Author Topic: Preferment Course 101  (Read 10774 times)

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Preferment Course 101
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2005, 12:38:39 PM »

Marco, when you say that the manitoba helps the dough "sitting on the counter for a long time" do you mean before or after the pie is cooked?

If it is before the pie is cooked, are you saying that the Manitoba gives the dough a larger window of usability?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2005, 07:05:02 PM by scott r »

Offline giotto

• Italy has DOC, we have NY standards.
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2005, 07:01:27 PM »
I'm aware that Caputo is mixed with Manitoba.  It's a soft wheat, which generally only goes up to 11%.  It's brought up closer to 12.5% protein through its pre-mix.  My statement regarding American bread flour referred to Reinhart's comment, which appeared in addition to the pre-mix of Caputo.  I don't remember Caputo being very good at long fermentations, so the mix may help here.

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2005, 07:12:33 PM »
The caputo flour are made by mixing different grains coming from all over the world. Some batches may contain no Manitoba flour but only a russian equivalent for strenght.

What do you mean by "I  don't remeber Caputo being very good at long fermentation???

Do you know the enzymatic activity of Caputo??? Well using caputo pizzeria with small amount of yeast can insure a risk free long fermentation.

It is something I always do in a professional environment and I do not add any Manitoba (the 100% pure Manitoba which is sold by Caputo or other mills).

Offline OzPizza

• Pizza Perfectionist from Oz!
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2005, 02:47:44 AM »
Okay, I have convinced myself that I will be making a starter soon ~ a known one to avoid troubles. How do you make a "dried starter culture". Thanks to everyone, great stuff.

By the way - no Caputo here in Oz, the closest I can get is Colavita Farina Di Grano Tenero Tipo "00". The only local producer of water buffalo mozzarella is from Shaw River Buffalo Cheese http://www.dmi.com.au/manufacturers/shaw_river.php which I am anxious to try it, even at $60.00A for 1.5 kg whoa. Luckily, it looks like I will be able to purchase some San Marzano Tomatoes seed from http://www.vilmorin.com.au/

Regards,

Wazza McG

Found some imported bufallo mozz today in a gourmet cheese shop not that far from where I live. Goes to show when you search around, it's amazing what we do get here in Oz. I never stop looking for things cause you never know who might be importing what(or about to start) and exactly who's going to stock it, especially in the case of specialized italian products. Can't find any canned San Marzano's yet, though my partner, who's of italian descent scoffs at why I'd have to have them over the rest of the canned italian roma tomato varities we get here..

Anyway, here's the cheese packet:

(http://img378.imageshack.us/img378/9817/dsc00010yj.jpg)
Founder of B.R.N.Y.P.O.Z. - The bring REAL NY pizza to Oz movement!

Offline Wazza McG

• Aussie Aussie Aussie .... Oi Oi Oi !!
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2005, 03:27:42 PM »
We have a bit of frozen buffalo mozzarella up here as well - does it thaw out okay and yummy on the pizzas?.  I am starting my preferment this week.  Our most flavoursome tomato is the Tommy Toe.

Regards,

Wazza McG
Fair Dinkum - you want more Pizza!  Crikey ! I've run out out them prawny thingymebobs again!

Offline OzPizza

• Pizza Perfectionist from Oz!
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2005, 02:24:56 AM »
We have a bit of frozen buffalo mozzarella up here as well - does it thaw out okay and yummy on the pizzas?.  I am starting my preferment this week.  Our most flavoursome tomato is the Tommy Toe.

Regards,

Wazza McG

Hi Wazza, as reported I literally just bought this cheese and I don't have any dough at the moment to try it with. I am also now in the  sourdo.com culture club. Mine arrived yesterday and we're up and running it looks good so far.
Founder of B.R.N.Y.P.O.Z. - The bring REAL NY pizza to Oz movement!

pizzapan