Author Topic: Gray market appliances-Word of caution  (Read 1072 times)

Offline rodinbangkok

Gray market appliances-Word of caution
« on: July 01, 2012, 11:25:30 PM »
This is my first post here, came to gather some info on pizza's, and have to say you guys do a good job in putting the word out on pizza's and about everything about them.

My reason for posting is to simply give you all a heads up about buying gray market appliances.  It never really concerned me much, as most are pretty safe in their own right.  But what raised a flag was some recent posts about, and some recommending, a table top electric pizza oven that appears to have a lot of power behind it.  I have no first hand knowledge of this oven, but have a lot of experience dealing with all sorts of ovens made for use in commercial applications here in Asia. 

You should know that most likely this oven is not UL or CSA listed.  That in itself is not a problem, as it may work just fine forever with no issues.  But be aware that if this oven ever does cause a fire either in your home or business, it may not be or most likely will not be covered by your insurance, and could void your entire coverage.

UL/CSA listings cost money, and adds cost to products, but they are there for a good reason, especially in the case of table top items that can be used in the home.

I also see that the original seller is now nowhere to be contacted. 

I would highly recommend you do some homework on items such as this, as for commercial use if you depend on one, you most likely will never be able to get replacement parts, but most importantly especially in the case of electric ovens, if you think you have one now, check it for UL listing, if it does not have it, check you insurance to see if its a problem.  Finally if you must use it monitor it, and unplug it after each use.

Be very cautious when purchasing items such as this, it could have consequences far beyond what you were thinking when you saved that extra buck.

Ok off my soap box, thanks again for a great site with lots of good info!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Gray market appliances-Word of caution
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 08:18:11 AM »
Why go to all of that warning and not tell us what product you talk'in bout man?! Sheeesh!!   SAGE?  A simple yes or no will not cause you to go to prison....trust me.   >:D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 10:01:19 AM »
This is a great place to find information about anything and your post is appreciated.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 10:40:20 AM »
You're welcome...... ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

scott123

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 11:59:43 AM »
I, too, appreciate your post Bob  ;D Some clarification would be helpful.