Author Topic: Pepperoni Frustration  (Read 15733 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pepperoni Frustration
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2012, 12:03:53 PM »
It looks like the drought is having an effect on prices. The other day, while I was at my local supermarket, I saw the 7-ounce package of Hormel pepperoni slices selling at $3.49. That is half the price of the Vermont Smoked Pepperoni. If I were able to buy the Vermont Smoked Pepperoni without having to pay shipping charges, I would gladly pay double the price of the Hormel pack.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2012, 12:14:24 PM »
I got a note from Central Market yesterday that they will have it back in stock in Houston on Saturday. If they don't currently have it in Dallas, I bet they would be happy to get it for you.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Everlast

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2012, 01:29:41 PM »
I have my local Whole Foods checking with their distributor to see if Vermont Smoke & Cure smoked pepperoni is available on the West Coast. I would think that if it makes it to Texas, then CA is not that much further. I'll post back here once I have an update.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2012, 01:34:24 PM »
I got a note from Central Market yesterday that they will have it back in stock in Houston on Saturday. If they don't currently have it in Dallas, I bet they would be happy to get it for you.

Craig,

I called the Central Market in Dallas and was told that they carry the Vermont Smoked Pepperoni in that store.

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2012, 11:46:39 PM »
I tried the Molinari pepperoni tonight, and it was pretty tasty. It cupped beautifully (I think it was the collagen casing that did it), but it didn't really brown much around the rim which would be my only complaint. Not as good as Vermont by a long shot, but it will do in a pinch for sure.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2012, 11:49:35 PM »
This was a 50 second bake. I bet with a longer bake, it would brown around the rim nicely. For whatever reason, Vermont Smoked Pepperoni will brown around the rim in a 50-60 second bake.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2012, 11:59:04 PM »
50 little seconds........man, that is so amazing.....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2012, 12:14:04 AM »
Just for clarity, the first pic was a 50 second bake with Molinari pepperoni. The second pics was a 55ish second bake with Vermont smoked pepperoni.

CL

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2012, 01:22:03 AM »
I actually did buy a case of Ezzo several years ago (25 lbs), for about $70 if I remember correctly. (I'm sure the price has gone up considerably by now.) I probably only used about half of the pepperoni because I didn't think it was as good as the hype, but I still think it was a much better deal than paying $40 or $50 for five pizzas' worth of pepperoni. As I know now (thanks to the dumpster diving method of research), there is at least one specific brand of pepperoni that I would gladly buy by the case, which I may do if I start making more pizzas than I have been making.
Did you know that PennMac sells Ezzo that they repackage in 1-pound vacuum-sealed bags? http://www.pennmac.com/items/4288//pizza-baking-supplies I used to have a connection in Columbus that I got my Ezzo from but since he retired I have been forced to get it at PennMac. Unfortunately PennMac doesn't have Ezzo Supreme Special which is the best Ezzo IMO, but they do have GiAntonio which is still very good.

It's too bad you can't find a shop down there in Columbus that uses Ezzo that may sell you some. When I lived in Central Ohio (80's), there were tons of shops that used Ezzo.

I have tried several other brands of pepperoni but I always come back to Ezzo. I want to try this Vermont smoked stuff though

I actually ran out of Ezzo and for tonight's pies I went to the local supermarket for some pepperoni. They normally have Bridgford sticks but they were out. I have used Brigeford before and it's okay. Unfortunately, they were sold out of everything except Hormel slices, so I reluctantly bought them because my daughter won't eat pizza without pepperoni. Now I remember why I don't like Hormel. It is way too greasy. I had to wash my hands after dealing the pepperoni because they were loaded with grease, and this is before it was even baked. I've got no problem with some grease on the pie but these had puddles of grease, even though I used less than I normally do. I had to mop up some of the grease off the pizzas with a paper towel. I used less because most pepperoni has more grease than Ezzo, but this was way too much.

