Author Topic: authentic pizza pans  (Read 4169 times)

Offline AdamtheGreek

• I Love Pizza!
authentic pizza pans
« on: October 20, 2005, 05:20:56 PM »
Greetings all!

My name's Adam, a native Chicagoan and a hardcore pizza enthusiast/chef.  I am posting a question for my first post and would be most appreciative of any help.  If you are from Chicago and have been to the "Big Names" i.e. Pizzeria Uno, Due, Lou Malnati's etc., they usually serve their pizzas in a blackish/ironish deep-dish pan.  I however cannot find these pans and am currently using a lightweight metallic 14" pizza pan.  If anyone knows of the pans' whereabouts or where I could obtain them I would be most appreciative.  Thanks a bunch guys and look forward to hearing any comments!  Thanks.

Offline bbear

• I'm a llama!
Re: authentic pizza pans
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2005, 02:23:00 AM »
search for "pizza pan" on ebay. There are almost always a few for sale. I get two twelve inch pans for 20 buck (shipping included) a while ago. It's better to get used ones than new ones.

Offline AdamtheGreek

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2005, 08:33:19 PM »
Yea, I'll go ahead and check that on ebay...one other question though, would I be looking for a particular material such as aluminum or I hear there's one called "Chicago Metallic", I understand that there's a difference when you actually bake the pizza in regards to the texture of the crust with the type of pan you use.

Offline freshflour

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2005, 02:18:37 PM »
There's a big difference, depending on the material and the thickness.  It might take a few before you get the one you want.  I don't make Chicago style pizza, but I have a collection of pans that I accumulated trying to make other styles.  Now I just use the pans for serving and cook right on the stone.  Obviously that's not how you would go for Chicago style.

Offline PizzaTools.com

• Ask the pan man!
    • For all your pizza tools
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 05:36:24 PM »
We are the worlds largest pizza pan manufacturer and  supply a majority of the pizzerias in the U.S.
We are famous for short ship dates and our very own tougher than steel non-stick guaranteed for life anodized pan. Check them out at www.pizzatools.com and email me if you want more information regarding pizza pans.

Offline AdamtheGreek

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2005, 02:22:10 AM »
Great website, I'll look around, thanks.

Offline Ed

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 06:30:17 AM »
You might want to look at this website:

http://www.abestkitchen.com/store/pizzapans.html

The Chicago metallic bakalon pans look good.

Offline buzz

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 09:58:14 AM »
Check out the Allied pans on abestkitchen!

Offline Iceman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 12:02:12 AM »
If you are from Chicago and have been to the "Big Names" i.e. Pizzeria Uno, Due, Lou Malnati's etc., they usually serve their pizzas in a blackish/ironish deep-dish pan.

All the one's I've ever used are like the "Deep-Dish Stacking" type on the http://www.pizzatools.com/ site. They all start out with a nice clean aluminum look and get the "blackish/ironish" look through their use. Buy whatever pans you like, not what someone else likes. I think it's far more important to use the best ingredients than worry about tools
It is better to eat pizza with friends than to eat sprouts alone.