Author Topic: GoreMade Pizza Mobile WFO photos  (Read 7499 times)

Offline bakeshack

Re: GoreMade Pizza Mobile WFO photos
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2012, 11:41:42 AM »
Very nice pies!  Have you tried a room temp fermentation before and compare it with your usual cold ferment? 

Marlon

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2012, 12:01:21 PM »
Very nice pies!  Have you tried a room temp fermentation before and compare it with your usual cold ferment? 

Marlon

I haven't yet, but see that a lot of the room temp fermenters seem to have more leopard spotting. Room temperature ferment is something I'd like to try, and would actually benefit from due to the fact that I can't fit more than 12 dough balls in my fridge at a time. Do you have a recommendation of how to adjust cold ferment dough to room temp ferment (currently .5% ADY)?
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2012, 12:17:28 PM »
Yes it's definitely worth trying so you can compare the pros and cons.  Try reducing yeast to 0.03-0.04% (it's a very small amount, maybe, half a gram or so for 12 dough balls) and ferment for at least 24 hrs at 60-65F then ball.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2012, 12:25:38 PM »
Yes it's definitely worth trying so you can compare the pros and cons.  Try reducing yeast to 0.03-0.04% (it's a very small amount, maybe, half a gram or so for 12 dough balls) and ferment for at least 24 hrs at 60-65F then ball.

I never do a bulk ferment for very long, so this'll be new to me.

Two questions:

1.) What's the process after balling?
2.) how do you measure that amount of yeast? especially if you're only gonna do a few dough balls?  ???

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2012, 12:40:12 PM »
You can do a 2 to 3 hr bulk ferment then ball and let it go for 24-36 hrs depending on the room temp. Where do you keep the dough balls?  Are they in a dough tray or Glad containers?  It might be easier to keep them at 65F if they are in the containers unless you have a cool room or basement.

If you want to try the long bulk method, after balling, just place them in your dough tray or container and keep them there for 8 hrs depending on how the dough looks. 

I would measure 1 gram then divide that in half.  I figured if you make 12 dough balls it should be enough.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2012, 12:46:01 PM »
Just picked up some artisan dough trays at the suggestion of JohnC a month ago. Dough trays in the basement is how I'll try it. I'll do a batch of 12 next time, and do a long bulk ferment for half and a long balled ferment for the other half and se where that takes me!

Thanks for the suggestions! Will report back once the experiment comes to fruition. Might be a while, though.

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 10:47:22 PM »
please take all the time you need...I look forward patiently to your success....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 01:29:18 AM »
Nick, yes do the bulk room temp then ball and basement for like 8 hrs. Dough will seem wet and will take a little getting used to but try it yes!! You can put a single small Ice pack on top and rotate the trays once and a while or your can build a simple fermentation chamber I use a 150 qt coleman or you can buy a commercial fridge or you can ...... wait just  Have fun!!and post the results !
thanks
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 09:17:29 AM »
Indeed, john... just havin fun  ;D

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2012, 09:28:45 AM »
So I finally got to the warm ferment experiment. I ended up making 6 dough balls.

Flour (100%):    927.65 g  |  32.72 oz | 2.05 lbs
Water (63%):    584.42 g  |  20.61 oz | 1.29 lbs
ADY (.03%):    0.28 g | 0.01 oz | 0 lbs | 0.07 tsp | 0.02 tbsp
Salt (2%):    18.55 g | 0.65 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.87 tsp | 1.29 tbsp
Total (165.03%):   1530.9 g | 54 oz | 3.37 lbs | TF = N/A
Single Ball:   255.15 g | 9 oz | 0.56 lbs

After making the dough, it was bulk fermented for 12 hours @ around 64. It was much more developed than anticipated, so I balled them and let them sit for another 7 hours. When i checked on them again, there was a wafting aroma of fermentation that normally doesn't develop from cold fermenting. It was nice  :D

My thoughts are that this needs a little tweaking. The flavor was more developed and I really liked the crumb, as well, but I'd probably drop the yeast down next time for a longer ferment. And I've been using some harvest king flour that I got as a free sample, but I'm not sure that this is the best flour for the job. I've also got 50 lbs of full strength to burn through, so I'll try that next time. Also, this was not my best cook. There were some heating imbalances in the oven and I got some excessive charring. Not sure if the ferment had something to do with that as well?

One pizza that I made and didn't take a photo of was a pear and fig pizza with blue cheese, honey and a balsamic reduction. it rocked the house! gonna have to hone that one in and add it to the list of awesome!

The two pizzas pictured are a salami and sausage pizza with red sauce and a salami and bleu cheese with olive oil, both with fresh mozz.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2012, 09:29:30 AM »
 :pizza:

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2012, 02:30:30 PM »
There were some heating imbalances in the oven and I got some excessive charring. Not sure if the ferment had something to do with that as well?

Yes, the dough was over-fermented, which caused the excessive charring. You should try the same recipe, 6 hours bulk, 6 hours balled, and up the salt to at least 2.7%.

The pear/fig blue cheese combination sounds delicious.

John

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2012, 03:11:18 PM »
thanks! Will Do!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2012, 04:11:06 PM »
Nick,
How long was you preheat time and did you get a floor temp?
255 g doug balls ? Mine take up that much space often in the artisans and look similar just prior to bake, always working to control the dough ! Hardest part of this job
Yes the figs sound good!
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline bakeshack

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2012, 03:17:23 AM »
Nick, do you always oil your dough after balling?  Have you tried without oil?  The flour you use during the stretching of the skins will cling to that oil underneath the dough and easily burn at Neapolitan temps, IMO.  That could have also contributed to the excessive charring you experienced.

