Author Topic: aurelio's pizza..  (Read 67616 times)

Offline BTB

Re: aurelio's pizza..
« Reply #180 on: February 13, 2012, 10:24:03 AM »
Hey Charlotte Sailor, good to hear from you again as you've not visited here too often lately.  Hope things are well for you down in Ft. Myers.  Your disagreement is noted and that's fine as we all see and experience things differently.  I, too, spent decades in the Flossmoor, IL area, knew Joe Aurelio, and had his pizza very frequently.  Did you know that the owners of the Naples Aurelio's are former Flossmoor area residents, too? And they also do a wonderful job with their special brand of pizzamaking -- but its slightly different from the Ft. Myers restaurant.  I used to get all my take home "frozen" Aurelio's pizzas from the Naples location, but my family has just a little preference for those made at the Ft. Myers restaurant.

Just for your information, my wife, family members, and friends had been at the Ft. Myers location on a number of occasions and we experienced nothing like the "saltiness" thing that you did.  Matter of fact, I added a little salt to the "square" pieces of pizza that I took and ate there.  I know . . . go figure.  Maybe someone was too heavy handed with the salt container that day.   I know, too, that they changed (they say . . "improved") their crust formulation for use with conveyor ovens and cutter pans and despite that I think they do a pretty good job at turning out a pretty good pizza product.  Maybe its time to give them another chance.  Or the Naples location is excellent, too.  

All I remember is  . . . . the pizza that I last had at the Ft. Myers location was super excellent.  My earlier is report is at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9706.0.html

--BTB

Add -- I do think it was ridiculous that the store manager did not attempt to make some sort of accommodation for you.  It just makes smart business sense.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 10:31:20 AM by BTB »

Offline CharlotteSailor

« Reply #181 on: February 13, 2012, 04:38:10 PM »
I think I'll give Naples another try I prefer the ambiance, Gulf Coast seems to fancy for a pizza place. Trader Joe's just opened a store in Naples that way I can kill two birds with one stone.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2012, 12:58:49 AM »
oh man extra sauce!  BTB youre killing me!  and that yellow color after cooking. i ordered 4 frozen for the holidays.... beore cooking i looked at the cheese....i tasted it....tastes like mozz it was a little dry....after baking....it still got that yellow color?  is it maybe some of the water or steam from the sauce coming through?  i know sometimes when i over sauce and under cheese, or in sauce making experiments if my sauce was too watery it would realy penetrate and mix with the cheese turning way too orange.  hmmmm.....i am soooo hungry right now!!  love the aurelios discussion!  still a good crust, cheese, and sauce, puzzle for me!

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #183 on: February 18, 2012, 08:32:01 PM »
This may be crazy talk, but does Aurelio's use a natural starter?  I have always thought of their crust as having a certain sourdough quality to it--the blistering of the edges, etc.  On a whim, I made a thin crust tonight using my sourdough starter, and there were certain things about the finished product that reminded me very much of Aurelio's crust.  I am going to have to experiment further with this.

BTW, this new video clip (dated Jan 2012) shows the assembly: http://chicagoheights.patch.com/articles/aurelio-s-owner-responds-to-chowdown-victory#video-8918707

Cutter pans in a stone deck oven.  Sprinkles it with oregano?  And there is a parm shaker on the counter near the carryout window.  They don't show any going on the pizza.  Maybe it's there to "fix" wet pies...or for sprinkling on non-pizza dishes that are sold there?

BTB, does your crust from this thread resemble Aurelio's at all?  If not, what/whose would you say it's like?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 08:57:02 PM by Garvey »

Offline account

« Reply #184 on: July 02, 2012, 06:14:47 PM »
It definitely does not, however, bake up with an orange color at all.  Unfortunately, that will remain a mystery for a while, I'm afraid. Maybe just sprinkle a few pieces of cheddar on top to get that effect.

--BTB

I'm still not counting out scamorza :p.  A possible reason it did not "orange up" for you is because you didn't have Chellino's Scamorza (the most likely candidate they would use, as it is made locally.)  Apparently, the way Chellino's Scamorza is made is different from all the other Scamorza out there.  I think I read (on this forum) nobody makes it like them (meaning the same process and/or ingredients I'm assuming.)

