Author Topic: Pepperoni Frustration  (Read 15998 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Pepperoni Frustration
« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2012, 04:30:48 PM »
Bob,

I once bought the Boar's Head pepperoni while I was on a trip to North Carolina but I forgot it in my hotel room refrigerator when I checked out :-D. My recollection is that the Boar's Head product, unlike the Vermont product, is sold in a refrigerator case.

Peter
Ha! My girlfriend is employed with Hilton Hotels here in NC...if you left it at one of her places I would know what it tastes like... ;)
Yes, Boar's Head is in the refrigerator case here.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2012, 04:46:08 PM »
Yes, Boar's Head is in the refrigerator case here.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to be refrigerated before opening - nor does Hormel and probably most of the others for that matter.
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2012, 04:56:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure it doesn't need to be refrigerated before opening - nor does Hormel and probably most of the others for that matter.
Maybe for ease of display in my area they keep all the BH products together in a refrigerated case.
I'm wondering if the Bridgeford pepperoni items I see here in the aisle kiosks taste better than Hormel pillow packs. I can deal/manipulate grease factors...jus curious as to it's flavor...

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #83 on: August 17, 2012, 05:22:22 PM »
Maybe for ease of display in my area they keep all the BH products together in a refrigerated case.
I'm wondering if the Bridgeford pepperoni items I see here in the aisle kiosks taste better than Hormel pillow packs. I can deal/manipulate

I think it is because customers typically like to see meat refrigerated.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #84 on: August 17, 2012, 07:27:29 PM »
I just ordered 4 sticks of Vermont Pepperoni. On the vermontsmokeandcure.com website they want a small fortune for S&H. I ordered from here:
http://www.joyus.com/shop/channel/food/catalog/1-51850/vt-smoke-cure-smoked-pepperoni-2-7-oz-sticks?vp=412

The same price and free shipping for orders over $25. $27.00 total for 4 sticks.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #85 on: August 17, 2012, 08:01:22 PM »
Good find Don.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #86 on: August 17, 2012, 08:20:57 PM »
I just ordered 4 sticks of Vermont Pepperoni. On the vermontsmokeandcure.com website they want a small fortune for S&H. I ordered from here:
http://www.joyus.com/shop/channel/food/catalog/1-51850/vt-smoke-cure-smoked-pepperoni-2-7-oz-sticks?vp=412

The same price and free shipping for orders over $25. $27.00 total for 4 sticks.
$16.60 lb. delivered....very nice indeed Don. Thank you...

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #87 on: August 17, 2012, 08:33:28 PM »
$16.60 lb. delivered....very nice indeed Don. Thank you...

Bob,

Did you mean $15.43 a pound?

Peter

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #88 on: August 17, 2012, 08:37:53 PM »
Probably....but I like to anticipate inflation rates.... 8)
Thank you friend..... ;D

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #89 on: August 30, 2012, 05:04:18 PM »
I just received my order of VT pepperoni from Joyus. I guess you get what you pay for with the free shipping. I ordered on 8/17 and they didn't ship until 8/28. They sent it Priority Mail which only took 2 days from CA. You've heard the saying, "hurry up and wait"...well this was "wait and hurry up."  ::)

There is another problem though. I ordered a quantity of two 2-packs, so they should have sent me a total of 4 sticks, but they only sent 2. I just sent them an e-mail pointing out their mistake.

Did you get yours yet Bob? Did they send you one or two sticks?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #90 on: August 30, 2012, 05:07:36 PM »
I just received my order of VT pepperoni from Joyus. I guess you get what you pay for with the free shipping. I ordered on 8/17 and they didn't ship until 8/28. They sent it Priority Mail which only took 2 days from CA. You've heard the saying, "hurry up and wait"...well this was "wait and hurry up."  ::)

There is another problem though. I ordered a quantity of two 2-packs, so they should have sent me a total of 4 sticks, but they only sent 2. I just sent them an e-mail pointing out their mistake.

Did you get yours yet Bob? Did they send you one or two sticks?
No Don, haven't ordered yet  ::)
Bummer about your messed up order/ordeal....maybe I'll order up Northeast of us here. Let us know if they give ya a 'lil bonus for your troubles. And, of course how you like the product...thanks.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 05:11:49 PM by Chicago Bob »

Offline dokpm0

• Raw Fed Dogs
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2012, 01:38:16 PM »
I have not tried it although I suspect that I can find it in Dallas somewhere.
HEBs in Waco carry it.  I would think Dallas HEBs would carry it also.  I've found both the pre-sliced and stick variety in Waco.  I like the stick version a little better, and since it's in the cold case next to the deli department they'll slice it for me.  They also have the huge sandwich sized Boar's Head pepperoni in the deli case. 

