Author Topic: 1st time poster (I think)  (Read 177 times)

Offline Doug Wheeler

1st time poster (I think)
« on: July 31, 2012, 04:40:30 PM »
In the interest of taking up valuable server space, I hope I haven't registered before, but even if I did, I can't remember my username or password and have likely changed email addresses since then.

Anyway, I grew up in the Akron-Canton area of Northeast Ohio although my first love of pizza is tied to Columbus where my extended family lived. I just loved the thin, cracker like crust.

A few of the local shops grew on me, most notably Pizza Oven of Canton, who strangely makes my favorite pizza although it is not my favorite style. Others I like locally are Italo's of Firestone Park, Guisseppe's of Green, and Krauss of Massillon. All of these shops sell pizza with a thicker, doughier crust. I also like Mama Santo's in Little Italy in Cleveland.

I still preferred the thinner crust pizzas from Columbus to be much better. In particular, I like Tommy's, Massey's, TAT, and Papa Joe's. Donato's is suitable (and available in NE Ohio) when nothing else is close, but I fear that the chain mentality is beginning to ruin them.

In traveling, I have enjoyed pizzas in Chicago and NoCal, but don't remember the names of the shops. I much prefer the Chicago style thin crust over that city's deep dish pan style.

I recently made my first trip to New York, specifically to find out what is so great about the pizza there. I loved it! In fact, my trip inspired me to get back onto pizza making.com to begin making my own pies again (I have successfully made the thin crust pizza in the past, but see below). My family & I tried 9 different NY pizzerias based on rankings and recommendations of various websites, and we loved them all. Although it is hard to pick a favorite, I would have to say Spunto, Numero 28, and Sallugi's were my favorites.

As I mentioned above, I have successfully made the thin crust pizza before, but it has been several years. It was successful in the sense that it tasted great, and in my opinion was better than anything I could buy around here. Unfortunately, I lost interest in making it because it was such a battle for me to make a dough that would stretch out far enough to fill a pan, yet remain thin. I could do it, but it was just too much work. I am hopeful that I will be able to pick up some newer tricks since my last visit (not sure how long thats been) that make it easier.

Grazie

Doug
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 04:54:22 PM by Doug Wheeler »

pizzapan