Author Topic: Pepperoni Frustration  (Read 21661 times)

Offline Everlast

Re: Pepperoni Frustration
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 07:52:18 PM »
I think I would have to have it shipped to CA. It will cost me $27 ($13.50 + $13.31 shipping) for 14oz. I'm very tempted. Is it really that good?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 07:56:25 PM »
It is incredible stuff. Before you spend $31/lb, you might try asking your local grocery stores if they will bring it in for you.

I haven't been able to find it locally here lately, and have been considering the same question. I asked the store that had it to get it back, so I'll see what happens.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2012, 09:40:58 AM »
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that absolutely no pepperoni is worth $31/lb. but maybe that's just the cheapo in my screamin "you're doing it wrong!".
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline ryansm

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2012, 01:13:47 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies! It's all very helpful.

I have a couple of questions about Hormel retail vs. food service pepperoni. I found a bulk food store that sells several Hormel pepperoni products that are from their food service branch. Does anyone know anything about the differences between these? The food service pepperoni is Hormel #5760 http://www.hormelfoodservice.com/products/product-details.aspx?itemno=5760 and I'm curious how it compares to the regular Hormel retail pepperoni http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/hormel/hormelpepperoni.aspx#

The two have different serving sizes, but when I scaled the nutrition facts to equal serving sizes, the food service pepperoni is about 6.7% lower in calories, fat, cholesterol, sodium, etc. They're clearly different formulations, but I don't have any clue about the taste differences. Does anyone have any insight?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2012, 01:20:59 PM »
I can buy it locally and have it shipped pretty cheaply. PM me your address and I wil send you a couple of sticks.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,17110.msg166536.html#msg166536

John

Offline ryansm

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 01:40:32 PM »
John,

Are you referring to buying the VT pepperoni locally in MA? If so, can you share the stores where it's available? I'll in MA next week, and if it's available in any stores, I might pick some up.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 02:19:30 PM »
John,

Are you referring to buying the VT pepperoni locally in MA? If so, can you share the stores where it's available? I'll in MA next week, and if it's available in any stores, I might pick some up.

They sell it at Roche Brothers. Mine is in Natick, Ma. I would contact the company and see what other retailers carry it, maybe there is one close to where you are traveling. It is worth going out of your way for.

John

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 02:28:35 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replies! It's all very helpful.

I have a couple of questions about Hormel retail vs. food service pepperoni. I found a bulk food store that sells several Hormel pepperoni products that are from their food service branch. Does anyone know anything about the differences between these? The food service pepperoni is Hormel #5760 http://www.hormelfoodservice.com/products/product-details.aspx?itemno=5760 and I'm curious how it compares to the regular Hormel retail pepperoni http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/hormel/hormelpepperoni.aspx#

The two have different serving sizes, but when I scaled the nutrition facts to equal serving sizes, the food service pepperoni is about 6.7% lower in calories, fat, cholesterol, sodium, etc. They're clearly different formulations, but I don't have any clue about the taste differences. Does anyone have any insight?

I worked at Hormel for a couple years. It's been a while, but my recollection is that those two products you mentioned (assuming you are looking at the retail pillow pack) were virtually identical. I think the 30g serving size might be an error. That would be a strange serving size. I'd be surprised if you could tell a difference. If there are differences, I would suspect they have to do with keeping the color bright in the retail packages - though it does look like the FS product has more sodium. Note though that both of these are "pork, beef," in the ingredient statement.

The more popular foodservice products were listed "pork and beef," in the ingredient statement such as 32048 or 45128. I don't know if they are identical, but the retail wallet pack pepperoni (with the two inner packs of shingled pepperoni slices) is also listed "pork and beef"  in the ingredients and the nutritional statement is the same as 32048 and 45128.

I don't know that I've ever tried the retail pillow pack and the wallet pack side by side. My guess is the wallet pack is better.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 02:43:50 PM »
The air impingement ovens used by many of the big box pizza stores deliver a lot of intense heat to the top of the pizza and really create an almost toasted pepperoni characteristic which goes a long ways toward intensifying the flavor. We have made pizzas for customers where the pepperoni was so toasted that it was getting crispy , like a piece of bacon (admittedly, a little more than I personally like) and the flavor was sharper than with a lesser baked pepperoni.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline ryansm

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 02:48:49 PM »
Craig,

Thank you so much for the detailed response! Interesting that you think the 30 g serving size may be an error, the 3 pound packages at the store had the same label, so if it is an error, it's not just on the website, but on the actual product as well.

That's very interesting about the pork, beef vs. pork and beef distinction. I don't see any products on the retail page that list pork and beef as the first ingredient, am I missing it? I have been using the pillow package, and that's the only Hormel pepperoni I've tried.