Just for clarity, the first pic was a 50 second bake with Molinari pepperoni. The second pics was a 55ish second bake with Vermont smoked pepperoni.
Yeah it's a good thing you cleared that up Craig, I knew it had to be at least 3-4 seconds longer.  :-D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:31:42 AM by Colonel_Klink »
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2012, 09:56:28 AM »
I can get ezzo from RDP food distributors here in columbus, but often find that it's too much for my needs. If we ohioans wanted to band together, we could get some ezzo. I don't know if they have the supreme special, but I got a 38mm pep that without the casings that was pretty good for pre-sliced pepperoni. It only comes in 25 lb cases, and is about $100, which I'm told works out to about a penny a slice. Lemme know if this is something anyone is interested in and we can work it out.
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Online Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2012, 11:44:32 AM »
Did you know that PennMac sells Ezzo that they repackage in 1-pound vacuum-sealed bags?

Yeah. Actually I had been meaning to take a trip there, originally to get some Grande mozzarella, some Ezzo pepperoni, some Stanislaus product(s), and All Trumps flour. But I've since found a Stanislaus product that I really like at a local Italian market, as well as loaves of Polly-O mozzarella (which I've concluded is the only cheese other than Grande that I actually like). Also, I went ahead and bought a bag of All Trumps at RDP, so I won't need any of that for at least a year.

GiAntonio is the specific brand I didn't name in my earlier post. It's the brand I found while dumpster diving. Even though it's not top shelf (I assume), I like it a lot because it's not overpowering.

I'm sick of excessively greasy pepperoni, too. That's one of the things I don't like about the Bridgford stick. But compared to everything else I can easily get locally, Bridgford is awesome, so I'm willing to overlook that and deal with it.

I probably could find a shop around here that would sell me the kind of stuff I'd like to use, but I guess I've dealt with enough pizzeria owners (largely through attempted consultancy) to know that they typically do everything the hardest way and least friendly way possible. If I had a pizzeria, I'd gladly sell a few pounds of cheese or pepperoni to someone like myself, but the typical pizzeria owner feels some kind of need to be an obstacle to everyone, including their own business. That's a big reason why we don't see many of them on these boards. (It's not because they know more than us; it's because they know less than us but think they know everything.)

Offline ryansm

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2012, 11:55:19 AM »
Thanks again to everyone for your responses and suggestions!

I was able to try the Vermont pepperoni while I was in New England, and it's very, very good! I was only able to find a small sample size (a ~1 oz stick). John, I only read your post about it being available at Roche Bros after I had already returned home...and I had passed right through Natick on the way!

I also took the advice on here and tried Bridgford pepperoni, and I quite like it! I bought both the presliced and the stick, but so far, I've only tried the presliced. Good to know the stick is significantly different, but I'm quite happy with the presliced. I like the flavor much more than the other national brands I have access to, as well as the texture and the way it cooks. I keep forgetting that Cook's Illustrated and I have very different tastes, and that I should just ignore what their taste tests say, really.

Online Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2012, 11:57:54 AM »
I can get ezzo from RDP food distributors here in columbus, but often find that it's too much for my needs. If we ohioans wanted to band together, we could get some ezzo. I don't know if they have the supreme special, but I got a 38mm pep that without the casings that was pretty good for pre-sliced pepperoni. It only comes in 25 lb cases, and is about $100, which I'm told works out to about a penny a slice. Lemme know if this is something anyone is interested in and we can work it out.

That's where I bought a case once. I'm almost certainly game for splitting a case with you, as long as we're both after the same product; especially since I think we both tend to go through a lot more product than even most of the rabid pizza nuts on these boards.

One prospective obstacle: I'm pretty much only interested in the GiAntonio, and I suspect you're looking for the higher-end stuff. I wouldn't want either of us to settle for something we don't really want. So if you are after GiAntonio, let me know. And if you're after something else, let me know what it is so I can try to figure out if it's something I might want.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2012, 12:22:42 PM »
I would want the 38mm with the collagen casing. It is the collagen casing that makes the slices cup up and crisp on the edges.

