Author Topic: Pepperoni Frustration  (Read 21244 times)

Offline dokpm0

• Raw Fed Dogs
Re: Pepperoni Frustration
« Reply #100 on: September 11, 2012, 04:28:13 PM »
I wonder if you pay for shipping if they still take so long before they ship.
Since I paid for shipping I'll make note of how long it takes them to ship my order and how long it takes for it to arrive after it's shipped.  My order confirmation e-mail shows an expected delivery date between September 7th and 12th.
I placed the order on Friday, August 31st.  The following Monday, September 3rd, was a holiday.  Joyus shipped my order on Wednesday, the 5th, and I received it on Saturday the 8th.
Kevin

What's the definition of a legacy system? One that works!
Errare humanum est, ignoscere caninum.

Offline Don K

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #101 on: September 11, 2012, 04:34:03 PM »
Since I paid for shipping I'll make note of how long it takes them to ship my order and how long it takes for it to arrive after it's shipped.  My order confirmation e-mail shows an expected delivery date between September 7th and 12th.

I placed the order on Friday, August 31st.  The following Monday, September 3rd, was a holiday.  Joyus shipped my order on Wednesday, the 5th, and I received it on Saturday the 8th.
That's not too bad. They sent out the two sticks that were missing from my initial order the next day, as they said that they would.
The member formerly known as Colonel_Klink

Offline pythonic

• Pizza......its what's for dinner!
« Reply #102 on: September 28, 2012, 06:36:28 PM »
Another possibility is to check out the pepperoni at Trader Joes.  It's way better than Boars Head and cheap.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Pizza De Puta

« Reply #103 on: November 04, 2012, 03:10:38 PM »
I purchased a stick of Molinari pepperoni this week and was really impressed with this product.  I have not been satisfied with any of the pepperoni I had found up until this point (Armour, TJs, Gallo).  However, I sliced this up by hand and it cupped beautifully during baking.  The flavor is more subtle with a nice complexity, giving-up a hint as to its high quality.  It this the first I've tried that wasn't extreme or harsh flavored.  This pepperoni was part of a charity gig I did on Saturday and this pizza garnered several compliments as it was devoured quickly.
RE

Offline Everlast

« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2013, 02:44:48 PM »
I just ordered the last package of Vermont Smoke and Cure pepperoni from joyus.com and am finally going to give it a try. Since it comes in a stick, does anyone have a recommendation on the best way to slice pepperoni? I have a Cuisinart food processor where I can dial in the thickness of cut but I was hoping to get some properly sliced pepperoni right out of the gates rather than experimenting with different thicknesses. I've sliced stick pepperoni before but don't feel I've attained the right thickness yet. I've seen some of the other posts on pepperoni slicing but haven't found anything with specifics.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 02:47:30 PM by Everlast »

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2013, 03:04:21 PM »
Personally, I use a nice sharp knife and do it by hand. Thickness really depends on your personal taste. Plus, thinner slices gives better mileage per stick. Anything in the 3/32-1/8 inch region works for me.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 03:07:06 PM by Ev »

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2013, 03:41:16 PM »
Another possibility is to check out the pepperoni at Trader Joes.  It's way better than Boars Head and cheap.

Nate is this the TJs brand or labbeled as such?  Not just sold there correct?  Does it come in slices or as a stick?

Offline Omidz

• My rolling test kitchen
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2013, 07:23:18 PM »
has anyone tried Hobbs pepperoni?

I wonder if Vermont has a bulk program to bring the pricing back to a manageable amount for food service.

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2013, 07:50:33 PM »
I have been buying Vermont pepperoni from Murray's Cheese.com for a while. They have a new shipping method and I can get 6 sticks sent to Cali for $15, second day in a cold box.
Best flavor and texture and size I have found.

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline Omidz

• My rolling test kitchen
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2013, 07:59:30 PM »
Awesome thanks for the tip Mark. Are you using them for personal use or commercial? What is the net wt. of 6 sticks for $15 bucks that seems not too far off from other brands which is great.

