Author Topic: Can anyone help me with my memory stick and loading pictures to my computer?  (Read 5448 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Three topics should be off-limits for all civil forums: religion, politics, and Mac vs. Windows.  :)

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
 :-[  just tryin to help.... 
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
:-[  just tryin to help.... 

Mac vs. Windows debates never end well. Trust me.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Norma, at the risk of geeking out and scaring you away from computers, Windows just blows.  If you use your computer for anything other than playing solitaire, it makes sense to look into alternatives that are far more dependable.

Mac is a great platform, and the hardware is as solid as it gets.  A little on the pricey side.   You could get a nice used one that has been factory-refurbished for about 1/2 the cost of a brand new one.   All Mac resellers are required to sell refurbished products at the same price, so you don't have to worry about whether you're getting ripped off.  Here's one I've used before:  http://www.smalldog.com/Macs 

And then, you could work with what you have, replace the Windows OS with one that actually works.  I'm typing this on my Linux Mint laptop.  It used to run windows 7, but it crashed one too many times, and I was fed up with all the weird driver issues, firewalls, PC viruses, malware, etc.  I downloaded the Linux Mint LiveCD from this site: http://www.linuxmint.com/index.php , burned it, installed it after trying it out.  Never looked back.  It's faster, more dependable and is far more useful to me than Windows ever was.

Brian,

I know Macs are better, and should have made that decision before I got my computer (at the risk of Bill telling me not to mention it again) :angel:. I donít know if I would be smart enough to be able to download the Linux Mint Live CD and burn and install it.  I have problems with understanding everything about computers. 

I really appreciate your help and might try.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
On my android phone I use "Swipe"...instead of individually taping each key you swipe your finger across the keyboard creating each word. It is very smart and makes texting about 5 times faster...no kidding.   ;)

Bob,

I do have voice recognition on my cell, but that still takes me longer than to type on my computer keyboard.  I tried that swipe and for my old brain it is too much technology for me.  My regular computer has a 17Ē flat screen and it is much easier for me to see the posts and be able to type.  I know my eyes are also getting older.  I guess I am just an old fart.   :-D  At least typing now is getting easier on my daughterís laptop.  My daughter doesn't use her laptop anymore, but uses her cell now.  I don't know what is wrong with her laptop, but it keep taking me off of the internet.   :-D 

Thanks for your help also!  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Mac vs. Windows debates never end well. Trust me.

Bill,

I trust you.  :)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator

I know everyone must be getting sick of my problems with my computer, but I just wanted to post that I picked-up the computer today right before 5:00 pm.  I had asked if they would check why I havenít been able to read pdf. documents also.  To make a long story a little shorter, the tech gave me a web address to download another fix for that.  He turned on my computer at the shop and it wouldnít connect to the internet.  He told me to go home and try to connect to the internet.  He said maybe a driver is missing now.  Well, that must be more than a driver missing now, because my mouse wonít even work after I hooked everything up.  Of course the computer is under warranty that it will work now, so it is back to the shop with the computer on Monday after 209.90.  I guess I will be on the laptop a little while longer.

Norma   

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Norma,

So sorry your woes persist. When I heard that the tech thought that a virus was your problem, I was dubious that he was going to be able to fix your problem. I hope you can find someone who knows what he is doing. This guy does not. Good luck!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma,

So sorry your woes persist. When I heard that the tech thought that a virus was your problem, I was dubious that he was going to be able to fix your problem. I hope you can find someone who knows what he is doing. This guy does not. Good luck!

Bill,

Thanks so much for the good luck!   ;D

There are other techs where I took the computer, so hopefully someone will be able to fix it.   I did take an older computer to the same place a couple of years ago and that computer (a Dell running XP) did also have viruses and they did fix that computer.  That computer was still working, but something happened that the mouse wouldnít work.  That is why I started using the computer I am using now.  The computer I am using now was the one I got from Ebay for my deck oven not working properly when I purchased my deck oven on Ebay.  My brother did make three start-up CDís for me incase anything would happen to this computer.  Hopefully I wonít have to use those 3 CDís, because then I would lose all the information that is on the computer.  I know this is way too much information.  :-D

Norma

Offline pizzaneer

• Pizza and zen more pizza
Actually Bill, the reason I gave up on win7 was because of a driver-eating virus... I had to boot into safe mode to retrieve my files.  At one point even the videocard driver got munched, and theres nothing worse than looking at a black screen while the computer's humming along.

