Author Topic: August 2012 Monthly Challenge: “Get Fired Up!”  (Read 8516 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
August 2012 Monthly Challenge: “Get Fired Up!”
« on: July 31, 2012, 10:36:03 PM »
The scorching heat of summer curbs the urge to bake in a regular oven, so get fired up!  ;D

This month members can submit any pizzas that are baked outside.  They can be baked right on a grill, flip baked on a grill, on a stone on the grill, a cast iron pan on the grill, or any other way you can think of.  Mods are welcome.  The pizza also can be baked in WFO’s if they are outside.  Pellet grills, BGE’s, LGE’s  2 stones, or any other creative way you can think of to bake a pizza outside. 

A few tips:

If baking directly on a grill it might need to be oiled first to help the dough slide on the grates, or either the pizza skin might need to be oiled a little.  If many toppings are used when a pizza is baked directly on a grill grate, you might also want to grill them first.

If anyone wants a ready easy pizza to make, this should fit the bill.

http://www.pillsbury.com/cooking-occasions/occasions/outdoor-eating/how-to-grill-pizza

Keep the heat outside where it belongs.  Pizzas for this monthly challenge don’t have to look picture perfect either. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline TXCraig1

Re: August 2012 Monthly Challenge: “Get Fired Up!”
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 09:03:54 PM »
Great challenge!

;D
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 09:33:59 PM »
Great challenge!

;D

Thanks Craig.   :)  I hope some members post pictures this month.   

Norma

Offline The Gizz

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 02:10:40 AM »
I have been reading all of the wonderful post at PM.com for a few months now and just !!!TODAY!!! I discovered this monthly challenge section.  :-[

Norma, I guess I'll start this challenge off since my wfo is outside. I'm not a fan of pasta & pizza but the kids have been wanting me to make this since they saw it on one of the FN shows. "Macaroni & Cheese".
A bit of dry mozz, a bit of prov, a bit of gruyere, the macaroni, some Crème fraîche, a few slivers of velveeta. (forgot the bread crumbs)
It was not half bad 
Thanks........Tee

Offline The Gizz

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 02:14:11 AM »
Can't leave the "Queen" out....................
Thanks........Tee

Offline Ev

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 07:56:52 AM »
Great looking pies, Tee. I wouldn't mind reading about your dough and oven some day.  ;) :D

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 08:34:39 AM »
The Gizz,

I don’t think you are alone at not knowing about the monthly challenge section.   

Wow, you sure gave this challenge a great start.  ;D Your pizzas look picture perfect.  I never tried a “Macaroni & Cheese” pizza, but your combination of dressings sound and look delicious!  :chef: Your “Queen” also looks delicious. 

Like Steve, I also would be interested in your dough formulation and work flow if you wanted to share it.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 07:32:40 PM »
Tee, all three pies look beautiful. That's some pro looking leoparding. Somehow I think I'd prefer the Margherita to the mac and cheese. Your peel doesn't look like you are using it enough.  :-D

Craig

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 07:33:34 PM »
Great looking pies, Tee. I wouldn't mind reading about your dough and oven some day.  ;) :D

Same here.

Offline The Gizz

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 01:09:54 AM »
Thank you for the compliments Steve, Norma, and Craig.
My workflow for the above was inspired by the workflows of Craig and John’s (dellavecchia) Keste Clone.

100% Flour (Caputo Blue)
   61% Water (Room temp)
.075% CY
 2.7% Sea Salt

1) I first dissolved the CY in room temp water.

2) Using a KA w/dough hook, I add all of the water/CY and flour mixed on stir (lowest setting) until incorporated (about a minute).

3) Autolyse 10 minutes

4) Mix on stir for 3 minutes adding the salt during the first minute.

5) About 3 folds on the counter

6) Bulk 30 hours @ 65f-69f in a cooler and 1 coleman chiller

7) Balled 18 hours @ 62f in a cooler and 2 coleman chillers

8) These pies were baked @ 930f 50-60 seconds.

I have a FB Premio like member Scott D (flyboy4ual). I plan to put a build thread up once I organize my pictures.