Offline ryansm

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2012, 02:51:02 PM »
Tom, thank you for confirming that speculation. Is there anything one can do with a home oven to get closer to that? Obviously they're entirely different beasts, but would rack position or broiling help? Or would that result in an entirely different outcome?

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2012, 04:00:39 PM »
Craig,

Thank you so much for the detailed response! Interesting that you think the 30 g serving size may be an error, the 3 pound packages at the store had the same label, so if it is an error, it's not just on the website, but on the actual product as well.

That's very interesting about the pork, beef vs. pork and beef distinction. I don't see any products on the retail page that list pork and beef as the first ingredient, am I missing it? I have been using the pillow package, and that's the only Hormel pepperoni I've tried.

If it's on the package too, it's probably not an error, but you can't rule it out. I discovered an error on nutritional statement of a retail dough ball a couple months ago. The manufacturer acknowledged it was an error.

As for a Hormel retail "pork and beef" product, check the wallet pack, it's the cardboard box with two plastic inner packages with about 25 slices of pepperoni shingled in each. If your store stocks it, it's probably right next to the pillow packs, but not always.

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline atom

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2012, 04:50:04 PM »
It sounds like you are after a pretty strong or spicy flavor from your pepperoni. If you are willing to try something mild but very pleasant I use "Mama Mary's" pepperoni which I find at my local Wal-Mart. It is kept near the pizza shells and jarred pizza sauce, nowhere near the other pepperoni in the store.

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2012, 11:14:21 AM »

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2012, 12:46:10 PM »
John,

I was in Whole Foods in West Hartford, CT yesterday and saw the Vermont Smoke and Cure snack sticks and summer sausage so it's very possible they carry the pepperoni also.  You might want to check Whole Foods if there is one where you are staying in MA
Deb

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2012, 10:56:52 AM »
I think I've seen Bridgford sticks locally, but am hesitant to try them due to a mediocre taste test review by Cook's Illustrated and the fact that I hate slicing pepperoni. Are there any Bridgford proponents here? Is it worth it?

Try Bridgford; there's nothing to lose. Yes, it is absolutely worth it.

Bridgford 16oz sticks are very good, easy to acquire, and affordable, but they are also very greasy and labor intensive. I've used Bridgford exclusively for several years now, mostly because it tastes good but partly because I don't want to buy a case of something else, not knowing if I'll even like it.

I actually did buy a case of Ezzo several years ago (25 lbs), for about $70 if I remember correctly. (I'm sure the price has gone up considerably by now.) I probably only used about half of the pepperoni because I didn't think it was as good as the hype, but I still think it was a much better deal than paying $40 or $50 for five pizzas' worth of pepperoni. As I know now (thanks to the dumpster diving method of research), there is at least one specific brand of pepperoni that I would gladly buy by the case, which I may do if I start making more pizzas than I have been making.

If my only reasonable alternative to buying a case was to buy 21oz of the best pepperoni in the universe at $40 or $50, I would definitely buy the case. That's not a tough call, either, even considering the raves of respected pizza freaks in earlier posts. But first I would take the time to make sure I'm absolutely sure I like what's in the case.

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2012, 11:20:44 AM »
I think I've seen Bridgford sticks locally, but am hesitant to try them due to a mediocre taste test review by Cook's Illustrated and the fact that I hate slicing pepperoni. Are there any Bridgford proponents here? Is it worth it?

Cook's Illustrated reviewed the prepackaged slices, Ryan, not the sticks...

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tastetests/overview.asp?docid=25861

The Bridgford stick pepperoni, if you're not too darn lazy to slice it yourself, is actually quite good.   ;D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:22:35 AM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2012, 11:55:48 AM »
Cook's Illustrated reviewed the prepackaged slices, Ryan, not the sticks...

The Bridgford stick pepperoni, if you're not too darn lazy to slice it yourself, is actually quite good.   ;D

Oh, OK. That makes sense.

In case anyone doesn't know, the Bridgford sliced pepperoni is nothing like their stick pepperoni. I would not buy the sliced packet. Also, the smaller Bridgford stick (7 oz?) is not the same as the 16 oz stick. The 16 oz stick is much better (my opinion, of course).

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2012, 12:02:03 PM »
The 16 oz stick is much better (my opinion, of course).

This is indeed what I buy for home use!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Bigfoot21075

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2012, 11:16:21 AM »
If you can ever splurge the Vermont Cure & Smoke is the way to go

It will cup in a regular home oven

I ABSOLUTLY LOVE THAT STUFF! It was fantastic, but it is WAY too expensive for me to use all the time between purchase price and shipping.

I use the boars head sliced, it is ok. I am going to try Hormel commercial stuff next time I go to Resturant Depot.

pizzapan