I got my files off, installed Linux, and it's history.

Norma, I'd be happy to send you a disk with Linux Mint on it. 
I'd rather eat one good meal a day than 3 squares of garbage.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Actually Bill, the reason I gave up on win7 was because of a driver-eating virus... I had to boot into safe mode to retrieve my files.  At one point even the videocard driver got munched, and theres nothing worse than looking at a black screen while the computer's humming along.

I'm not saying viruses don't exist, but my eyes roll at the tech's knee-jerk diagnosis. There's big bucks in virus scanning, cleaning, and eventually, restoring the system. This can cure a range of problems, but is often totally unnecessary - which I suspect applies to poor Norma.

FWIW, I've been running Windows since 1990 and have never gotten a virus. I also have both Win7 and Mac OSX systems on my desk.  Now, if I were to say which one gives me the most problems, I would be guilty of the kind of behavior that would get my thread deleted by one of the awesome moderators of this list. So I will not say which system I consider vastly superior for the kind of work I do. But it rhymes with .... no, I couldn't do it ... as tempting as it is ....  >:D

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Go ahead Bill....Peter is much more lenient these days since the gals got a good look at him!!   :-*
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Go ahead Bill....Peter is much more lenient these days since the gals got a good look at him!!   :-*

It's not Peter I'm worried about. It's the other moderator who doesn't like OS wars.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Yes....I know   ;)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator

I got my files off, installed Linux, and it's history.

Norma, I'd be happy to send you a disk with Linux Mint on it. 

Brian,

On my old Dell I had the black screen.  :(  The techs did fix that computer.  I know nothing about driver eating viruses.  I know I also donít go on questionable sites, except if doing some of my searches for learning something about pizza might be questionable sites.  ::) Where those viruses come from is far beyond me.  On my old Dell I know my granddaughter did download tunes on questionable sites.
Thanks so much for offering to send me a disk with Linux Mint on it.  :)  You are a good man! I will first wait and see if the techs can get my computer working properly.  I guess they could get off all old information and transfer it to the computer again.  I know that is what my brother did with my Dell.  He transferred all the information from my Dell to the computer that is now giving me problems.  I wish he lived closer to me, but he lives in Colorado. 

Norma   

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
I'm not saying viruses don't exist, but my eyes roll at the tech's knee-jerk diagnosis. There's big bucks in virus scanning, cleaning, and eventually, restoring the system. This can cure a range of problems, but is often totally unnecessary - which I suspect applies to poor Norma.

FWIW, I've been running Windows since 1990 and have never gotten a virus. I also have both Win7 and Mac OSX systems on my desk.  Now, if I were to say which one gives me the most problems, I would be guilty of the kind of behavior that would get my thread deleted by one of the awesome moderators of this list. So I will not say which system I consider vastly superior for the kind of work I do. But it rhymes with .... no, I couldn't do it ... as tempting as it is ....  >:D

Bill,

I can believe there are big bucks in trying to fix a computer, when someone isnít knowledgeable like me.  What do you think was wrong with my computer if it wasnít a virus?

How did you get by with no viruses if you also use Windows? 

I sure would like to know what OP you like the best, but sure wonít push you to find out.  :angel:

Norma 

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member

I can believe there are big bucks in trying to fix a computer, when someone isnít knowledgeable like me.  What do you think was wrong with my computer if it wasnít a virus?

How did you get by with no viruses if you also use Windows? 

I sure would like to know what OP you like the best, but sure wonít push you to find out.  :angel:

Norma 

Norma,

It could be many things, but I would ask you to recall when everything (PDF's, CD's, flash drives, etc.) were working fine. Then I'd try to find out everything you installed (or uninstalled since then) with an eye to one of those being the offending party. Maybe one of those processes did not complete correctly.  Every time you make a change to the system, it creates a restore point that you can use to go back to when everything was running fine. I'd probably start there.

Most viruses get on systems by the action of the user. I don't open email attachments unless I am certain they come from a trusted source. I avoid clicking email links. I suspect mail that contain such attachments or links may come from a compromised system, even if they say they are from a friend or family member. I don't visit seedy sites. I install Windows updates (2nd Tuesday of each month) the moment they are available, I run the OS firewall and the run in my router. I eat a lot of pizza.

When I say which OS is best, it is based on how I use my computers. What's best for me may not be the best for you. But IMO both Windows and MacOS are worthy options and a lot of the claims of one being easier or more secure or more stable than the other are based on old information. An interesting observation - the program on my Windows 7 system that crashes the most and causes me the most headaches is iTunes, an Apple program. Go figure.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
I eat a lot of pizza.

But IMO both Windows and MacOS are worthy options and a lot of the claims of one being easier or more secure or more stable than the other are based on old information.

Finally....the debate is over!

Eat a lot of pizza...and all things will go right in this world.   :)
Thank you Bill... ;)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Norma,

It could be many things, but I would ask you to recall when everything (PDF's, CD's, flash drives, etc.) were working fine. Then I'd try to find out everything you installed (or uninstalled since then) with an eye to one of those being the offending party. Maybe one of those processes did not complete correctly.  Every time you make a change to the system, it creates a restore point that you can use to go back to when everything was running fine. I'd probably start there.

Most viruses get on systems by the action of the user. I don't open email attachments unless I am certain they come from a trusted source. I avoid clicking email links. I suspect mail that contain such attachments or links may come from a compromised system, even if they say they are from a friend or family member. I don't visit seedy sites. I install Windows updates (2nd Tuesday of each month) the moment they are available, I run the OS firewall and the run in my router. I eat a lot of pizza.

When I say which OS is best, it is based on how I use my computers. What's best for me may not be the best for you. But IMO both Windows and MacOS are worthy options and a lot of the claims of one being easier or more secure or more stable than the other are based on old information. An interesting observation - the program on my Windows 7 system that crashes the most and causes me the most headaches is iTunes, an Apple program. Go figure.

Bill,

My computer seemed to be working fine until I couldnít look at PDFís anymore.  That might have been about a month ago, or a little longer, if I recall right.  I only have a basic AVG program installed that I run about every week.  Last week stuff started coming up on my computer that said viruses and Trojan horses.  I removed them to the virus vault.  Then the beginning of this week more stuff started showing up on my computer and some of it could not be removed by AVG.  I guess I should have a paid AVG, Norton, or something else installed on my computer, but I donĎt, because I am not sure what is best.  I did go back to May of this year and restored my computer to that date.  I also did a restore again, but guess something was already in my computer. 

I donít open any attachments from someone I donít trust, donít even play any music or movies on my computer,  donít look at email that is from someone I donít know and donít visit seedy sites, so I am not sure what happened to my computer.  Basically the computer was working just fine for about 2 years.   

I really canít recall anything that I might have done wrong, except open pictures of my friends garden.  He just got a new digital camera and never had one before, so I donít think anything came from him. 

I also install updates to Windows each time they are available.  I donít know how to run the OS firewall.  I do have a firewall though.  I donít have a router and my Ethernet cable is just hooked right into my modem, since I donít run more than one computer. 

I appreciate you telling me what is best for you might not be best for me.  That is an interesting observation that the program for i Tunes, gives you the most problems, being it is a Apple program.

I like the part about your post that you said you eat a lot of pizza.  ;D

Thanks for helping!  :)

Norma 

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
Could someone please give me the number for windows vista premium support.  My daughter went to Wildwood yesterday.  I tried to install her camera on her laptop so I can post pictures of the pizza.  When I went to start her computer thist morning, The computer won't start it says driver problem.  I need the number for windows vista premium to see if it can be repaired.  The driver installed last night from her camera.  I
was just trying to post the pictures from the pizza because the hydration and salt.  I'm just posting this from voice recognition on my cell.  Sorry for the mistakes.  Thanks norma.  My daughter's laptop has a blue screen.

pizzapan