Marlon

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2012, 09:00:34 AM »
Nick,
How long was you preheat time and did you get a floor temp?

I actually heated it up for several hours... maybe 6 or 7. it was slow, so no raging fire for most of that time. I was cleaning up the wood pile and burning what was laying around. But I did start cooking minutes after pushing the fire off to the side. The floor temp was 815, so I thought it was clear. After reading John's suggestion that the dough was over-fermented, I was sure he was right. I remember another post recently that spoke of large charred bubbles on dough as a sign of over-fermentation. The pizzas had large dark spots, the flavor of the crust was not right, the smell I experienced the last time I checked on the dough... I'm pretty sure the dough was over-fermented.

Nick, do you always oil your dough after balling?  Have you tried without oil?  The flour you use during the stretching of the skins will cling to that oil underneath the dough and easily burn at Neapolitan temps, IMO.  That could have also contributed to the excessive charring you experienced.

Marlon

I just switched to the dough trays and have only used em a handful of times. Before that, I was individually wrapping them in plastic wrap which required oiling. I've never had this kind of charring situation before, so I'm assuming that the oil wasn't the culprit. Maybe I'll try it without next time, regardless. 

Thanks for all your help thus far, everyone! It's lovely having folks to talk type things out with! I'll post my next results when they come!

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2012, 08:53:16 AM »
First off, I got an amazing score on friday! A pizza place was shut down and I made out like a bandit. I picked up 8 dough trays with a rolling base, 13 clear and white mixed 12 and 24 qt buckets with lids, some pizza and dough cutters, an ice scooper, several 14 inch dough pans and a fire extinguisher for $50! I can now store up to 144 of my regular dough balls if necessary... It's on.

On sunday, I was able to make 13 dough balls, trying a 10 hour ferment this time. While it's still not quite there, I felt a little better about it than the first warm ferment experiment. The only reason I've strayed from the 12 hr regiment is that the intervals were hard to time properly without having to wake up super early to start dough. I used the same dough recipe as the last time, other than upping the salt to 2.7% at the suggestion of John. The dough was bulk fermented for 5 hours, reballed and fermented for another 4 hours before taking the last photos of the dough balls. I used the dough an hour later. The temperature ranged was from 64-66, and I left off the oil on the dough balls as Marlon suggested, which didn't seem to make any significant difference. I think it would matter more if I were cross-stacking the trays for cooling. But since I'm not, I might as well skip it if it's all the same. The dough pictures are in one of my new dough trays, which is double the size of the artisan trays I used last time, so don't get confused. 

I must say that working with bulk fermented dough feels a lot more correct than fresh hand mixed dough. I've always been a mix then immediately ball guy (with a 20 or so minute rest before balling) to save time and steps, but now that I feel a bulk fermented dough, I don't think I'll go back to the stiff and rigid ways of old. Maybe if I had a mixer, things would be different. Also, warm fermented dough is a pleasure to open up. It basically opens itself, which makes things much easier. The dough could have used a few more hours of balled ferment. Seeing the last batch after 12 hours all big-bubbled and burping like poorly digested food was nothing like the the fermentation I had after 10 hours this time (not working with bulk ferment, I sometimes forget how the temperature increases as it generates more and more heat via fermentation). I feel like the newest batch needs more fermentation time, but I'm honing it in. I like the dough at the point of balling, but would probably add a few more hours of balled fermenting.

Also upping the salt made for a super salty finished product. I don't think I liked the amount and may take it down a bit. John, what was your reason for suggesting the salt upped in your last comment? Just flavor?

To sum up, I'm not seeing an amazing upgrade in my finished product with the warmer ferment as of yet, though I've still got a little honing in to do. I must admit that like the feel of the dough when both balling and stretching, and will probably keep the bulk ferment process, but the window for properly fermented dough is a lot more narrow than the cold ferment, which makes it hard to time properly (and I can't imagine it on a 90 day in the sun!). The pizzas were good, if a bit too salty. I'm still going to play with this a little more and see it all the way through, as it would be beneficial for me to not have to use cold fermentation based strictly on refrigeration space, but I'm missing my tried and true cold ferment dough. I'd like to have both a warm and cold ferment dough recipe just in case either is necessary. I think for the next experiment, I'll try for a few more hours of fermentation and see if that gets me where I want to be.

Couple questions:

I was hoping to see more contrast, but I'm seeing a browning with a few dark bubbles. Anyone have any suggestion as to why this might be and how to achieve more of what I'm looking for? (higher heat?)

If It does work out to be a 12 hour fermentation and I'd like to make it a 24 hour fermentation (for convenience more than anything), would the calculation be as easy as cutting the yeast in half, keeping the same ratio of bulk to balled ferment?

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2012, 09:02:25 AM »
more pizza. The last photo is a tester. On halloween, I'm gonna try selling some pizza at a bar. It's a 7" veggie pizza (three toppings). Any suggestion on a price?

Online Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2012, 09:34:50 AM »
more pizza. The last photo is a tester. On halloween, I'm gonna try selling some pizza at a bar. It's a 7" veggie pizza (three toppings). Any suggestion on a price?
10 bucks a pop Nick. Hey, it's Halloween and everybody(hopefully >:D) will be too tanked to sweat the small stuff.... :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2012, 12:27:59 PM »
I'm thinking that is a $10 two topping pizza, $1 each addl. topping.  Give the first one away.  Make sure to walk all the way through the bar so everyone sees it.  You'll be out of dough soon.
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends