Author Topic: Can I use wood found in my backyard to heat a BGE  (Read 851 times)

Offline Claytonbellmor

Can I use wood found in my backyard to heat a BGE
« on: August 01, 2012, 09:28:01 AM »
Is it bad for your health, flavor or a BGE to use pieces of wood from a backyard (mostly pines) to heat up the oven for pizza making? I just use charcoal and wood chips now, but I'd save some money, and probably end up baking more on my BGE if I could just use wood from around my yard instead.

Thanks for taking time to read/reply!

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
Re: Can I use wood found in my backyard to heat a BGE
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 09:53:48 AM »
I wouldn't use pine. When pine burns it gives off a lot of sooty smoke that will soon coat your BGE and everything else it comes in contact with. It burns fast and hot but will pop and sputter a lot. I have burned pine in my chiminea and it does give off an odor that is pleasant to the nose, but I would think that it would impart an unpleasant taste in the food that you cooked with it.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline ThatsAmore

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 07:04:36 PM »
I agree with Klink.  I would tend to think it would taste like you cooked on a 2x4   :-D
Who put that pie in my eye ?

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 07:00:53 AM »
Is it bad for your health, flavor or a BGE to use pieces of wood from a backyard (mostly pines) to heat up the oven for pizza making? I just use charcoal and wood chips now, but I'd save some money, and probably end up baking more on my BGE if I could just use wood from around my yard instead.

Thanks for taking time to read/reply!

Don't be cheap here - you spend a lot on the BGE, Pine or regular charcoal will kill the Egg. You have to use lump charcoal.

pizzapan