Your peel doesn't look like you are using it enough.  :-D

Craig

LoL @ Craig….Yes that peel is “fresh”. It has only been used as a pie transporter so far. I have another for the launch but usually grab the GI metal.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 01:27:34 AM by The Gizz »
Thanks........Tee

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 01:31:55 PM »
Thank you for the compliments Steve, Norma, and Craig.
My workflow for the above was inspired by the workflows of Craig and John’s (dellavecchia) Keste Clone.

100% Flour (Caputo Blue)
   61% Water (Room temp)
.075% CY
 2.7% Sea Salt

1) I first dissolved the CY in room temp water.

2) Using a KA w/dough hook, I add all of the water/CY and flour mixed on stir (lowest setting) until incorporated (about a minute).

3) Autolyse 10 minutes

4) Mix on stir for 3 minutes adding the salt during the first minute.

5) About 3 folds on the counter

6) Bulk 30 hours @ 65f-69f in a cooler and 1 coleman chiller

7) Balled 18 hours @ 62f in a cooler and 2 coleman chillers

8) These pies were baked @ 930f 50-60 seconds.

I have a FB Premio like member Scott D (flyboy4ual). I plan to put a build thread up once I organize my pictures.

LoL @ Craig….Yes that peel is “fresh”. It has only been used as a pie transporter so far. I have another for the launch but usually grab the GI metal.

Tee,

Thanks so much for posting your formulation and dough workflow!  :)  John and Craig are great teachers.  :chef: :pizza: Keste's pies are still my favorite pies, so I would have really like to tasted your pies.

Norma

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 10:54:15 PM »
Baked on my grill in the MPO (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20334.msg199996.html#msg199996).

I really like this pie from the MPO or the WFO - tomato, dry WM mozz, Calabrian chilies, fresh basil.

100% KABF
64% water (effective ~67% hydration)
7.5% Ischia culture
2.5% salt
2.0% shortening (HT Chau)

16 hours at 60F bulk + 6 hours 60F balls + 4 hours 77F balls (14” pies, 370g balls)

parallei

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2012, 11:17:24 PM »
Norma - I made Farinata on the 2Stone for your August Challenge.  I chucked some zucchini in there (it's that time of year!).  I'm sure the zucchini isn't traditional.

100% Chickpea Flour
315% water
36 % Olive Oil
A bit of sea salt
TF about 0.26

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 09:30:02 AM »
Baked on my grill in the MPO (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20334.msg199996.html#msg199996).

I really like this pie from the MPO or the WFO - tomato, dry WM mozz, Calabrian chilies, fresh basil.

100% KABF
64% water (effective ~67% hydration)
7.5% Ischia culture
2.5% salt
2.0% shortening (HT Chau)

16 hours at 60F bulk + 6 hours 60F balls + 4 hours 77F balls (14” pies, 370g balls)

Craig,

Wow, you pie made on the MPO looks delicious!  You sure are great at using different ovens!  :chef: What do you think the shortening did to the pie?  Did it give the crumb any different texture.  I know Chau was working with shortening in doughs.  How do you rate the pizza made in the MPO to pizzas you made on your grill before?

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 09:37:04 AM »
Norma - I made Farinata on the 2Stone for your August Challenge.  I chucked some zucchini in there (it's that time of year!).  I'm sure the zucchini isn't traditional.

100% Chickpea Flour
315% water
36 % Olive Oil
A bit of sea salt
TF about 0.26

Paul,

Your Farinata sure looks delicious too!  ;D What is a Farinata?  Could you also post how Chickpea flour is to use and if you have used it before?  That sure is a high percentage of oil that you used.  I bet your Farinata was moist.  I sure like zucchini on a pizza as a dressing.

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 10:05:14 AM »
Paul, That is one tasty looking Farinata. Awhile back I wanted to do a Socca for the no wheat challenge but couldn't find chickpea(garbonzo bean) flour here. :( Did you grill or fry the zuccs or simply sliced?
Don

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 10:28:43 AM »
Craig,

Wow, you pie made on the MPO looks delicious!  You sure are great at using different ovens!  :chef: What do you think the shortening did to the pie?  Did it give the crumb any different texture.  I know Chau was working with shortening in doughs.  How do you rate the pizza made in the MPO to pizzas you made on your grill before?

Norma

This is the first time I've ever tried shortening in pizza, and I've rarely used oil. The pizza was very good - the last two were nice and crisp. I just don't have enough experience with fats in my dough to say how the two compare.

The MPO pies are very different than my previous grill pies which were much closer to NP style. I see the MPO as a couple things 1) a ready to go straight out of the box way to make good pizza on the BBQ. People love to cook on their BBQ and most people won't mess with a homemade BBQ hack, and 2) with a little work I think It will bake a better pie than a non-hacked home oven, so it is an option for people who want to bake a better pizza but don't want to or cant jump into a WFO. What it isn't is a WFO, and it's not going to bake NP pies.

CL

parallei

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 10:30:41 AM »
Thanks Norma and Don.......

Did you grill or fry the zuccs or simply sliced?

Don,

I sautéed the very thinly sliced zucc for just a minute or two before mixing it in the chickpea flour/water/oil right before baking.

What is a Farinata?  Could you also post how Chickpea flour is to use and if you have used it before?  That sure is a high percentage of oil that you used.  I bet your Farinata was moist.

Norma,

It is not really pizza.....  It is a food from Liguria (the north-west coastal Italy, on the Mediterranean).  As Don noted it is also called Socca in the south of France.  It is a very thin batter (note the 315% HR) of chickpea flour and water.   You mix the water and chickpea flour, let it sit for 4 or 5 hours, stir in the oil and salt, and bake it in a pan that has been heated up to hot with some olive oil.  Yes, lots of olive oil.  It is supposed to hot and oily!  With lots of black pepper right before you eat it!

I've made it before in the oven, but like may things it is much better baked at a higher temp.  This was about 625F for 5 min.  In Italy they have large special pans, and at traditional places cook it in a wood fired oven.  My grandparents immigrated from Liguria.  The times we've visited Liguria we always eat a bunch of Farinata.  If you're "in the know" you ask when the next pan will done and get it REALLY hot.  Some places post what time they make it at. It isn't good at room temperature.  So that's Farinata. ;D

Tee and Craig,

NICE pies. :chef:  I'm hungry already...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 10:39:27 AM by parallei »

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 05:08:58 PM »
This is the first time I've ever tried shortening in pizza, and I've rarely used oil. The pizza was very good - the last two were nice and crisp. I just don't have enough experience with fats in my dough to say how the two compare.

The MPO pies are very different than my previous grill pies which were much closer to NP style. I see the MPO as a couple things 1) a ready to go straight out of the box way to make good pizza on the BBQ. People love to cook on their BBQ and most people won't mess with a homemade BBQ hack, and 2) with a little work I think It will bake a better pie than a non-hacked home oven, so it is an option for people who want to bake a better pizza but don't want to or cant jump into a WFO. What it isn't is a WFO, and it's not going to bake NP pies.

CL

Craig,

I didn’t think you used much oil in your doughs before. 

Thanks also for explaining the MPO pies are very different than your previous grill pies.  I know most people don’t like to fool around with BBQ hacks.  The MPO could fit the bill for people that want a better pie in an non-hacked home oven.

Norma

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 05:17:10 PM »
Thanks Norma and Don.......

Norma,

It is not really pizza.....  It is a food from Liguria (the north-west coastal Italy, on the Mediterranean).  As Don noted it is also called Socca in the south of France.  It is a very thin batter (note the 315% HR) of chickpea flour and water.   You mix the water and chickpea flour, let it sit for 4 or 5 hours, stir in the oil and salt, and bake it in a pan that has been heated up to hot with some olive oil.  Yes, lots of olive oil.  It is supposed to hot and oily!  With lots of black pepper right before you eat it!

I've made it before in the oven, but like may things it is much better baked at a higher temp.  This was about 625F for 5 min.  In Italy they have large special pans, and at traditional places cook it in a wood fired oven.  My grandparents immigrated from Liguria.  The times we've visited Liguria we always eat a bunch of Farinata.  If you're "in the know" you ask when the next pan will done and get it REALLY hot.  Some places post what time they make it at. It isn't good at room temperature.  So that's Farinata. ;D

Paul,

Thanks for explaining that Farinata isn’t really a pizza.  I did note the 315% hydration.  :o  Hot and oily sounds great to me and the lots of black pepper also sounds good.  I can imagine how good the Farinata would be in a WFO.  I didn’t know you grandparents immigrated from Liguria.  Good to know that “you are in the know” as when to eat the Farinata really hot.  ;D I wonder how many members every heard of Farinata before.

Norma