Author Topic: Ventured into the deep again, with a Giordano’s stuffed deep-dish (with pics)  (Read 4971 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
I was talking about the America's test kitchen youtube video.  After the dough's -1st rise they roll out into rectangle and then spread butter and roll it back up eventually semi reballing it.  This gives u the layers like a crossaint (like giordanos has) and cannot be duplicated without.

Thanks for that link Nathan...I had forgotten about that one. Looks like a winner...are you going to try it? I've never had a Giordano's...wish I knew what this mystery flavor in the crust is that you mentioned. Do you think it might be lard?
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
Could be.  Their end crust is like a crossaint/biscuit but it tastes heavenly.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Do you think it might be lard?

Bob,

The last ingredients list that I saw for the Giordano's dough was at Reply 23 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5674.msg51855.html#msg51855. That was in 2008. As you know, Giordano's later filed for bankruptcy so anything could have happened to the dough once they worked their way out of bankruptcy. Giordano's has never publicly posted Nutrition Facts for their pizzas and, even if they did, it would be very difficult to reverse engineer and clone their pizzas from the Nutrition Facts because there are too many moving parts.

A member who was privy to one of the very early Giordano's doughs (circa 1974-1975) once shared the recipe with me. That recipe included margarine and vegetable oil, in surprisingly small amounts (total combined fat), but no lard. Lard is frowned upon these days so it is not surprising that Giordano's went to vegetable oil.

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Ten-fo...thanks guys.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

pizzapan