Boy times have changed. When I used to order Ezzo for the shop(s) that I worked for, I think that it was something like $39/box. This was almost 30 years ago. If it's $100/box then my friend that was getting it for me was giving me a good deal because he used to sell me 10lbs for $25. He said that it was his cost but it is possible that he was giving me a good deal because that's the kind of guy he is.

I'd be in on a group buy, but I don't think that it would be worth the effort unless there was significant savings. $100/box comes to $4/lb. PennMac sells it for $4.99/lb. It lasts for a while in the refrigerator but I imagine that vacuum sealed it lasts even longer. PennMac claims that they vacuum seal them as soon as they get their delivery. One disadvantage to the vacuum sealing is that the slices stick together more, which takes a little longer to deal them out, but that's not a big deal when your just making a few pies at home.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:25:28 PM by Colonel_Klink »

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2012, 12:28:45 PM »
BTW, Ezzo has GiAntonio both with and without the collagen casing.

Online Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2012, 02:57:43 PM »
Boy times have changed. When I used to order Ezzo for the shop(s) that I worked for, I think that it was something like $39/box.

Nick and I are paying the little guy prices (closer to retail, but not retail) when we buy from RDP. If we were buying ten or twenty cases a week (like the shop you worked at), we'd be paying significantly less. Not $39 a case, of course, but probably at least ten percent lower than what they charge us. I think it's a very fair system, especially compared to Restaurant Depot's "We won't sell to you" policy. (Screw Restaurant Depot. When I have the busiest pizzeria in Columbus someday, guess who they're still not gonna sell to.)

I'd be in on a group buy, but I don't think that it would be worth the effort unless there was significant savings. $100/box comes to $4/lb. PennMac sells it for $4.99/lb.

Pittsburgh is a lot longer drive for Nick and I. (You're in Cleveland, right?) That gas money really drives up the cost. Alternatively, shipping drives up the cost.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2012, 03:59:26 PM »
Boy I sure wish I was within driving distance of Penn Mac...I had to quit them because of their "handling" fees. You'd think that Styrofoam cooler was made of gold....even on a dry goods order they sur-charge waaay too much.

Online Aimless Ryan

• Snarky
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2012, 04:12:15 PM »
Boy I sure wish I was within driving distance of Penn Mac...I had to quit them because of their "handling" fees. You'd think that Styrofoam cooler was made of gold....even on a dry goods order they sur-charge waaay too much.

I think I've read a similar post from you somewhere (a cheese thread maybe). That's what made me figure I'd be better off just driving, especially considering how many different things I was planning to buy, which would drive the shipping cost way up. Another factor is that it's just nice to take a little trip now and then. (You may have heard that I like to travel.)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2012, 05:12:28 PM »
Oh yes, when at their web site one can try to play with the numbers and sometimes come up with an order that's not too gouging but then you have to be putting some of your must haves back up on the shelf .Bottom line is that you generally can count on adding about 30% to your total for S&H and that is cRaZy!!

I think everyone here knows you like to travel, Ryan. Your story is quite compelling.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2012, 09:04:30 PM »
My last pepperoni order from PennMac was for 6 pounds. The shipping was $12.60 via FedEx ground. I just checked on FedEx's website and the actual shipping cost for a 8lb package (6lb + 2lbs for box and freeze paks) from Pittsburgh to my house is $9.54. So they charged $3.06 for "handling." When you consider how much the Styrofoam-lined box and freeze paks would cost, I don't think that that is all that unreasonable.

At today's gas prices, it would cost me a lot more than $12.60 to drive to Pittsburgh and back. The total cost is still less than I would be paying for the little packets of pepperoni in the supermarkets and I'm getting a superior product IMO.

YMMV if you are farther from Pittsburgh, but that's because the actual shipping costs are higher, not because PennMac is charging you more. Shipping rates are high now because of the fuel surcharges. Those out west might as well forget about PennMac for perishables because they must me shipped via air.