Online mkevenson

• Lifetime Member
  • Roos! Protector of Fowl
« Reply #110 on: January 09, 2013, 08:09:19 PM »
Awesome thanks for the tip Mark. Are you using them for personal use or commercial? What is the net wt. of 6 sticks for $15 bucks that seems not too far off from other brands which is great.

They are 8oz per stick. The $15 is the shipping cost. Used to be $10 for 3 sticks.
I use at home.
http://www.murrayscheese.com/pepperoni-stick-vermont-smoke-and-cure.html

Mark
"Gettin' better all the time" Beatles

Offline RKARL

« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2013, 09:51:03 AM »
Hi Ryan -

It might be all in my head, but I swear there are different grades of Margherita pepperoni.  I have bought some at my local grocery store and have been disappointed, but you can't beat Margherita pepperoni when it's the good stuff.  I found a local italian deli that has the best Margharita pepperoni.  You should give it a try.  Here's where I get it from: http://www.alescifoods.com/products/342

Best of luck in your pepperoni search!

Offline slybarman

« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2013, 03:06:38 PM »
If Applegate Farms is available in your area, they make a delicious pepperoni. There's a restaurant in Los Alamos, CA call Flatbread (my favorite pizza place in Santa Barbara wine country) that uses this very brand on their wood-fired pizzas. It comes pre-sliced and the slices are larger and are nitrate-free. My wife insists that the lack of nitrates makes the pepperoni taste better. I'm not sure that I notice the difference, but the pepperoni is very high quality. Here's a shot of a pizza with it (12").

+1 applegate

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2013, 03:39:22 PM »
Hi Ryan -

It might be all in my head, but I swear there are different grades of Margherita pepperoni.  I have bought some at my local grocery store and have been disappointed, but you can't beat Margherita pepperoni when it's the good stuff.  I found a local italian deli that has the best Margharita pepperoni.  You should give it a try.  Here's where I get it from: http://www.alescifoods.com/products/342

Best of luck in your pepperoni search!

You aren't crazy.  They make one that is packaged in plastic, and one that is not, the sticks are simply banded.  The good stuff does not have the plastic, just the band, and is generally in the deli case in my area. 
-Jeff

Offline blackshifter

• In Memoriam
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2013, 12:53:59 AM »
Nate is this the TJs brand or labbeled as such?  Not just sold there correct?  Does it come in slices or as a stick?

I believe the brand that TJ's in Chicago carries the Ciao brand which is excellent. I also have the option of going to Bari's Subs and Italian market where they make fresh pepperoni.
Rest In Peace - June 2013

Offline grathan

« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2013, 10:48:31 AM »
Just slice it thicker if you need more flavor. I'd rather pile up pepperoni on 2 slices than spread it thinly across the whole pie.

My local grocer has Carando pepperoni which is pretty tasty and inexpensive.

Offline Pepperoni

• burning em up here boss
« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2013, 02:28:30 PM »
hi boy been down the road and ive tried a ton of differant pepperoni...i like it very spicy. there is a good italian market that has about 6 types and i've tried them all and wasnt impressed. so far the gallo brand from the grocery store tastes the best so far as being spicy. its kind of a say silver dollar size and thin so it does not "cup" like some of the stick kinds. i've tried a couple of those real large size like that is pictured above but not sure i like the cheese being covered up. 

Offline Tory

« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2013, 12:58:43 PM »
I've tried Margherita pepperoni and found it to be anything but bland. I like it quite a bit. The only problem I've had with it is that it can easily burn around the edges.

Do you have a Ralphs supermarket nearby? I went in there and got some of their pepperoni. It was good, but way too seasoned for me, almost to the point of making me gag.

Offline oknewell

« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2013, 04:37:50 PM »
It was good, but way too seasoned for me, almost to the point of making me gag.

How does "almost... making me gag" equal "it was good"?  ???

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2013, 05:09:52 PM »
tee-hee   :-D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"