Author Topic: KettlePizza info?!  (Read 1128 times)

Offline Toms_Strat

KettlePizza info?!
« on: August 01, 2012, 11:01:33 PM »
Okay boys and girls,  I ordered my Pizza Kettle, and I know some here are fans and some are foes.  Me?  I Love it!  The main concern I read about is that you can't get the temps needed for a good pizza.  Myth Busted!  A little oak and walnut and I blew the 1000 deg. number of my thermometer out of the water ( melted the aluminium of my top).  This was good and bad.  I wasn't expecting it due to all I have read, so my first pie was a charred mess..... BUT, me and momma ate around it!   Pizza number two was perfect!  Temp was a little lower, cooked fast and tasted great!   So, here is my first concern in which I need your input.  The crust, once cut, was a bit too doughy.  the crust was crisp on bottom, moist on top, but I want the crust to have a open light feel.   It was just "doughy".  I think I have read where my recipe is not moist enough, but I am new, so maybe not!?!?!   Any input, so long as it is not "You screwed up buying the kettle"  would be more than appreciated.  I plan on trying a few more this weekend, with more water, so wish me luck!  BTW, you guys are an awesome group that I am glad to be part of!!!

Thanks,
Tom

buceriasdon

Re: KettlePizza info?!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 06:50:12 AM »
Tom, Before anyone can advise you on changes that might be in order we need to know what your present dough recipe is. Can't give directions without knowing where you are.
Don

Offline Toms_Strat

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 08:23:15 AM »
Don, thanks, guess I should have thought of that!  This is what I have been using so far:

2 1/4 teaspoon instant dry active yeast
1 cup warm water
1/2 tablespoon sugar
3 cups bread flour, or as needed
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon salt

I let it rise for an hour then punch it down and divide it in two.  refrigerate for a day or two then let it warm back up and work it out from there...

Thanks!

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 09:44:54 AM »
Don, thanks, guess I should have thought of that!  This is what I have been using so far:

2 1/4 teaspoon instant dry active yeast
1 cup warm water
1/2 tablespoon sugar
3 cups bread flour, or as needed
2 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoon salt

I let it rise for an hour then punch it down and divide it in two.  refrigerate for a day or two then let it warm back up and work it out from there...

Thanks!
Tom, are you sure you gave us the right recipe...21/4 t yeast? Also, have you considered switching to %'s...much easier to decipher for most people on the forum and you will find it a better for you to keep things straight...just takes a minimal amount to getting used to Tom.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 09:48:12 AM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

buceriasdon

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 10:36:12 AM »
Tom, I guesstimate your hydration ratio to be between 62 and 63%, nothing totally wacked there. You didn't mention bake time or temps. but if you are gettings temps. over 650F. and closer to 700 or more you might try two dough formulas to test, one without sugar, that's quite a bit, and the oil. Flour, water, salt 2%, and yeast. The other one your present recipe and do a bake off. Also when you say "doughy" are you meaning the rim is dense? Next time get some photos of the sides of the cut pizza.
Don

Offline Toms_Strat

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 09:37:35 AM »
I guess I can try and switch to %, maybe that would help... 
Dense is exactly right, and the feel of undercooked dough.  I had a picture of the edge and deleted it!  I am going to attempt another round of pizza this Saturday, I will be more thorough in my measuring and picture taking.
I really appreciate the responses so far, nice to have objective help!

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2012, 01:36:15 PM »
I would try cutting back on the oil. 2T seems like a lot for that amount of dough. That may be what is making it "doughy."
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline Toms_Strat

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 05:00:18 PM »
Thanks!  I'll make two batches tonight, try to convert to %, then torch them tomorrow and see what I got!  I'll try for better pics/details so I can provide a better post too!  Thanks again to all....

pizzapan