actually that is is the first site listed for "define artisan pizza" in a google search.
http://howiesartisanpizza.com/media/What-ArtisanPizza_10.07.09.pdf
Tom, I would think a minimalist sauce with a quality crushed tomato would be in order.
Don
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:20:57 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 12:09:08 PM »
No apologies necessary. I know nothing about marjoram, but I think you're missing the point of some very useful feedback. It seems that you are mesmerized by the smoke and mirrors presented to you by pretenders, yet you brush off valid insight from people who really know what they're talking about.

If you want to know how marjoram affects sauce, put some marjoram in your sauce. It's that simple.

You seem to think complicated = better, but that's not true.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 01:41:48 PM »
I agree with you AimlessRyan. There are some really great replies with a lot of good information. I am aways on the search for a great pizza sauce. I try to learn from those who know more than me, so I throw out the questions often. (Even if they seem foolish to others)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 01:49:31 PM by TomN »

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 02:28:46 PM »
This clone recipe for Pan Pizza uses marjoram in the sauce if that helps answer your question, Tom, and as we all know, Pizza Hut is some major league artisan stuff right there!!!   ;)

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/525/Pizza_Hut_Original_Pan_Pizza41605.shtml   ;D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 02:36:37 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 03:34:29 PM »
The crust is super thin, with a black blistered crown, it is chewy and crisp all at once.
Sounds to me like they're trying to describe a NP pie except they want to put the catchy "Artisan" tag on it that more people are familiar with....bozo'$!!!

Marjoram an oregano...either or...pretty much interchangeable when making a sauce or topping a pizza,if you like that sort of thing.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 03:43:57 PM »
Sounds to me like they're trying to describe a NP pie except they want to put the catchy "Artisan" tag on it that more people are familiar with....bozo'$!!!

Marjoram an oregano...either or...pretty much interchangeable when making a sauce or topping a pizza,if you like that sort of thing.

Very closely related in the plant world, Bob, being of the same genus...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjoram

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregano   ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 03:56:41 PM »
Cool man....it's all good "herbage"....ten-fo?   8)

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 08:50:30 PM »
Artisan means created by an artist, usually translated to mean a craftsman.  The name means nothing in relation to quantitative factors, it is merely an adjective used too often to describe an item that the descriptor wants to be perceived to be above average in quality.

In short, if it is used to describe an object by a person with a vested interest in said object, it means nothing.  If used by an unbiased reviewer of said product it can be interpreted to mean an above average attention to detail and execution.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 10:12:41 PM »
I believe that in today's pizza world....Artisan means RUN!!!
It is a catch word that plays on the publics pseudo intelligentsia....and is being continually perpetuated in your grocers freezer case. This spectacle (the unbridled use of the word Artisan) may have even been borne by the clever people marketing food products. At least that's what I think cause they are the first line of what new food terminology we all see...then the restaurateurs pick up the ball an put it on our menu's. The longer the description of how many different "artisanal, local, blah, blah, blahs, etc. the more you know you gonna pay.
OK , sorry for the rant.

Bob

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2012, 09:13:27 AM »
The difference between marjoram and oregano, atleast to me, is the taste.  Marjoram is a milder version of oregano which I use when making kielbasi, or polish sausage.  When I make Italian sausage I use oregano for a more promounced flavor.  As for the artisan term, there is a restaurant I go to in Cape May New Jersey called the Mad Batter.  They have a pizza there (my brother told me about it so I had to try it) they call a "rustic" pizza made with carmelized onions, garlic, rosemary, asiago cheese and portabela mushroom; it is very good in my opinion.  But one time when I had it I was told it is an "artisan" pizza because it is made in a WFO.  I asked why the difference between the old oven and the WFO but got no answer.  My dad (when he was alive) said to him it was "old world style" because when he was a kid on the farm in europe all they used was a WFO and it reminded him of then.  So the term as others have said, and in my opinion also, is just a marketing tool to get people in the door since they have now become "artisits" when it comes to making their products.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 09:43:19 AM »
sauce made from tomatoes, a touch of oregano, marjoram and good olive oil.

My apologies to everyone, if I did not make my original posting very clear. I was trying to focus on the SAUCE. I was wondering if anyone else has used MARJORAM in their sauce. This is one spice that i have not used in pizza sauce. Also, the sauce for Artisan pizza, according to this article, seems very basic. I would have thought more should have gone into it.

Tom,

I donít know if you are interested, but I did use marjoram in Novemberís pizza sauce, in addition to a lot of other spices.  At Reply 20 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17013.msg165716.html#msg165716 is where I posted about comparing Novemberís herbs with the Classico product and 6-in-1s. This is the first post in the thread where the spice ingredients are listed.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17013.0.html

In my opinion Novemberís sauce with his spice selection is excellent.  :) Just to look at all those spices looks like there are too many, but really there arenít in my opinion.   

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!