Author Topic: Hello from South Central PA  (Read 334 times)

Offline dmgood

Hello from South Central PA
« on: July 27, 2012, 08:06:05 AM »
Hey, everyone,

I found this site after watching some YouTube videos of a guy (he's probably on here...) making Vietnamese Baguettes and awesome looking NY style pizza in his back yard wood fired pizza oven and I said to myself "I want to do that too!!".  I was trying to gather the importance of all he was saying regarding the flour he used, hydration percentage, etc. and followed his URL pointer to this forum.  I was amazed at the amount of information found here and am eager to read down through all the posts (although that seems overwhelming!)

I've been making bread and pizza crusts at home off and on for a while now - (30 years??) - and they've been OK... not great... some better than others... but just that typical homemade taste and texture.  Even though I've got a stone in the oven at all times, I've never been able to get that really great pizza crust.  I am hoping to find - maybe not the secrets - but the knowledge to take my bread/pizza making to the next level.

I am close to Philly and New York and visit there and have always enjoyed South Philly Italian bread and New York style pizza and have wanted to recreate these myself.  I also recently returned from New Orleans and came to realize the amazing bread used in their Po Boy sandwiches.  I have joined the quest of others searching for how to duplicate that thin crispy crust and manna-like crumb.

That's my story.  I'm eager to jump in and do some reading.  Thanks, everyone!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Hello from South Central PA
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 12:18:17 PM »
Very nice introduction dm! Welcome to the forum...I'm sure we'll be able to take your pizzas to the next level and it's great that you have a stone to work with.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline scott123

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 03:28:45 AM »
Don, welcome.

South Central PA is a pretty vast region, but is there any chance you're anywhere near Lancaster?  One of our most active members (Norma427) sells pizza at Root's Market

http://www.rootsmarket.com/index.asp

If you are in that area, you HAVE to go.

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 11:48:50 AM »
Very nice introduction dm! Welcome to the forum...I'm sure we'll be able to take your pizzas to the next level and it's great that you have a stone to work with.

That stone could even take a Jack's to the next level, huh Bob?   :-D

Welcome to the site, DM!!!  Yeah, we southcentral Pennsylvanians tend to get around but for some reason, we always seem to be able to meander our way back home.  LOL   ;D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 12:08:48 PM »
As Shultzy would say....Jacks needs Nuuuthing!!  :chef:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 03:05:24 PM »