Author Topic: Primo Oval XL for Pizza  (Read 1169 times)

Offline DavidD

Primo Oval XL for Pizza
« on: July 11, 2012, 11:57:33 AM »
Hi my name is David, I live in Shrewsbury MA and just purchased a Primo Oval XL charcoal grill.  I am told it can bake a pizza better than brick ovens. I am looking for good and easy pizza dough recipes that are easy to stretch.  I always have problems stretching the dough without making it too thin and creating large holes. 

Does anybody else cook pizza in the Primo Oval XL or a Green Egg, I would love some tips for I am just a beginner.

Thanks

Offline shuboyje

Re: Primo Oval XL for Pizza
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 12:20:18 PM »
A user by the name of Jackie tran has cooked pizza on just about anything including a primo.  If you search you should find some of his efforts.  Sadly whoever told you it will out perform a brick oven either lied or used a very poorly designed brick oven, but it will cook pizza.
-Jeff

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 12:31:50 PM »
It you want to fast forward your pizza game by a year or so, search for "plate setter"
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline DavidD

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 01:49:13 PM »
When I was considering a large big green egg vs the primo oval xl the dealer who only sold the egg and also sold firebreak pizza oven said he used the egg to cook pizza over the brick oven he also used in the store.  I assumed the egg and primo would cook a pizza the same.

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 02:42:11 PM »
Research is your friend... assumptions almost never are.

You can get decent bakes out of the Primo. There's a lot of information here how to do it.  Better than a WFO?  No way.
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Moondance

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 04:50:33 PM »
I also just purchased the same Primo grill.  I haven't tried pizza yet, but hope to this weekend.  Please post some pics and tell us how it went.
Regina

"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature may heal and give strength to body and soul."
John Muir