Kevin

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2012, 01:47:27 PM »
  They also have the huge sandwich sized Boar's Head pepperoni in the deli case. 

Do you like that pepperoni Kevin?

Offline dokpm0

• Raw Fed Dogs
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2012, 01:50:00 PM »
I ordered from here:

I'm not sure if I should be thankful or annoyed by your find.   :)  You might cause me to stretch my pizza supply budget more than I intended to today.  I already ordered some 6 IN 1s from Escalon and an Ischia culture from SourDo this morning.  JoyUs's free shipping offer has gone up.  It's now for orders over $50.   >:(  Even without free shipping their shipping charges are MUCH more reasonable than VTSmokeAndCure.com.  I don't think I'm going to be able resist the temptation.  I really want to try the Vermont pepperoni. 
Kevin

Offline dokpm0

• Raw Fed Dogs
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2012, 01:54:02 PM »
Do you like that pepperoni Kevin?
I've only tried it once.  Although I love pepperoni on pizza I'm not too crazy about it on a sandwich. 
Kevin

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2012, 02:02:41 PM »
I'm not sure if I should be thankful or annoyed by your find.   :)  You might cause me to stretch my pizza supply budget more than I intended to today.  I already ordered some 6 IN 1s from Escalon and an Ischia culture from SourDo this morning.  JoyUs's free shipping offer has gone up.  It's now for orders over $50.   >:(  Even without free shipping their shipping charges are MUCH more reasonable than .  I don't think I'm going to be able resist the temptation.  I really want to try the Vermont pepperoni. 
Yeah, I probably would have only ordered 2 sticks had they not had the free shipping for >$25 order. Like you said, their S&H charge is much more reasonable than VTSmokeAndCure.com. I wonder if you pay for shipping if they still take so long before they ship.

I got an e-mail back from them about shorting me the 2 sticks. They were very polite and apologetic and said that they would send me the other 2 sticks right away.

I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Offline dokpm0

• Raw Fed Dogs
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2012, 02:15:15 PM »
I wonder if you pay for shipping if they still take so long before they ship.
As I suspected I couldn't resist ordering some.  I started with two sticks to see how I like it.  Based on other comments and photos I'm sure I'm going to love it and wish I had ordered more. 

Since I paid for shipping I'll make note of how long it takes them to ship my order and how long it takes for it to arrive after it's shipped.  My order confirmation e-mail shows an expected delivery date between September 7th and 12th.

Does anyone have any tips on hand slicing pepperoni. 
Kevin

Offline dokpm0

• Raw Fed Dogs
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2012, 02:24:26 PM »
I ordered from here:

Does anyone maintain a list anywhere of reasonably priced sources, including reasonably priced shipping and handling charges, for pizza fixins?  When I first started searching for ingredient sources all I could find was recommendations for PennMac.  But shipping from PennMac to my area starts at over $18.  I just recently discovered that I could order 6 IN 1 tomatoes directly from Escalon, and now have found this source for pepperoni.  I guess I should browse around and see what else JoyUs carries.  I'm still looking for reasonably priced sources for flour and cheese. 
Kevin

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2012, 02:35:48 PM »
Does anyone maintain a list anywhere of reasonably priced sources, including reasonably priced shipping and handling charges, for pizza fixins?

Kevin,

Since this thread is directed to pepperoni product, you might want to start a new thread under Resources and pose your questions there. You might also note where you live since that might affect the answers given to your questions.

Peter

Offline dokpm0

• Raw Fed Dogs
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2012, 03:00:29 PM »
Since this thread is directed to pepperoni product, you might want to start a new thread under Resources and pose your questions there.

Good point, will do.  Actually, the question would probably fit into the Online store for all things pizza thread quite nicely.  

You might also note where you live since that might affect the answers given to your questions.

Another good point.  I probably shouldn't assume everyone would look at the location shown above my avatar photo.  And even for those that do, how many would know where Bruceville is?   :)  I work in Waco.  That's probably more recognizable. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 03:29:05 PM by dokpm0 »
Kevin

pizzapan