I've been trying to get my hands on some more to test it out, but I'm 800 miles away and I can't seem to get my family to run out and buy me some :\.  It's too hot this time of the year now so I'm out of luck until I visit in October.

The video here (currently not working) http://chicagoheights.patch.com/articles/aurelio-s-owner-responds-to-chowdown-victory#video-8918707 showed the kitchen.  He put all the ingredients on the pizza, then it cut to a different scene.  In the new scene the pizza had cheese sprinkled on top of the pepperoni  (same color as the other cheese.)  It could be different cheese, which gives the pizza it's orange color and almost cheddar like flavor (along with a nice crisp topping) , or it's the same cheese and is only used to give a crisp topping to the pizza.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:48:19 PM by account »

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #185 on: July 05, 2012, 10:19:45 PM »
I'm still not counting out scamorza :p.  A possible reason it did not "orange up" for you is because you didn't have Chellino's Scamorza (the most likely candidate they would use, as it is made locally.)  Apparently, the way Chellino's Scamorza is made is different from all the other Scamorza out there.  I think I read (on this forum) nobody makes it like them (meaning the same process and/or ingredients I'm assuming.)

I've been trying to get my hands on some more to test it out, but I'm 800 miles away and I can't seem to get my family to run out and buy me some :\.  It's too hot this time of the year now so I'm out of luck until I visit in October.

The video here (currently not working) http://chicagoheights.patch.com/articles/aurelio-s-owner-responds-to-chowdown-victory#video-8918707 showed the kitchen.  He put all the ingredients on the pizza, then it cut to a different scene.  In the new scene the pizza had cheese sprinkled on top of the pepperoni  (same color as the other cheese.)  It could be different cheese, which gives the pizza it's orange color and almost cheddar like flavor (along with a nice crisp topping) , or it's the same cheese and is only used to give a crisp topping to the pizza.

i tried chellino scamorza out here trying to clone aurelios a couple pages back and years back in this post, and i didnt get that orange color.  there was only 1 online site that sold it, and theyre gone.  but it had a green label on it, and i have heard there are bue labels and red and they are all different.  it was drier than the whole milk mozz i use, but it wasnt as dry as what i remembered grinding while working at aurelios as a young teen! 

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #186 on: July 05, 2012, 10:22:24 PM »
Hi Garvey, from a few posts back you mentioned your buddy installing that blodgett deck oven in his basement!  has he fired it up yet? have you cooked on it?  i wonder what that would be like.  perfect temp control!  it would have to be ideal for chicago thin!  and i would guess for deep dish too!!  sounds like a blast!!

Offline account

« Reply #187 on: July 06, 2012, 01:02:38 AM »
i tried chellino scamorza out here trying to clone aurelios a couple pages back and years back in this post, and i didnt get that orange color.  there was only 1 online site that sold it, and theyre gone.  but it had a green label on it, and i have heard there are bue labels and red and they are all different.  it was drier than the whole milk mozz i use, but it wasnt as dry as what i remembered grinding while working at aurelios as a young teen! 

What about the flavor, do you think it's similar to scamorza, or something different?  What would you compare it to? (it being aurelio's cheese, since you've been around the uncooked product)

Offline Garvey

• I wish could have pizza every day.
« Reply #188 on: July 16, 2012, 08:20:57 AM »
Hi Garvey, from a few posts back you mentioned your buddy installing that blodgett deck oven in his basement!  has he fired it up yet? have you cooked on it?  i wonder what that would be like.  perfect temp control!  it would have to be ideal for chicago thin!  and i would guess for deep dish too!!  sounds like a blast!!

Alas, it has not yet been installed.  They just had a baby, and other projects got bumped up on the priority list.  There is talk of a September first-time firing, so I will be sure to post pix.  It will be like a Chicago Thin Fantasy Camp (and Deep Dish, too). 

Offline davidschoon

« Reply #189 on: July 24, 2012, 12:56:31 PM »
I have to say this is the best thread ever. You guys are awesome.

Offline mrmojo1

• Supporting Member
  • pizza sans frontières
« Reply #190 on: July 24, 2012, 11:43:58 PM »
What about the flavor, do you think it's similar to scamorza, or something different?  What would you compare it to? (it being aurelio's cheese, since you've been around the uncooked product)

I didn't really notice anything too different.  to me it was like part skim mozzarella that was maybe a tad saltier? definitely dry, not as creamy as whole milk.